GDT: Game #6 Home Opener hosting Canucks 7pm PT

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Feel like Appleton should be bumped up higher, he showed lots of promise in this game. Had some amazing chances, I swear Hakstol is using him wrong. He was playing on the second line in Winnipeg and always impressed me.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Feel like Appleton should be bumped up higher, he showed lots of promise in this game. Had some amazing chances, I swear Hakstol is using him wrong. He was playing on the second line in Winnipeg and always impressed me.
I agree that Appleton should be bumped up but he had not really played well till the last 2-3 games. His pre-season and first few games of the season were pretty bad and he did not really deserve being in the top-6. I do think that he has earned that now and should be given a chance.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Schwartz was UFA, he picked Dunn over Tarasenko. That one could go either way.

Not picking Domi though..... I've been beating that dead horse into glue :) This team could've used him.

(Note: Domi is out again with a fractured rib, unrelated to the shoulder injury.)
Francis stayed away from over paid problem children. I applaud him for that philosophy. Building a strong core and a proper locker room is an important foundational step.

Reactions: Steamer

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Francis stayed away from over paid problem children. I applaud him for that philosophy. Building a strong core and a proper locker room is an important foundational step.
Overpaid? He's making less than Schwartz.

He did have issues with Julien and Torts, but a lot of other players did too. Seems like old school coaches are on their way out of the league.

Even if the team didn't want him, he's a great trade piece. The team could've easily traded him back to Columbus like they did with Vanecek/Caps. It's about asset management.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
Welcome to the NHL. Good game. Great Arena hate the name love the uniform. As for your team. You have bonfire NHLer's but no true first liners, unless someone steps up this year so your team will struggle to score. Your Defence is Awesome and your goaltending is very good. The problem will be scoring enough. Last night when your Captain blasted away the go ahead goal I thought my Canuck's would lose, but the advantage of scoring came through. I hope for many years of rivalry and respect the way we have with Calgary. A playoff series or two in coming years would be fun. Even if I hate the name I like those jerseys so much I may have to buy one. After a Abbotsford Canucks one first! :laugh: Go Kraken. Except when you play the Canucks then be Humpty Dumpty.:cool:

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Overpaid? He's making less than Schwartz.

He did have issues with Julien and Torts, but a lot of other players did too. Seems like old school coaches are on their way out of the league.

Even if the team didn't want him, he's a great trade piece. The team could've easily traded him back to Columbus like they did with Vanecek/Caps. It's about asset management.
Overpaid for him and what he brings. You can make that old school coach argument maybe, but the fact is he's become unwanted by several teams in a short time span so I'd steer clear. He is not a team guy.

As an aside, Caps looking like they won that Vanacek trade back. He's been good.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Overpaid for him and what he brings. You can make that old school coach argument maybe, but the fact is he's become unwanted by several teams in a short time span so I'd steer clear. He is not a team guy.

As an aside, Caps looking like they won that Vanacek trade back. He's been good.
Pointwise he's easily worth $5M, and CBJ would have easily given up a 2nd rounder to get him back once he was healthy, and in this case it happened before the season even started.

I really don't get the argument that nothing is better than something. LGVK deliberately picked players with the intent to trade them. They made 5 trades after the draft, Francis made 3.

We went into the draft knowing we'd have more players than roster space, why wouldn't you pick players with the intent to trade them?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Pointwise he's easily worth $5M, and CBJ would have easily given up a 2nd rounder to get him back once he was healthy, and in this case it happened before the season even started.

I really don't get the argument that nothing is better than something. LGVK deliberately picked players with the intent to trade them. They made 5 trades after the draft, Francis made 3.

We went into the draft knowing we'd have more players than roster space, why wouldn't you pick players with the intent to trade them?

About Domi:
I'd heard before the expansion draft that Domi was an absolute no go.
I'm not totally sure why but it seems like there a quite a few teams around the league who wouldn't touch him.

Though, we could've gotten Kukan or Stenlund instead and might have been able to trade those.

Trades for expansion picks:
Well that part is something most are irritadtd by and I personally haven't been able to wrap my head around what the heck Francis was doing there.
I mean, he basically just did one of those(the other one was Vanecek after we signed Grubauer), took a couple of guys that just walked instead of other options he could've traded and is still carrying eight defensmen on this team.

But well, we can't do anything about that anymore.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
About Domi:
I'm not totally sure why but it seems like there a quite a few teams around the league who wouldn't touch him.

Though, we could've gotten Kukan or Stenlund instead and might have been able to trade those.

Well that part is something most are irritadtd by and I personally haven't been able to wrap my head around what the heck Francis was doing there.
I mean, he basically just did one of those(the other one was Vanecek after we signed Grubauer), took a couple of guys that just walked instead of other options he could've traded and is still carrying eight defensmen on this team.

Rumors are that Domi has personality issues, had issues with all former coaches. I don't have any inside scoop to confirm any rumors.

Domi definitely would have a limited market, I would have targeted a trade back to CBJ if the Kraken didn't want him. But as you said, nothing we can do now.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
About Domi:

I think there have been some questionable choices for sure to start the franchise off. 1-4-1 is not the best start to the season and not something I expected. The Canucks loss was disappointing because I felt like we really outplayed the Canucks for the majority of the game but still ended up losing. The biggest surprise to me is the how bad the team defense has been. That being said, I do agree with the interviews after the Canucks loss. i.e the team is heading in the right direction. Some stuff still needs to be cleaned up but the team is playing the right away.

It will be very interesting to see where the team is at by the end of Thanksgiving week (game 20+). If the team can bat 0.500 or better over the next 14 games I will take that as a big improvement. If not, I will be curious if GMRF would do anything at all. Its still way too early to ask for a Hakstol firing (unless the team wins like 3-4 games in the first 20), but would GMRF get out of his comfort zone and make a trade to strengthen the team?

I know we are an expansion team and have no expectations of replicating Vegas but GMRF has us in a strange position. We are not built to tank and don't have surplus of draft picks. We are built to be a good defensive team and fight for a playoff spot in the weak Pacific. I am honestly not upset with our performance because the reality is that we are an expansion team. However, it is a little surprising to see us struggle so much defensively.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

You don't think they discussed trades with every franchise? You have to realize this was not the Vegas draft. Teams saw the folly of their ways with that and this time they left high priced talent free for cap space issues. They were not willing to give extra pieces away to hold on to expensive vets.
So you're making a huge unfounded assumption in saying Columbus would have easily given up a 2nd to get Domi back. I do not think so.
Francis had to go a different way and he decided to build a character base to grow out from. It won't be as instant as Vegas was, but in the long run it will be a solid decision. Kraken fans just need to be patient and realize Vegas Redux was never going to happen.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I think there have been some questionable choices for sure to start the franchise off. 1-4-1 is not the best start to the season and not something I expected. The Canucks loss was disappointing because I felt like we really outplayed the Canucks for the majority of the game but still ended up losing. The biggest surprise to me is the how bad the team defense has been. That being said, I do agree with the interviews after the Canucks loss. i.e the team is heading in the right direction. Some stuff still needs to be cleaned up but the team is playing the right away.

It will be very interesting to see where the team is at by the end of Thanksgiving week (game 20+). If the team can bat 0.500 or better over the next 14 games I will take that as a big improvement. If not, I will be curious if GMRF would do anything at all. Its still way too early to ask for a Hakstol firing (unless the team wins like 3-4 games in the first 20), but would GMRF get out of his comfort zone and make a trade to strengthen the team?

I know we are an expansion team and have no expectations of replicating Vegas but GMRF has us in a strange position. We are not built to tank and don't have surplus of draft picks. We are built to be a good defensive team and fight for a playoff spot in the weak Pacific. I am honestly not upset with our performance because the reality is that we are an expansion team. However, it is a little surprising to see us struggle so much defensively.

Trust the system. The CEO Tod Leiweke turned the Seahawks around in the early 2000's along with Paul Allen throwing money at the practice facility etc from a struggling franchise in the 90's to pretty much a perennial play off team since Holmgren and was involved with Tampa Bay Lightning.

I think they are trying to get the foundations right for long term success. May mean a painful year or 2 but I think they are trying to do it right. They obviously see something in Francis. I'm sure if it isn't working out with Hakstol or it doesnt improve after a certain point they would make a call.

They have time to get it right. Come January once NFL season is done they are the only show in town unless UW basketball can get good again until Mariners Spring training and/or Sounders season (and even then not everyone in Seattle cares about UW due to so many incomers). Only concern would be if they are still a mess and the Sonics come back but that's not happening for a bit yet, if ever.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Trust the system. The CEO Tod Leiweke turned the Seahawks around in the early 2000's along with Paul Allen throwing money at the practice facility etc from a struggling franchise in the 90's to pretty much a perennial play off team since Holmgren and was involved with Tampa Bay Lightning.

I think they are trying to get the foundations right for long term success. May mean a painful year or 2 but I think they are trying to do it right. They obviously see something in Francis. I'm sure if it isn't working out with Hakstol or it doesnt improve after a certain point they would make a call.

They have time to get it right. Come January once NFL season is done they are the only show in town unless UW basketball can get good again until Mariners Spring training and/or Sounders season (and even then not everyone in Seattle cares about UW due to so many incomers). Only concern would be if they are still a mess and the Sonics come back but that's not happening for a bit yet, if ever.
Based on the ED and the free agent signings they won’t be a terrible bottom 3 team. Are they good enough to make the playoffs? Only if there are multiple guys who have career seasons. So unlikely.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You don't think they discussed trades with every franchise? You have to realize this was not the Vegas draft. Teams saw the folly of their ways with that and this time they left high priced talent free for cap space issues. They were not willing to give extra pieces away to hold on to expensive vets.
So you're making a huge unfounded assumption in saying Columbus would have easily given up a 2nd to get Domi back. I do not think so.
Francis had to go a different way and he decided to build a character base to grow out from. It won't be as instant as Vegas was, but in the long run it will be a solid decision. Kraken fans just need to be patient and realize Vegas Redux was never going to happen.
Domi was injured at the draft, healed early. They left him unprotected because of the injury, it would have involved risk to take him. That risk is his $5M salary for one year.

The other thing is that players like Domi can be turned around. At some point, a GM will have a heart to heart talk with him and let him know that he's running out of options as far as places to play. We've seen players turn things around and we've also seen them get run out of the league. Obviously Francis doesn't have the confidence in himself to be able to turn a player around. He took a bunch of mild mannered guys, and it shows in the way they play. This team is boring to watch, for the wrong reasons. I can watch defensive hockey, but they're just getting shelled early and giving up.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Domi was injured at the draft, healed early. They left him unprotected because of the injury, it would have involved risk to take him. That risk is his $5M salary for one year.

The other thing is that players like Domi can be turned around. At some point, a GM will have a heart to heart talk with him and let him know that he's running out of options as far as places to play. We've seen players turn things around and we've also seen them get run out of the league. Obviously Francis doesn't have the confidence in himself to be able to turn a player around. He took a bunch of mild mannered guys, and it shows in the way they play. This team is boring to watch, for the wrong reasons. I can watch defensive hockey, but they're just getting shelled early and giving up.

We're clearly not watching the same games. Your depiction of "quit" for this team is pure fiction.

As for Domi, several teams have already tried. Do you not believe in learning from other's mistakes? Taking a chance on a low risk guy like Donato was a smart reclamation move. Domi at $5 million, not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad