GDT: Game 6- Blues @ Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Hopefully we can follow up the way we played tonight with a repeat performance tomorrow!

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
The pacific division is weird. The Kraken/Oilers/Flames suck bad right now

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Maybe Berube knew what he was doing benching Vrana. That was by far our best game this year. We actually maintained offensive zone possession and generated multiple chances on a single zone entry. Not sure what changed, but if we keep this up we will win some games and ruin our draft pick while still getting our ass kicked in the first round of the playoffs. Yay team :rolleyes:
The Blues played a lot better tonight than over the last couple games. Starting Bortuzzo and going with 7 D-men was the right move. They played with energy and spirit (other than Hayes, skating at half speed. He's too old and slow to play full-out all season long, and so, is on cruise control until the playoff stretch. Probably a wasted signing. We'll find out if he comes out to play full-bore later in the season when the chips are down.

Vrana was benched for unspirited play. I hope he's not having concentration problems because his personal problems have returned. Maybe he'll try harder after seeing how his usual fellow partner-in-crime (slacker) Kapanen, worked hard in all 3 zones tonight, and scored and helped his team win. It's a shame. Vrana has the skills to be a difference-making regular 30+ goal scorer. I hope he'll work hard to save his NHL career, and The Blues reap the benefit of it. But I'm not going to hold my breath until it happens. Holding my breath at my age is tough enough to do without extra work. :sarcasm:

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Wow that was a hell of a game by the boys tonight, I didn’t know they had this in ‘em. I have a few thoughts…

Hofer was awesome love how well he can handle the puck and pass, he just feels like the real deal to me.

I’m really starting to like Kapps with Schenn they seem to work well and having Boochy there makes it a great line.

I thought Bortz was awesome and kind of forgot how much he can add to the lineup, just dont play him too much to keep him freash.
I love how feisty Krug was lol. I feel like his game has been steadily getting better. I’ve always been a fan of Perunovich and thought he was solid and its a nice start for him.

Saad hitting Kadri and him having a temper tantrum on the bench was the cherry on top for this game lol.

Last edited:

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Kadri getting smoked was nice to see but overall a great team game. I liked the lineup changes.

We shall see if they can continue this but it was encouraging. I never felt like they were in jeopardy of losing that game after they scored first.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
leprechaun-st-pattys-day.gif

Live look at Krug
Your killin’ it in this GDT dude:laugh:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
reflecting back on game tonight, flames are in rough place right now. but we were too until we played them. and we smothered them. if we can play like tonight all season, we have real shot at making playoffs (not to be confused with real shot at doing anything if we get in). but regardless of whether we make playoffs, this is the team i want to watch all season. this looked like blues hockey. we played strong d, physical, battled, really controlled play. we do that consistently and i will be pleased, whether we have 75 points or 105.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
reflecting back on game tonight, flames are in rough place right now. but we were too until we played them. and we smothered them. if we can play like tonight all season, we have real shot at making playoffs (not to be confused with real shot at doing anything if we get in). but regardless of whether we make playoffs, this is the team i want to watch all season. this looked like blues hockey. we played strong d, physical, battled, really controlled play. we do that consistently and i will be pleased, whether we have 75 points or 105.
Problem is, we don’t do that consistently so I’m not holding my breath that it’s going to start happening.

I agree though, that’s what I’ve been complaining about. I just want to watch an entertaining team, that’s all I ask for.

We’ll see how they look against Vancouver.

Reactions: mk80 and Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Problem is, we don’t do that consistently so I’m not holding my breath that it’s going to start happening.

I agree though, that’s what I’ve been complaining about. I just want to watch an entertaining team, that’s all I ask for.

We’ll see how they look against Vancouver.
yes, that is rub.,. i'm convinced that the biggest difference between the 10th best team and 10th worst team is consistency of effort.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Wow that was a hell of a game by the boys tonight, I didn’t know they had this in ‘em. I have a few thoughts…

Hofer was awesome love how well he can handle the puck and pass, he just feels like the real deal to me.

I’m really starting to like Kapps with Schenn they seem to work well and having Boochy there makes it a great line.

I thought Bortz was awesome and kind of forgot how much he can add to the lineup, just dont play him too much to keep him freash.
I love how feisty Krug was lol. I feel like his game has been steadily getting better. I’ve always been a fan of Perunovich and thought he was solid and its a nice start for him.

Saad hitting Kadri and him having a temper tantrum on the bench was the cherry on top for this game lol.
any video of kadri event?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Kyrou really needs better creativity on the breakaway. But, with the current number of shots he's putting on net the goals will start picking up.

I still want to see him more focused on his 2-way game and backcheck more early in the season tho.
I'm with you 100% on this one. And Vrana, Kapanen, and Hayes should attend those same classes (coached drills) too.

Reactions: Brian39

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
That was a good defensive game by us. Looks like Kyrou spent all his time in the offseason on defense he forgot how to score on breakaways. However I have been impressed by the defense Kyrou has shown
As far as I remember, Kyrou has ALWAYS been weak on scoring on breakaways. He just gets so very many of them because of his speed, that he actually scores on a few. He gets so many that if he'd just have an average scoring rate on them (for 20+ goal scorers), he'd score 45 goals a season, instead of 30.

Meantime, i happy that his defensive play is slowly improving. At least he's trying to improve it now. That's a start. I just wish he'd started that with a decent effort, while in juniors.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Good points. The Blues needed a heavy statement game after the crappy effort against the Jets. I thought Schenn, Sunny, Torpo, Neighbours and Blais did a great job on the physical side of things. It's easy to discount Sunny, but he has a way of making an impact at times that makes him hard to take out of the lineup. He was probably our best forward overall last night. Scandella had an awesome game, but I'd say all of our D played pretty well overall.

Kind of funny to read the hot takes on the first page of this thread in retrospect. Going with 7 D was a smart move in order to get both Bortz and Peru in there. Bortz reminded everyone what kind of an impact he can have. Benching Vrana made sense after the last game, he looked totally out of sync. It was nice to see the physical, smothering Blues back again even if it says more about how bad the Flames are. Markstrom was solid and we blew a bunch of scoring chances... Could have been 5 or 6 to 0 instead of 3.

Reactions: Blueston

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
That was probably the most complete game I've seen from the Blues in awhile. The bottom 6 actually cycled the puck and generated something, getting in hard on the forecheck and forcing the other team to eat some pucks. We didn't consistently turn it over in the neutral zone. The PK was solid. Goaltending was solid. Good to see Bortz and Faulk play with a physical edge. Only real weak point was our PP, which still looks abysmal.

I don't think benching Vrana had that much to do with this turn-around to be honest, I think it's more that we're playing a putrid Calgary team, but I think the team needed a game like this now to understand that if we play the right way, we can have success as a team.

I'm excited to see if we can build on it in Vancouver.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Good points. The Blues needed a heavy statement game after the crappy effort against the Jets. I thought Schenn, Sunny, Torpo, Neighbours and Blais did a great job on the physical side of things. It's easy to discount Sunny, but he has a way of making an impact at times that makes him hard to take out of the lineup. He was probably our best forward overall last night. Scandella had an awesome game, but I'd say all of our D played pretty well overall.

Kind of funny to read the hot takes on the first page of this thread in retrospect. Going with 7 D was a smart move in order to get both Bortz and Peru in there. Bortz reminded everyone what kind of an impact he can have. Benching Vrana made sense after the last game, he looked totally out of sync. It was nice to see the physical, smothering Blues back again even if it says more about how bad the Flames are. Markstrom was solid and we blew a bunch of scoring chances... Could have been 5 or 6 to 0 instead of 3.

How did Perunovich justify his presence in any way? I mean, I guess you can make a butterfly effect argument that changing any one thing could have changed how others played. But Perunovich was god awful, and we are lucky Hofer was on and we didn't get scored upon when he was out there being an active liability. He did nothing that made me say, oh, I'm glad we played this guy.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
It was nice seeing the guys show some passion when Calgary started to get pissy. I liked seeing the physical play.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Good complete game by the team last night.

Bortz showed exactly why teams love to have a guy like that on the 23 man roster. His PK shift in the 1st period was fantastic. Good positioning without selling out too much on the net front and the team scores a shorty. Then at the very end of the PK he went out and found a reason for a scrap. That easily could have been a simple couple pushes and jawing in the corner but Bortz went 0-to-100 with no hesitation. The team wasn't lifeless before that, but he pulled the team up a notch. I still don't like the decision to scratch Vrana over a couple other forward candidates, but I think getting Bortz into the lineup was critical for this game. I think plugging him to provide a spark was more important than making an example of a forward.

We have traditionally done well going 11-7 under Berube. I'm curious to see if we will stick to it in the 2nd night of a B2B. I'm not sure Perunovich did enough to stay in the lineup with everyone healthy, even though I think his game was better than his underlying numbers reflect. Very hard to gain much insight from 6:20 of 5 on 5 ice time, especially when his 3 most frequent forwards were Hayes, Torpo and Neighbours.

Reactions: mk80
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad