Post-Game Talk: GAME 59 - DEATH, TAXES, TOO MANY MEN - Canucks 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Oh, and what does Monty mean when he constantly references the Bruins "hunting" or "going hunting"? Is that some psychological BS or what? This team can't hunt, it's the rabbit vs. the hound.
It means he's clueless. It's a bit scary but he has no idea what else to say. He's looking to make them sound like THEY'RE NOT the hunted but in the 3rd period they always seem to hear the click click, turn around the BOOOOM!

Trend has been more reliance on the officials.
But hoping the officials will be your answer to getting abused on the ice is like telling your son not to worry that the bully's will gang up on him after school; he can always call the cops after they injure him.
"injure" is a gentle way of saying it.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Good question.

I certainly would and I hope that they have a plan to move one of Grzelcyk or Forbort to open a spot for him.
I could see them sitting Gryz. Wotherspoon and Forbort would be third pair. But at the same time we don’t play strict pairs. So different situations will dictate who goes out and plays with McAvoy.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Ullmark to start. Swayman has shown he's capable of being a starter.. 5 mill would go a long way towards a #1 center.
Goaltending is the strength of the team. If they traded Ullmark and Swayman got hurt, the team would be toast.

So who would you have signed summer as the #1 center with your 5 million? Goaltenders don't bring that much in trades. You'd have to give up a lot more than Ullmark to get a #1 center in a trade, and the trading team would have to need a goaltender very badly. #1 centers are the hardest position to acquire in the league.

Sweeney was all in last year, and I thought that was the right approach. And, we all knew this was a transition year. I had them pegged to fight TBL for third in the division, so their current position is much better than I expected.

The cap will go up a lot this summer and Sweeney is a lot better position to acquire a good center and another good dman. No guarantee, however, that Lindholm and Hanifin make it to July 1, but we can hope.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
3-7 since all star break (yeah you can make it look good by saying they got a point in a few of those. To me a loss is a loss)

Times like these obviously expose a teams weak areas. I am liking our bottom 6 forwards.
Top 6....something is amiss.
Zacha is on par to finish with less than 50 points this year. Last year he finished 57 pts on the 3rd line🤔

Just looking through different teams centermen and their contracts....slim pickings.

Reactions: Gordoff

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Oh, and what does Monty mean when he constantly references the Bruins "hunting" or "going hunting"? Is that some psychological BS or what? This team can't hunt, it's the rabbit vs. the hound.
Late 3rd period Bruins:
elmer-fudd-very-quiet.gif

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
All I have to say is this: If Charlie Jacobs is serious about wanting to get his parents' names on the Cup again he needs to either lean on present management to get mentally & physically tougher players or bring in new management to get it done.

This team does not have the mental or physical fortitude necessary to win anything.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
You do realize that goalie trades are rare, mostly during the offseason for draft picks?

Goaltending is the strength of the team. If they traded Ullmark and Swayman got hurt, the team would be toast.

So who would you have signed summer as the #1 center with your 5 million? Goaltenders don't bring that much in trades. You'd have to give up a lot more than Ullmark to get a #1 center in a trade, and the trading team would have to need a goaltender very badly. #1 centers are the hardest position to acquire in the league.

Sweeney was all in last year, and I thought that was the right approach. And, we all knew this was a transition year. I had them pegged to fight TBL for third in the division, so their current position is much better than I expected.

The cap will go up a lot this summer and Sweeney is a lot better position to acquire a good center and another good dman. No guarantee, however, that Lindholm and Hanifin make it to July 1, but we can hope.

I never said trading Ullmark would get you a number 1 center I said his cap space would go a long way to obtaining a centre upgrade. Who is out there, who knows.. Not every player available is known to the public, lots of times these trades come out of nowhere. I do think much of the trouble lately with this group is the fact they didn't upgrade the position. They asked Coyle and Zacha to step into roles they had no business being in. They've been mediocre at best and it's having a trickle down effect through the entire forward group..

I think Swayman is more than capable of taking the reigns of this team and running with it. He has the confidence and the time is coming. You can't make decisions based on the fact that a player could potentially get injured down the road. Any number 1 goalie in the league could be injured at any time but carrying a 5 million dollar backup at the detement of the forward group isn't making a bunch of sense to alot of people right now.

Edmonton needs a goalie, Bruins need a C. I've always said a RNH Ullmark swap made sense. He'd an upgrade, he's a great two way guy coming off a 100 point season and has 50 thus far this season. Cap hits are exactly the same. Lots of guys to look at, that's Donnys job.

Great thing about this forum is I can have an opinion like anyone else can

SonnyBoy

Jan 25, 2022
One more gripe about this season's team before I go to bed...

They have now allowed a league-high 10 goals with their opponent's goalie pulled.

Carlo and Lindholm have been on for 6 of the 10.

Marchand, Coyle, and Zacha for 5.
How many goals against Sway and how many against Linus?

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I never said trading Ullmark would get you a number 1 center I said his cap space would go a long way to obtaining a centre upgrade. Who is out there, who knows.. Not every player available is known to the public, lots of times these trades come out of nowhere. I do think much of the trouble lately with this group is the fact they didn't upgrade the position. They asked Coyle and Zacha to step into roles they had no business being in. They've been mediocre at best and it's having a trickle down effect through the entire forward group..

I think Swayman is more than capable of taking the reigns of this team and running with it. He has the confidence and the time is coming. You can't make decisions based on the fact that a player could potentially get injured down the road. Any number 1 goalie in the league could be injured at any time but carrying a 5 million dollar backup at the detement of the forward group isn't making a bunch of sense to alot of people right now.

Edmonton needs a goalie, Bruins need a C. I've always said a RNH Ullmark swap made sense. He'd an upgrade, he's a great two way guy coming off a 100 point season and has 50 thus far this season. Cap hits are exactly the same. Lots of guys to look at, that's Donnys job.

Great thing about this forum is I can have an opinion like anyone else can
Yes, I agree that everyone's opinion here is respected, I think, and I respect your right to have an opinion.

When you criticized Sweeney for not replacing Bergeron and Krejci, I pointed out that he didn't have the cap space or the trade assets to replace them. I also asked you to specify who you would have targeted as their replacements, and how you would manage the cap and the trades. You replied that trading Ullmark would free $5 million and it would.

I think he should target Lindholm and Hanifin this summer. He'll have to let some people, such as Griz and DeBrusk, walk if he does sign those two. He may have to even trade either Ullmark or one of Coyle or Zacha to fit under the cap. Who knows if they even make it to July 1, or if they do, they will accept what Sweeney offers. It will be a challenging summer for Sweeney, but at least he has more cap space than he did last summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad