GDT: Game #6| Jan. 27, 2013|Flyers at Lightning |6:00 p.m. ET

Victory5

Apr 12, 2011
Bad loss and I'm split on how to fell about this one.

On the one hand we started out backup goalie who belongs in the ahl, and played an absurd amount of games in the past 10 days after doing nothing for over the better part of 5 months.

Yet, we got a good bounce to start the game, a bunch of PP opportunities and the team ***** the bed. I really cant blame anyone to be honest, with the exception of Read, the Schenn Brothers, they just didnt have it.

Am I the only one a bit pissed off at Giroux for coasting back on the rebound goal. It was a 3 v 1, the dman played it well and leighton gave up a rebound that could have easily been controlled if Giroux actually skated back. Sorry but I'm disappointed in him for that, I get hes been scoring a lot, but I want the captain of the team to lead by example not from behind.

I dont think it will hit us how short this season is for a few more weeks, but we really cant afford to fall behind anymore than we are. This team has to start playing better, right now.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Am I the only one a bit pissed off at Giroux for coasting back on the rebound goal. It was a 3 v 1, the dman played it well and leighton gave up a rebound that could have easily been controlled if Giroux actually skated back. Sorry but I'm disappointed in him for that, I get hes been scoring a lot, but I want the captain of the team to lead by example not from behind.

Giroux really should have gotten back but seriously is that not the worst rebound control you've seen by an NHL goalie in a long time. Leighton made some great saves but that was just terrible.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Greetings from Tampa (I come in peace).

No, he didn't say that. He said "Vinny went to war there." (I'm a STH but I DVR the games to watch again when I get home and I just saw the interview.)

I was half-ear listening and was almost positive I heard wrong... Thanks for the clarification though, and my apologies to Matin Raymond and Bolts fans. :)

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
I was half-ear listening and was almost positive I heard wrong... Thanks for the clarification though, and my apologies to Matin Raymond and Bolts fans. :)

No apology necessary! Marty (the coach) is a bit of a mumbler but I had seen your question so I made a point to listen for it.

One thing's for sure - something bizarre always happens in games between these two teams. Been watching hockey since I was a kid and can't remember ever seeing a triple minor penalty called on a player! Looking forward to seeing you guys again in Philly on 2/5.

Broad st phantom

Oct 28, 2005
philadelphia
They need to wake up sooner rather then later when it comes to back to backs. Other teams are doing it, there's no excuse we can't either. Leighton did what leighton does, makes some good saves and lets in goals. Maybe if the team played with some urgency this wouldn't have matter. Our power play is a joke and should be laughed at by rival teams, we pass it around and lose the puck or take shots that end up with no results. It's almost like they dont know wtf to do. Voracek sucks right now, I thought this year was gonna be his coming out party not as a super star but as a legit threat. So far no, theres still time, but god has he looked terrible.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They still don't know how to play certain teams/systems.

But what bothers me is that they are lacking urgency.
And out new captain just does what everybody else does: instead of getting pissed off and forcing it, he floats and looks frustrated out there.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
They need to wake up sooner rather then later when it comes to back to backs. Other teams are doing it, there's no excuse we can't either. Leighton did what leighton does, makes some good saves and lets in goals. Maybe if the team played with some urgency this wouldn't have matter. Our power play is a joke and should be laughed at by rival teams, we pass it around and lose the puck or take shots that end up with no results. It's almost like they dont know wtf to do. Voracek sucks right now, I thought this year was gonna be his coming out party not as a super star but as a legit threat. So far no, theres still time, but god has he looked terrible.

This quite neatly sums up my thoughts on the team right now. They also have abysmally poor puck control in their own zone, not only coughing it up with regularity but do it in the slot and then it turns into a kindergarten fire drill where multiple opponents are left uncovered.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

And out new captain just does what everybody else does: instead of getting pissed off and forcing it, he floats and looks frustrated out there.

That's the one thing about captains in Philadelphia in recent years that I've noticed - they're all quiet and let their performance on the ice do the talking. They really need a vocal captain and someone who wears his heart on his sleeve. I think if Giroux were to be more vocal, then I think there's no problem. I'm also willing to say that it's six games in and that there's going to be a bit of an adjustment period for Giroux. I'm sure as captain, the last thing he wants to do is rip on players who've been on the team longer than he has. Once he finds his comfort level as captain, we'll see him take off from there.

If there is one thing to be concerned about, Giroux's offensive performance to start the season has been really slow. I thought he would be one of the faster performers out the gate and he hasn't. I think that's something that needs to be addressed.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
That's the one thing about captains in Philadelphia in recent years that I've noticed - they're all quiet and let their performance on the ice do the talking. They really need a vocal captain and someone who wears his heart on his sleeve. I think if Giroux were to be more vocal, then I think there's no problem. I'm also willing to say that it's six games in and that there's going to be a bit of an adjustment period for Giroux. I'm sure as captain, the last thing he wants to do is rip on players who've been on the team longer than he has. Once he finds his comfort level as captain, we'll see him take off from there.

If there is one thing to be concerned about, Giroux's offensive performance to start the season has been really slow. I thought he would be one of the faster performers out the gate and he hasn't. I think that's something that needs to be addressed.

Ovi just got started offensively. I'm not sure we can be worried of roo.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Ovi just got started offensively. I'm not sure we can be worried of roo.

I don't want anyone to jump down my throat but G had one great year after a good year. I don't see it as a slam dunk that he's a 90+ pt guy every yr. so while I think he's much better then his numbers indicate I didn't really expect him to be tearing it up right now. Just my thoughts on the matter

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I don't want anyone to jump down my throat but G had one great year after a good year. I don't see it as a slam dunk that he's a 90+ pt guy every yr. so while I think he's much better then his numbers indicate I didn't really expect him to be tearing it up right now. Just my thoughts on the matter

I see him topping 80-90 every year on a consistent basis given linemates that compliment him. I just posted we go after a PURE shooter, like Perry or Ryder - I think he would lead the league in assists with one of them and on the PP.

I also believe Roo does more on the ice then other offensive dynamos - Ovi in this case - so points won't come at that type of pace b/c points are not his prime objective.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Yeah they really haven't shown much so far against the teams that befuddled them last year except the Rangers who were off that night even though the Flyers still got the job done and showed some adjustment. We'll see how they do tues. However, the games against NJ and Tampa have been really really bad....

Jury still out on Lavi and his adaptability. I do know last year it was really noticeable how he had no clue how to adjust to defensive teams. I mean I just read an article on Carle from Seravalli and Carle quotes how the room did a double take on Lavi's command to basically not play against Tampa's system last year and sit back and wait. While it was funny at the time... when you really think about it I would say it was not very professional of Lavi. I mean Tampa despite that punk a$$ D system sucked that year and other teams figured out how to beat it but Lavi had no answers except to say "I'm taking my puck and going home." I think that kind of showed some troubling aspects of Lavi's coaching although against Pitt he looked like a genius but only b/c Pitt totally fell into the trap of playing us at our own game. Instead NJ imposed their game on the Flyers and Lavi and the Flyers looked horrendous..

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
One guy I think who has played good the past 2 games is Read. Gotta say, last nigh the got ROBBED of two goals where Lindback made two amazing saves.

I am also disappointing with Giroux. People can blame he has no linemates, but when they are out hustling you something is wrong. I wonder if he is hurt. Looks slow out there and some times disinterested.

Voracek has looked terrible. Get him off that top PP.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
One guy I think who has played good the past 2 games is Read. Gotta say, last nigh the got ROBBED of two goals where Lindback made two amazing saves.

I am also disappointing with Giroux. People can blame he has no linemates, but when they are out hustling you something is wrong. I wonder if he is hurt. Looks slow out there and some times disinterested.

Voracek has looked terrible. Get him off that top PP.

They look like they're grooming Couturier to take over the point on the PP.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I would rather have Foster at the point than Voracek at this point on the PP.

Gervais looked pretty decent to me last game, am I wrong? I didn't get to watch the whole thing. He had a couple good shots.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I would rather have Foster at the point than Voracek at this point on the PP.

Gervais looked pretty decent to me last game, am I wrong? I didn't get to watch the whole thing. He had a couple good shots.

Watching Foster on the point, guy has a hard shot but no aim. I think he missed the net 5-6 times. Thats not bad here and there but I think he hit the net once yesterday. Plus if a defender blocks it, they are going the other way pretty easily. I actually don't think he has looked too good on the PP. I know people here love that hard slapshot on the point, but it has to be somewhere near the net for it to work. Yea bouncing it off the boards works here and there but rather it on net.

Gervias looked solid as a #6 since he played his first game. Hated on him when we got him, but not a bad player so far at all. Not a PP guy, but we don't have too many choices.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I don't think Simmonds should take so much heat for his lack of disipline. Part of his game is to be an agitator and protect and take attention off Giroux. His first period penalty last night was awful timing and he needs to know the refs are just looking to call a penalty on the flyers at that point. But I think Simmonds agitating has done well with energizing the team with last night being the exception.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I don't think Simmonds should take so much heat for his lack of disipline. Part of his game is to be an agitator and protect and take attention off Giroux. His first period penalty last night was awful timing and he needs to know the refs are just looking to call a penalty on the flyers at that point. But I think Simmonds agitating has done well with energizing the team with last night being the exception.

To me, AT THIS POINT, Simmonds is my favorite player on the Flyers this season (he was in my top 4 or 5 last season). He has 2 goals so far, but had several shots on net in past games this season. But you cannot say he isn't out there hustling. He's rustling his butt off.

Admittedly, that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he took last night was dumb, though.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
Yeah they really haven't shown much so far against the teams that befuddled them last year except the Rangers who were off that night even though the Flyers still got the job done and showed some adjustment. We'll see how they do tues. However, the games against NJ and Tampa have been really really bad....

Jury still out on Lavi and his adaptability. I do know last year it was really noticeable how he had no clue how to adjust to defensive teams. I mean I just read an article on Carle from Seravalli and Carle quotes how the room did a double take on Lavi's command to basically not play against Tampa's system last year and sit back and wait. While it was funny at the time... when you really think about it I would say it was not very professional of Lavi. I mean Tampa despite that punk a$$ D system sucked that year and other teams figured out how to beat it but Lavi had no answers except to say "I'm taking my puck and going home." I think that kind of showed some troubling aspects of Lavi's coaching although against Pitt he looked like a genius but only b/c Pitt totally fell into the trap of playing us at our own game. Instead NJ imposed their game on the Flyers and Lavi and the Flyers looked horrendous..

Yeah I've noticed this too. Teams that have strong puck support systems in their own end absolutely abuse the Flyers. Against certain systems like Jersey and Tampa that don't give the Flyers room to maneuver in the offense zone they look completely lost, they can't carry through the blue line, their forwards aren't big enough to win puck battles in dump and chase situations, and the passing becomes forced and sloppy.

The other team can just sit back and wait for the Flyers to try and open the game up then pounce once they make a mistake. That's why so many of these games start with the Flyers seemingly carrying the pace of the game for the first ten minutes or so, then they'll start getting frustrated and the other team pots a goal. From that point the floodgates of frustration open up and there are more sloppy passes, bad penalties, stretch passes to nobody that end up as icing, getting pinned in their own zone chasing the puck carrier, etc. Lavi needs to adjust his system for these teams that are happy to let the Flyers try to dance and dangle their way through the whole team then capitalize on the inevitable turnovers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad