GDT: Game 6: Arizona Coyotes @ New Jersey Devils ~ 10/20/15 16:00 UTC-7:00

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tippett mentioned execution at least 6 times in this interview. We're ****ed now. Back on the tank bandwagon, I go.

What is he suppose to say?

But it is exactly that. So much lost possession. So many ineffective entries through the neutral zone and not getting pucks to the net. We get another 5 shots getting closer to the net, and we probably pick up another 2 scoring chances. Maybe a goal. That's executing...

Exactly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, as suggested earlier in this thread (and board in general) once we hit a rough spot we "locked down" into the "system" and got worse.
I won't complain about the ice time distribution today, though.

Chip,Downy and Gordon didn't get much ice time, and they didn't deserve more. Vermette didn't deserve what he got, but I think DT is trying to get him going.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Congratulations, you win a seat upgrade. I think. That in-game promo went away a couple years ago, right? Some optometrist was sponsoring it.

Every time the Hockey Operations department makes me happy, someone else in the franchise ***** the bed.

Speaking of which, did the Smoke's Poutine stand ever show up? I asked LeBlanc about that at the rookie camp town hall and there was talk of Smokes Poutine.

Yes, they have one downstairs now.

And it's crappy. Had the traditional one, bland as hell.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Duclair had 7 points (1-6) through 18 games last year. He's now matched that total (5-2) through 7 games this year.

His 2 way play is why he was sent down. His 2 way play is getting better and was better last night.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We have this tendency to be flat-footed. That is something that needs to change.

For anyone who recorded the game, go back and look at the zone entries on the PP. Some of the passes are out of reach, but by an ever-so-slim margin. Players simply don't anticipate and are flat-footed as a result. Same thing happens on defense. We break up the offensive play, the puck skitters toward an open area where our player is close to, and that player waits on the puck to get to them. Sometimes that is okay if there is enough speed on the puck to shield the opposition from getting to it, but a lot of times, a single stride or two steps towards the puck actually reduces the chances of giving it right back.

The kids have stepped up with timely results. It is time for the veterans to be smart so that those timely goals don't come when we are already down 3 goals. Don't waste the good things that we are doing with apathy from veterans who should know better.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Still a 50 point pace.

But remember - everybody said that if you surround Yandle with certain talent, he should be breaking the 70 point barrier (or at least 60 points). Still time for him to do it this year, but I really think that people misunderstand that for as many good offensive situations as he might be prone to putting people into, he also has a fair amount of bad decisions on offense that keep him from being "elite."

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have this tendency to be flat-footed. That is something that needs to change.

For anyone who recorded the game, go back and look at the zone entries on the PP. Some of the passes are out of reach, but by an ever-so-slim margin. Players simply don't anticipate and are flat-footed as a result. Same thing happens on defense. We break up the offensive play, the puck skitters toward an open area where our player is close to, and that player waits on the puck to get to them. Sometimes that is okay if there is enough speed on the puck to shield the opposition from getting to it, but a lot of times, a single stride or two steps towards the puck actually reduces the chances of giving it right back.

The kids have stepped up with timely results. It is time for the veterans to be smart so that those timely goals don't come when we are already down 3 goals. Don't waste the good things that we are doing with apathy from veterans who should know better.

That is what DT has been saying. Bad passing = no speed = no flow.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know its not good, but he is a rookie, just saying it is starting to get better.

Not really. His TOI 5 on 5 is on par with Chip, which is not good. Watch him when it is 5 on 5, he follows the puck around and forgets where his positioning. He is getting a far amount of ice time because of the PP.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
But remember - everybody said that if you surround Yandle with certain talent, he should be breaking the 70 point barrier (or at least 60 points). Still time for him to do it this year, but I really think that people misunderstand that for as many good offensive situations as he might be prone to putting people into, he also has a fair amount of bad decisions on offense that keep him from being "elite."

I think he will break 60 points this year on that team and I also think he is elite. The Coyotes miss him on the PP obviously, but not so obvious is his ability to make that first quick pass when retrieving the puck in his own zone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think he will break 60 points this year on that team and I also think he is elite. The Coyotes miss him on the PP obviously, but not so obvious is his ability to make that first quick pass when retrieving the puck in his own zone.

I don't think I would call Yandle elite, that is left for about ten of the best Dman in the league. What keeps Yandle from being elite are his defensive brain farts.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Not really. His TOI 5 on 5 is on par with Chip, which is not good. Watch him when it is 5 on 5, he follows the puck around and forgets where his positioning. He is getting a far amount of ice time because of the PP.

I watched the game last night and part of the replay later. I think Duclair is getting better away from the puck. This is the area he needs to improve for his minutes to go way up, not his strong suit, and is why he did not stick in NYC last year. Chip got 6 minutes of 5 on 5 time last night, Duclair 11 minutes, so he is getting more than Chip. Duclair had 5 PP minutes. Tip is putting Duclair in a position to help the team while not hurting our chances by expecting too much from him on D. It is a process...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

This almost sounds like we are headed to avatar bet territory here. Only problem is neither of us have an avatar.

Yandle at 60 points on the year. You take the over and I take the under? I guess true Vegas-style would be 59.5 on the O/U, since you would win if he gets 60. Injury of 8+ games missed nullifies the bet...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think everyone is waiting with nervous anticipation for Domi and Duclair to develop their two way game enough that they become a regular pairing 5 on 5. This is the goal this season on their development. Helps set up next year when they get to break in the next two.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This almost sounds like we are headed to avatar bet territory here. Only problem is neither of us have an avatar.

Yandle at 60 points on the year. You take the over and I take the under? I guess true Vegas-style would be 59.5 on the O/U, since you would win if he gets 60. Injury of 8+ games missed nullifies the bet...

Your on for a drink! At 60 points we tie. 8+ missed games cancels the bet. I hope he gets less than 60 points, 45-50 actually, that way it will cost us less to sign him as a UFA :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I watched the game last night and part of the replay later. I think Duclair is getting better away from the puck. This is the area he needs to improve for his minutes to go way up, not his strong suit, and is why he did not stick in NYC last year. Chip got 6 minutes of 5 on 5 time last night, Duclair 11 minutes, so he is getting more than Chip. Duclair had 5 PP minutes. Tip is putting Duclair in a position to help the team while not hurting our chances by expecting too much from him on D. It is a process...

That was last nights game because Chip's minutes were down because of dumb penalties. If Duclair listens he will get better, and your right, it is a process.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think everyone is waiting with nervous anticipation for Domi and Duclair to develop their two way game enough that they become a regular pairing 5 on 5. This is the goal this season on their development. Helps set up next year when they get to break in the next two.

I agree. I think next year we will be breaking in more than two.:)

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Your on for a drink! At 60 points we tie. 8+ missed games cancels the bet. I hope he gets less than 60 points, 45-50 actually, that way it will cost us less to sign him as a UFA :)

Touche.

Or better, the hope will be that Yandle gets to 60, so by tying, we each buy each other a beer. This will also occur in the last game of the season, where the Coyotes clinch a playoff berth. Tie-tie, win-win???

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I really despise Tippett's insistence that every forward be a two-way forward. The whole damn forward corps with the exception of Domi and Duclair are two-way guys. Guess who has done almost all of the offensive production? :help:

When you start saddling offensively-gifted players with defensive responsibilities, you know what you get? Boedker.

I'd be fine letting Domi and Duclair do their thing. Maybe fine-tune their awareness without the puck and in their own end, but exploit them for what they are rather than converting them into something they're not.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I really despise Tippett's insistence that every forward be a two-way forward. The whole damn forward corps with the exception of Domi and Duclair are two-way guys. Guess who has done almost all of the offensive production? :help:

When you start saddling offensively-gifted players with defensive responsibilities, you know what you get? Boedker.

I'd be fine letting Domi and Duclair do their thing. Maybe fine-tune their awareness without the puck and in their own end, but exploit them for what they are rather than converting them into something they're not.

Bods problem is he does not shoot the puck, has zero to do with Tip. The NHL today is a game of mistakes. Tip is exploiting their game by giving them more PP minutes, while protecting the team a little with their 5 on 5 minutes. Duclair was sent down by the Rangers because of his poor play away from the puck on D. Domi/Duclair don't have to be stellar on D like Hanzal, they just can't be irresponsible. Our overall D game has been pretty good so far, mostly low scoring games against us, part of that is Smith too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad