GDT: Game 6: Arizona Coyotes @ New Jersey Devils ~ 10/20/15 16:00 UTC-7:00

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Tippett mentioned execution at least 6 times in this interview. We're f***ed now. Back on the tank bandwagon, I go.

But it is exactly that. So much lost possession. So many ineffective entries through the neutral zone and not getting pucks to the net. We get another 5 shots getting closer to the net, and we probably pick up another 2 scoring chances. Maybe a goal. That's executing...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, as suggested earlier in this thread (and board in general) once we hit a rough spot we "locked down" into the "system" and got worse.
I won't complain about the ice time distribution today, though.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It occurs to me that Plachta is the ideal guy to replace Boedker on the PP if Tippett is determined to have a forward on the point.

Big guy, defensively responsible, and the hardest wrister on the team.

So naturally he's scratched.

That seems like a tall order for his first NHL game.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So is this worth watching? I just got home and the first few pages of the thread mention it being awful.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The good news is that we got a point. The PK and Smith were good again, that is a big positive this year. Bods finally shot the puck and scored.

The bad news. PP obviously is bad and the short handed goals are worse. The shorties need to be fixed and the PP needs to be better. I hope they go with Stone now instead of Bods. Too many turnovers hurt us, poor exit passes, execution as Tip says.

Chip/Gordon/Downie were all under 10 minutes TOI. Domi/Duclair more ice time, everyone should be thrilled with that and Tip:)

We are 3-2-1, and the 2 losses were by a goal, so 7 points is pretty good, all things considered. We aren't going to be world beaters, we all knew that, but we have been in every game with a chance for points. Pretty happy with that.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
As folks have said, the first 3 that should have been out were Domi/Duclair/OEL, the 2nd group 3on3 should be Boedker/Doan/Stone or Boedker/Rieder/Stone

Hanzal is too slow of foot in a 3on3 situation, he's great making space 5on5, plus why not just beat the other team with speed since Domi/Duclair literally could walk around the entire Devils team, and if they tried to stop them, they'd take a penalty anyway and we'd get a man back for 4on3.

At least I get to watch Domi/Duclair/OEL...and on the occasion Boedker actually shoots, he's fun to watch as well.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
As folks have said, the first 3 that should have been out were Domi/Duclair/OEL, the 2nd group 3on3 should be
Boedker/Doan/Stone or Boedker/Rieder/Stone

Who is going to win the opening faceoff in any of these scenarios? You're likely going to lose possession right off the bat.

Would've preferred to see Vermette start in OT rather than Richardson. Even Hanzal over Richardson.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
What's wrong with this picture from the Coyotes' site?

CR0GGbmUAAAufhe.jpg

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Duclair had 7 points (1-6) through 18 games last year. He's now matched that total (5-2) through 7 games this year.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm not sure if Boedker got taken to task or what but he had a totally different mentality tonight and surprise surprise he scored!

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Haha #stockphoto. Good eye.

I found 5 mistakes with the photo.
Congratulations, you win a seat upgrade. I think. That in-game promo went away a couple years ago, right? Some optometrist was sponsoring it.

Every time the Hockey Operations department makes me happy, someone else in the franchise ***** the bed.

Speaking of which, did the Smoke's Poutine stand ever show up? I asked LeBlanc about that at the rookie camp town hall and there was talk of Smokes Poutine.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm not sure if Boedker got taken to task or what but he had a totally different mentality tonight and surprise surprise he scored!

Did you just watch the highlights? He was bad the first half until he got taken off the PP point after yet another SHG.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Terrible decision by Hanzal to pass that puck to Domi on the 2nd GA. Terrible. Domi had no space or time to do anything with the puck ... completely hung out to dry. Not sure how NJD got away with that crosscheck in OT, but whatever. We took 2 shots in the first period in a road game and still got a point. Good enough.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Those OT 3 on 3 are going to be an opportunity for head coaches with great hockey minds to jump out of the pack quickly.

The ones I have seen so far have been a fun, entertaining mess but I can see them eventually turning into basketball type set plays.

I suspect we will soon see pieces of art where starting a face off is won and three passes, 15 seconds later, the puck is in the net; the defeated team with little clue as to what happened.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Did you just watch the highlights? He was bad the first half until he got taken off the PP point after yet another SHG.

You do realize he had nothing to do with the SHG though, right?

Boedker dropped the pass to OEL, who then tried to swing it wide to Rieder. The pass was a little out in front (Rieder maybe could have gotten there), and as Rieder went to retrieve, Boedker hugged the corner at the blue line and wall so if Rieder got a stick on it, he could reverse it against the wall. Unfortunately, the Devils D sent it down the middle of the ice, and Boedker really had no play. Maybe you can fault him for being ever so slightly out of position.

But I digress, the PP needs to execute better, regardless.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Duclair had 7 points (1-6) through 18 games last year. He's now matched that total (5-2) through 7 games this year.

He played in the bottom 6 for the Rangers, isn't that right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad