GDT: Game 6: Boston Bruins @ Florida Panthers - 10/17/13 - 730P ET - NESN(HD), 98.5FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
6 games in, team is 4-2, haven`t played their best but have found a way to win.

I`ll never understand the panic and over reaction around here, shifting everyone up and down the lineup because we haven`t seen the results from various players/lines we expected/demand. Thank goodness we don`t call the shots

Man, this place kills me, ever heard of patience??

Show me a team outside of the Avs/Sharks who have played crisp hockey that looks mid-season-like??

Watched the Pens the other night, looked lost and confused yet won..

I think the team is playing good hockey. Outside of a few defensive breakdowns this team has done quite well at getting pucks on net. If they keep it up it is just a matter of time before they blow a team out 5-1.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think the team is playing good hockey. Outside of a few defensive breakdowns this team has done quite well at getting pucks on net. If they keep it up it is just a matter of time before they blow a team out 5-1.

Could happen, I don`t think they`ve played badly, I think they have played sloppy in spurts and call me crazy....pretty much how things are everywhere around the league at the beginning of the year.

There isn`t one glaring issue with this team right now. Still have Soderberg to make his regular season debut too, and a 7th D man, whomever that is from game to game not named Johnson/Redden/Hnidy etc...this team is fine

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
Good win, two points. If the Bruins can start playing every period like the first they'll be in great shape.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good win, two points. If the Bruins can start playing every period like the first they'll be in great shape.

Yep, the only real areas that I want to see a more consistent effort is net presence. Every team has defensive breakdowns in the course of a game, we are spoiled here as this team doesn`t have them a dozen times a game so when they do occur, we jump on the boys.

I`ve been tough on Krejci, and both he and Looch on that first Panther goal were weak, but some here posting ridiculous things bordering on rage with his mistake or lack of effort. He`s been pretty solid defensively in this short season so far, one mistake doesn`t have me pounding the keys to hammer the guy

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
It's one thing to express frustration with the sky is falling types.

It's entirely another to ignore the fact that this team does not look good at all thus far. At ALL.

There are bright spots - Tuukka, in spite of the mishap last night, has been what you expect him to be. Smith, I suppose, though I am not as bullish on him as some, has been decent.

Dougie has played with more confidence.

Aside from that, as a team, this is a weak product we're witnessing. Clearly Seguin's departure has really had an effect on Brad.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

It's entirely another to ignore the fact that this team does not look good at all thus far. At ALL.

There are bright spots - Tuukka, in spite of the mishap last night, has been what you expect him to be. Smith, I suppose, though I am not as bullish on him as some, has been decent.

Aside from that, as a team, this is a weak product we're witnessing. Clearly Seguin's departure has really had an effect on Brad.

If that's what the problem is then that's a terrible excuse.

Whatever the deal is, he looks terrible, lazy, and disinterested. It's almost like they swapped the name plates from the Marchand and Smith jerseys.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The team looked as good offensively as I can ask for in the first, but definitely didn't bring it after that until the end of the game. Also way too many defensive lapses throughout the entire game.

The Bergeron line looked great, and Eriksson continues to impress me ever since he scored his first goal. He was all over the puck tonight. Smith was really the only reason that line wasn't scoring as he missed on so many opportunities, so it's nice to see him finally cash in at the end. The Bergeron-Eriksson PP unit looked awful though.

4th line was also tremendous last night. I don't know any other 4th line that can repeatedly pin other teams in their own zone like that, but ours has definitely proven that they can.

Krejci line looked OK, but sort of just seemed to be going through the motions. They were a bit hit and miss on the PP as well.

3rd line was straight up bad. Every time Florida seemed to have any sustained pressure, it was the third line that was trapped out on the ice. They've looked good in other games, but definitely didn't click as a unit yesterday.

Hamilton was fantastic, goal aside, and was the standout on the blueline last night. He definitely deserves a spot in the lineup.

Chara/Boychuk/Seids were OK, a few defensive lapses here and there though.

Krug was fine as well; he seems to do something really creative every single game that creates a scoring opportunity.

Once again, I thought Bart struggled. He looks completely different in the regular season than the preseason to me. I think he's third on the pecking order in that group of young d-men now for sure.

Rask with yet another solid game, although he looked a little bit shaky at the start.

Timmy really ramped up his play in the third. I was surprised they were able to get another one by him.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
My thoughts on last night's game: Krejci looked terrible. Just really, really bad. Iginla needs to be taken off that line and moved down to play with Bergeron. Seidenberg looked off too. Every time he was on the ice, it seemed like he was out of position. Smith continued to impress me. Really does a lot of the little things right, which is what you want from your bottom 6. The tying goal Rask let in was just awful. I get that it was a defensive breakdown, but Rask was targeted high glove yet again, and he didn't even come close to making a save. Paille was solid, but Thornton is a liability on the ice at this point.

It will be very interesting to see how the lines look when Sodaberg is ready to play. With the lack of chemistry between Bergeron and Loui (and I've been very unimpressed with what I've seen from Loui so far), I think I'd probably bump Marchand back up, and put Yeti and Loui together if CJ is going to leave the first line intact.

Sure, Rask is targeted high glove, yet his gaa is 1.51 Sv % is 947, people have to get off this guys back. We all know TT was great but Rask is an unbelieveable goaltender and is not the issue with the Bruins. We are six games into the season, way to early to panic, Iggy will soon be scoring on a regular basis, he is just a slow starter, always has been, he has been getting chances and playing well aside for scoring. No problem, that I could see with Krejci's game last night, nothing different than he usually does, he consistanly tries to slow the game down and that makes him appear lazy, he is anything but, did have a lazy/selfish penalty last night though. Way to early to talk lack of chemistry, again, six games in, record is 4-2, both losses to VG teams. D pairings are being changed every game, difficult for the players to adjust, but they will once things settle down. I suspect when Sodenberg is back he goes with Kelly and Marshy, Smith is staying where he is until his game falters.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
My thoughts on last night's game: Krejci looked terrible. Just really, really bad. Iginla needs to be taken off that line and moved down to play with Bergeron. Seidenberg looked off too. Every time he was on the ice, it seemed like he was out of position. Smith continued to impress me. Really does a lot of the little things right, which is what you want from your bottom 6. The tying goal Rask let in was just awful. I get that it was a defensive breakdown, but Rask was targeted high glove yet again, and he didn't even come close to making a save. Paille was solid, but Thornton is a liability on the ice at this point.

It will be very interesting to see how the lines look when Sodaberg is ready to play. With the lack of chemistry between Bergeron and Loui (and I've been very unimpressed with what I've seen from Loui so far), I think I'd probably bump Marchand back up, and put Yeti and Loui together if CJ is going to leave the first line intact.

Krejci always seems to have fits and starts early in the season. I think it's a good sign that even though he's not totally on top of his game that he's nearly at a point per game anyway. This might be the season he finally hits 80 points if he stays healthy.

As for Bergy and Loui, were you watching a different game? They were the only guys in the top 9 who showed any chemistry. They made several blind passes to each other on the cycle that connected. Aside from Merlot those 2 are honestly the least of my worries on this team right now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Krejci always seems to have fits and starts early in the season. I think it's a good sign that even though he's not totally on top of his game that he's nearly at a point per game anyway. This might be the season he finally hits 80 points if he stays healthy.

As for Bergy and Loui, were you watching a different game? They were the only guys in the top 9 who showed any chemistry. They made several blind passes to each other on the cycle that connected. Aside from Merlot those 2 are honestly the least of my worries on this team right now.

With you there, I see absolutely nothing other than Bergy and Loui`s chemistry developing nicely

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
-Thought Krug was our best defender last night, don't see him sitting much this year if he does at all

-Chara still needs to find his game, seemed like he was chasing too much, not bad but not his steady self

- First game I felt Bart did some nice plays too, leaning to Bart over Quaider or have those 2 flip with eachother

- Hamilton brings too much to the PP to sit... fast shot, crisp passes, great positioning. He had a very good game and deserves to be played

- Marchand doesn't look good... making simple/stupid mistakes (saw bruins defenders ring puck around net along boards to where Marshy should be, he either missed puck or was off the boards and opposing defender stepped in from blueline and took puck... just sloppy play and stuff you learn in novice)

- Liking Iggy, even if he isn't producing you can see he is trying and getting to where he should be... things will come

- Loui E... see Iggy post... he is working and starting to fit... but the guys need to start clicking

- Hopefully the 3 kids stay up next game, defense looked so mobile and great in transition

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

More or less correct except for bolded. Folks, you have to accept the fact that this is not grade school and professional athletes don't let the trade of a linemate affect them the way you might have felt when your girl- or boyfriend dumped you or your BFF left you. If you think this is what is actually wrong with Marchand, you are in serious need of a reality check of some sort.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
-Thought Krug was our best defender last night, don't see him sitting much this year if he does at all

-Chara still needs to find his game, seemed like he was chasing too much, not bad but not his steady self

- First game I felt Bart did some nice plays too, leaning to Bart over Quaider or have those 2 flip with eachother

- Hamilton brings too much to the PP to sit... fast shot, crisp passes, great positioning. He had a very good game and deserves to be played

- Marchand doesn't look good... making simple/stupid mistakes (saw bruins defenders ring puck around net along boards to where Marshy should be, he either missed puck or was off the boards and opposing defender stepped in from blueline and took puck... just sloppy play and stuff you learn in novice)

- Liking Iggy, even if he isn't producing you can see he is trying and getting to where he should be... things will come

- Loui E... see Iggy post... he is working and starting to fit... but the guys need to start clicking

- Hopefully the 3 kids stay up next game, defense looked so mobile and great in transition

re: Hamilton on the PP

His ability to get pucks through is something you just can`t teach IMO too

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Just put my name on this post and pretend it was me. Exactly how I felt about the game as well.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Yep, the only real areas that I want to see a more consistent effort is net presence. Every team has defensive breakdowns in the course of a game, we are spoiled here as this team doesn`t have them a dozen times a game so when they do occur, we jump on the boys.

I`ve been tough on Krejci, and both he and Looch on that first Panther goal were weak, but some here posting ridiculous things bordering on rage with his mistake or lack of effort. He`s been pretty solid defensively in this short season so far, one mistake doesn`t have me pounding the keys to hammer the guy

I so agree on the net presence. I even commented in the GDT about a really juicy rebound and not a single Bruin within sight to put it home. That wasn't the only time either.

And I don't complain much about Krejci-I think he gets beat on more then he deserves in comments. However Indont think he or Looch had a very good game last night. I think the 4th line was the best line and that really isn't a good thing. Krejci just seemed off and Looch wasn't moving his feet. I think Iginla had a good game everywhere but in getting a goal-he came close a couple of times and Thomas made a real good save. Iginla is going to start scoring at some point.

I like Eriksson-I haven't understood those who criticize him-he is getting it and doing well. He isn't going to be Seguin though-it's not his game.

Last edited:

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Sure, Rask is targeted high glove, yet his gaa is 1.51 Sv % is 947, people have to get off this guys back. We all know TT was great but Rask is an unbelieveable goaltender and is not the issue with the Bruins. We are six games into the season, way to early to panic, Iggy will soon be scoring on a regular basis, he is just a slow starter, always has been, he has been getting chances and playing well aside for scoring. No problem, that I could see with Krejci's game last night, nothing different than he usually does, he consistanly tries to slow the game down and that makes him appear lazy, he is anything but, did have a lazy/selfish penalty last night though. Way to early to talk lack of chemistry, again, six games in, record is 4-2, both losses to VG teams. D pairings are being changed every game, difficult for the players to adjust, but they will once things settle down. I suspect when Sodenberg is back he goes with Kelly and Marshy, Smith is staying where he is until his game falters.

Rask is the main thing that I don't understand why people are being nit picky about. Sure, the second goal last night was a bit flukey on his part, but everything else he has done is what you would expect from a 7 million dollar goalie. So far, he has been playing a lot better than Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist, etc. Unless he gets himself into an ugly streak, I think he should be the least of our worries.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I think Iginla had a good game everywhere but in getting a goal-he came close a couple of times and Thomas made a real good save. Iginla is going to start scoring at some point.

Doing his best to slot in as Nate Horton's replacement on the roster. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I agree that he will begin to produce soon. I still think some of this is getting used to playing within the team's system. And I don't think that happens very quickly.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I was speaking about their collective effort so far, not just last night. So far this year, they've been underwhelming.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Good summary. One thing that is good about this year's Bruins is that there is depth waiting to play in the press box. I thought Iginla was better last night and Eriksson should be fine. These guys don't just go bad overnight. These are veteran NHLers with good track records.

This is why I expect more from both of them. They have track records to base the expectations off of and neither is living up to what they're normally capable.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Just put my name on this post and pretend it was me. Exactly how I felt about the game as well.

done chuck

all credit for the above goes out to Uncle Howie

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I was speaking about their collective effort so far, not just last night. So far this year, they've been underwhelming.

but chemistry takes time to establish so by its nature you kind of have to look at the most recent game or two, and right now they are showing some decent chemistry so it makes no sense to break them up based on a lack of chemistry from 2 weeks ago.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
but chemistry takes time to establish so by its nature you kind of have to look at the most recent game or two, and right now they are showing some decent chemistry so it makes no sense to break them up based on a lack of chemistry from 2 weeks ago.

Sure, but I think the second line is too much of the same thing. It was even worse when Marchand was on it. All 3 guys were the same type of player, and I would rather have a variety of styles that compliment each other. I think the same is true with the first line right now as well. Lucic and Iginla are too similar and I think DK would benefit from having a player with a different skill set on the right than Iginla. I'd like to see Iggy flipped with Loui since that would solve both lines issues, IMO.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Did anyone else notice that the hypothetical icing scenario with an odd bounce going in the net, which Brick dismissed rather quickly, actually happened in the Toronto game?

Now I know the linesman waived icing just before the puck went in, but that was pretty much what Jack was asking, no?

i did. that was amazing that it happened the same nite.

i flipped to the leafs game when that goal went in, and I was like, "holy crap, jack was just babbling about that."
that goal would count if it went in before the player reaches the dot on an icing i believe.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Sure, but I think the second line is too much of the same thing. It was even worse when Marchand was on it. All 3 guys were the same type of player, and I would rather have a variety of styles that compliment each other. I think the same is true with the first line right now as well. Lucic and Iginla are too similar and I think DK would benefit from having a player with a different skill set on the right than Iginla. I'd like to see Iggy flipped with Loui since that would solve both lines issues, IMO.

I think the Krejci line will be fine. Looch and Krejci have always been streaky and we have been warned dozens of times by Flames fans that Iggy is a slow starter.

I agree that the Bergeron line with Marchand and Loui looked off b/c all 3 guys need to touch the puck more to be effective but I'd also be curious to see how they look when Marchand isn't slumping. Bergeron and Loui are one of the only pairs of players on this team starting to click together so I'm in the camp that wants to see Yeti on their wing for a while. I think his style would really complement Bergy and Loui.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad