GDT: Game 6: Ducks vs. Wild 2/1/13 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Rebuilds. It's amazing that we managed to make it to 4th in the West during that process.
That was the "rebuild on the fly" part of it. And actually if we'd had one decent goaltender that year we could have made it to the 3rd round IMO. If you take a step back it hasn't been that long and we didn't fall that far.

But watching those spastic morons flail around the ice, it certainly felt like a long time.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Couple of interesting stats early in the season: Ducks are second overall in shots allowed (St. Louis is first, by a lot). The Kings are scoring just 1.83 goals per game, whereas Tampa is scoring 5 and quarter goals per game right now.

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
Bobby after the game.

"Teemu & the guys all wanted the ketchup bottle to open...It felt good and meant a lot to the team."

THE KETCHUP BOTTLE IS OPENED!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
BB Interview after the game.

Reporter: You like to tinker with the lines. Tonight you made a move to put Ryan at center. Why did it work?

BB: I don't know. But it sure worked tonight.

HAhahahahhahahahah I was gonna say that I'll eat crow tonight as to ever question our staff for knowing what to tinker upon for our lines. But with what BB stated, I'm simply laughing to myself.

Here's what I got, we have a solid team because with so many changes for the past three to four games we managed to get a point in all but one, the 15 and half minute PK game. We have enough talent to be so interchangeable that the outcomes aren't that different. We're defensively sound as a team, we're improving on the PK and the only thing we have to worry about is how to vastly improve our PP. I know there's more to it, but wow. We had all four lines rolling well tonight.

And what a happy birthday to Palms!

Oct 18, 2011
Well playing center really keeps Ryan engaged in the game, he has the puck more and that seemed to spark his all around game. he was really skating hard all night if he can learn to win faceoffs at a respectable rate, perhaps he has found his best position. Being fast isn't as important at center IMO, having 2 fast wingers certainly helps, Palmieri looked great it's fun having a team with some kids breaking through and contributing

TheFlyingV

Anatidaephobia
Apr 5, 2009
Yorba Linda, CA
I honestly don't remember how long its been since they played that well.

Minus points for Perry attempting to deke through people and Bobby's dive.

And what is it with where I sit that attracts the *******? Had the double whammy of a seat kicker and the roving group of drunk 20-somethings.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I read that Lydman didn't set because of his play, but more to limit his back to back games? Interesting

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I am concerned that Lydman in for allen makes the defense too small, although Allen's boneheaded play with the puck may force BB's hand, plus Lydman plays bigger than he is. Still...

Allen's making more than one bone headed play in this game. It's plays, plural. I'm thinking it's because he's playing so many minutes that he gets tired. When you get tired, then you start making mental mistakes.

I'm not concerned of Lydman as he's play very solid and very physical. As to why Sbisa got limited minutes (along with Vatanen)... maybe they're being sheltered. Playing 13 minutes tonight from 20 minutes in the previous game makes a huge difference in Allen's game as we noticed tonight. Allen nearly gave a gift of a turnover in the defensive end. Thank goodness Fasth stayed alert. At least with Lydman, I'm confident he can handle playing 20 + minutes.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I meant play in the plural sense, as in, his play with the puck has been poor. Less minutes might not be a bad thing, but then his partner may need to rotate.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think Sbisa's limited minutes were just a product of his D partner. Boudreau probably didn't want to rotate him throughout the other pairings, and there was just no way he wasn't going to try his hardest to shelter Vatanen defensively in his first game. Unfortunately, that meant Sbisa got shafted a bit in terms of TOI.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
guys. just realized... we have 6 games in 9 nights.. holy smokesss.. this win looks really important cause this is a huge stretch coming up.. especially considering 3 of the games are aginst division rivals

tomorrow is the kings (2nd of a back to back)
sharks monday (3rd game in 4 nights)

stars (we might be sorta rested for this. 5th game in 8 nights)

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I think Sbisa's limited minutes were just a product of his D partner. Boudreau probably didn't want to rotate him throughout the other pairings, and there was just no way he wasn't going to try his hardest to shelter Vatanen defensively in his first game. Unfortunately, that meant Sbisa got shafted a bit in terms of TOI.

Agreed. I expect, Lydman and Sbisa to play around 20 minutes tomorrow.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Only Perry and Allen disappointed tonight. Everyone else showed up pretty big and gave a strong effort. Criticize Boudreau all you want as a coach, the team is hungry for wins under him.

Nice to see Palmieri awarded

Etem is playing to stay

Smith Pelly is not getting the message and most people know I was one of his biggest homers last year

Fowler just continues to amaze me

Perry needs to step it up. Whether he wants out or not, if he wants a good contract he
isn't going to get it like this.

Teemu...legendary

Ryan...MUCH better than expected

Getzlaf, a little bit more average than I've gotten used to lately

Fasth, awesome outside the first goal against. Never thought it would happen but if he keeps playing like this he may force Hiller out of a starting job.

Beleskey, not bad, but he's not a first liner. Just like Bonino isn't 2c, Matty B isn't a 1LW. I like that he adds physicality to that line, but he isn't creating, and when the puck bounces to him, he can't convert.

3rd line looked a bit more human tonight, but I'm still digging Cogliano compared to last year, he's actually been physical. Koivu looks more at home playing on that line. Winnik has been nothing short of a revelation. I was one of the few that actually thought he might be a serviceable depth guy while others thought it was dumpster diving, but I think it's safe to say he's blown all of us away.

Beauchemin: Quietly had a very solid game. So did Souray

Allen: Bad

Sbisa: Safe and smart defensive play. I liked it tonight.

Vatanen: Better than I expected just like Etem. If this is the norm for him (which I'm skeptical to believe to be so) then he may force Allen or Lydman out. But I've watched enough Admirals games to be a bit...well...skeptical

Bonino: More at home not being burdened with creating opportunities for Teemu and Bobby.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
I honestly don't remember how long its been since they played that well.

Minus points for Perry attempting to deke through people and Bobby's dive.

And what is it with where I sit that attracts the *******? Had the double whammy of a seat kicker and the roving group of drunk 20-somethings.

I freaking hate the seat kickers. Have no problem with confronting them when they do. :laugh:

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Just got back from the game. My thoughts:

Sami Vatanen. I am a Vatanist. He hustles, he has a great shot, excellent passing, great vision, wonderful speed, solid physical play (despite his size) and leadership qualities. My one concern, that I feel is a very, very large one is him pinching. He pinched up numerous times VERY far and sometimes without another d-man staying back. He was very fortunate the one time he got beat he had Perry covering. In the end, judging from ONE game, he is NHL ready.

Winnik, Koivu, Cogliano still rule despite not being that offensivley productive tonight.

Winnik rules.

Getzlaf looks wonderful. Perry seems to not care and seems lazy. Beleskey earned another game with that line.

Bobby proved me wrong. Did well on faceoffs, I think, and proved to be sparked by his new role.

Selanne is actually 21.

Palmieri found a new home.

Etem is amazing. He carried our 4th line all night. Bonino looked very good as well. Smith-Pelley... nothing. He contributed nothing.

Fasth, excellent minus the one softie (taking after Hiller maybe? ;) )

Allen/Souray - Wake up. Both are not earning their money and are TERRIBLE in our own end.

Beauchemin - Excellent, as always.

Fowler - Trying to do far too much, but it's ok.

Sbisa - Vatanen's craziness seemed to actually forced Sbisa into a more responsible role, he played well.

That's all I got.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I will admit that it's a little tough to judge some of the guys that played in the AHL based on their performance during the lockout. That team was just putrid, and that could be part of the reason why Vatanen and Etem maybe struggled a little as rookies? Maybe being on a better team in the NHL will help them? IDK..

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I sure hope so. If your theory is right...then........Lindholm will probably be a total stud upon his arrival. He was Norfolk's best player behind Holland and easily above Vatanen and Etem who have impressed here in their debuts.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I read that Lydman didn't set because of his play, but more to limit his back to back games? Interesting

Hazy mentioned it was a "maintenance" day for Lydman.

Yup. It sounds good. Sounds like the NBA's Popovich sitting some of his older veterans for a few games. But you have to cringe when you see Sbisa and Vatanen playing only 13 minutes tonight because you realize that's 14 extra minutes that the top four have to distribute. Of the top four d-men in tonight's game, I have only confidence in Fowler to be able handle the extra minutes because he's in crazy shape. Fortunately, all four lines spent a lot of time on the offensive side with the third line (Cone head line for me) making the Wild's top line inept. Only four SOG's between Heatley-Koivu-Parise! Wow!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Curious, I know Perry barely missed a shift because of a shoulder to his head, but could that hit be more serious than it seems? I saw the replay of it several times and it looked like a lot of hurt to the noggin'. We've seen Perry always come back up often in previous seasons, but how much damage can Gumby take? I hope for the best for Perry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad