Post-Game Talk: GAME 59 - DEATH, TAXES, TOO MANY MEN - Canucks 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Following Bruins logic on non-playoff success meaning squat when it comes to the playoffs, wouldn't these other teams ramping it up also mean nothing at all? Or are premium points more akin to playoff wins and thus highly desirable?
You see if they win these games it means nothing because of last year and if they lose these games (or god forbid go 3-3-4 over 10 games) the world is coming to an end

Reactions: NDiesel and lopey

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
it's comical how butthurt vancouver fans remain over 2011. does anyone watch a bruins blues game and even think
that much about 2019? the canucks are totally irrelevant - someone called this game a "rivalry" last night and all you
can do is shrug. maybe seattle will become their rival someday.
Maybe.... but when looking in Bruins mirror... 2019 loss seems to feel the same for alot of our group!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
it's comical how butthurt vancouver fans remain over 2011. does anyone watch a bruins blues game and even think
that much about 2019? the canucks are totally irrelevant - someone called this game a "rivalry" last night and all you
can do is shrug. maybe seattle will become their rival someday.
When a canucks fan tells me they’re excited about the rivalry game last night

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'm sure he'll say "Hey guys, look at this team I'm coaching. Let's see some other coach do better with this line-up."
I think many could, the mental mistakes, constant line shuffling, forcing guys into the line up who should not be on NHL rosters, too many mistakes from Monty. Sweeney's whole smartest guy in the room act and lackadaisical attitude. Putting the softest team in 100 years of Bruins hockey on the ice.

They have a chance to reset this in the summer. They have cap space and players to move. Only deals that should be made now are unloading the UFAs, DeBrusk, Grizz, Forbort. Bring in low cap hit grit and get an identity again that isn't softest team in the league.

I don’t think most of us harbor some deep hatred for the Blues though.

We Atleast acknowledge that our team botched it. Vancouver fans blamed the league, the officiating, the Bruins being dirty, etc.
I would love a fanbase to to hate the Bruins again for being tough and dirty.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Sure I wouldn’t mortgage the future for this team either- they’re not in a position to do that. I want a tough bottom pair d and a tough 4th liner.

But there’s a big difference between what we are talking about and SELLING. That’s trading off multiple roster pieces for picks and prospects.
Ya I agree. I won’t say I detest their 4th line but I do fail to see how it moves the needle at all as currently constructed.

Though really if their hopes depend on how that line plays/produces in the playoffs they’re toast anyways.

I still think, if they both signed immediately, Debrusk for Hanifin makes sense for Boston. Not sure it does for Calgary, I don’t follow them enough to know. But from Bostons point of view finding forwards that can at least be competent is a lot easier than finding top 3 dmen in their prime years.

Reactions: CDJ

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Debrusk can be first on the list but nobody is going to be knocking down doors for such an inconsistent player whom will want a raise.

The only real asset with some value is one of the goalies but they are the backbone of this team.

This team has too many holes to be a contender. Last year we had Berg, Krec, Orlov, Bertuzzi and got bounced in the 1st round, this season we only have a few re-threads for additions.

Not going to be fun to watch..
All I said is they could tweek things and you started saying basically that they have nothing with worth to do it. Debrusk has scored goals in playoffs before and bagged 27 in a season so he has some worth to a team wanting to win but can't take on salary longterm.Anyhow I am fine if they do not waste assets and kind of reset things a bit here.Sweeney though has not sat idle ever so we shall see.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
3-3-4 in the last ten and you’d think they’re 1-9-0 judging by some of you

It is their season’s bad stretch and they’re basically playing .500 hockey and people want to sell with the 2nd most points in the league lmfao f***ing delusional
They have 7 regulation wins in their last 23 games. I agree that they’re not likely to “sell sell sell”, but 23 games out of 59 is not a “bad stretch”, it’s closer to what they are.

They built-up a huge cushion by overachieving due to smoke, mirrors, goaltending and Pasta, and are merely surviving on loser points at the moment. Will be lucky to be 3rd in the division by the end of it, not that that really matters of course.

Make it to the playoffs, roll the dice, and maybe they’ll overachieve in the playoffs as well. And if not then shrug. Be better next year.

Last edited:

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I don’t think most of us harbor some deep hatred for the Blues though.

We Atleast acknowledge that our team botched it. Vancouver fans blamed the league, the officiating, the Bruins being dirty, etc.
Well my niece and her family moved from Boston to St. Louis, literally in the spring of 2019, if you can believe it. I told her I had no interest in visiting them there (I live in Toronto, not Boston). I managed to avoid it for 2 years, thanks to the pandemic lol, and when I finally did go I was none too happy about it. But I got over it by convincing myself that I was going to Missouri to see the rivers not the city lol. Still have no intention of seeing a hockey game there, well until the Bruins win the Cup again (which I thought they were going to do last year. I don’t expect them to this year so maybe they’ll surprise me). Sucks regardless because I used to go visit them in Boston all the time. But wtf wants to go to St Louis?

Reactions: CrownofThornton

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
3-3-4 in the last ten and you’d think they’re 1-9-0 judging by some of you

It is their season’s bad stretch and they’re basically playing .500 hockey and people want to sell with the 2nd most points in the league lmfao f***ing delusional

I mean it’s 3 wins and 7 losses. Sure they snagged a point in some of those losses. However come playoff time you don’t get points for OT losses.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I mean it’s 3 wins and 7 losses. Sure they snagged a point in some of those losses. However come playoff time you don’t get points for OT losses.
As Felger likes to say, the beautiful thing about sports is there’s this thing called a scoreboard.

We’ll see what it says come May.

I feel like this team is much closer to what we’ve seen post All Star break than what their record before indicated, but I’d love to see them surprise me and go on a run.

I don’t expect them to sell, and they don’t have much ammo with which to upgrade this roster.

You cannot go into the playoffs with Morgan Geekie centering power play 1 so they need Zacha to find his game or they’re DOA.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Have to feel excited about the found money in our bottom 6.

Where I'm getting annoyed now is it feels like Monty is a child who plays with his dingus a bit too much for my liking. Stop fiddling so much! The fiddled PP in the third wasn't needed.

I think our middle 6 needs a Tarasenko kind of guy for some skill. I think we'll be pumped when Gryz leaves in the offseason and we can put some size in that spot.

As for being the second worst NHL team giving up goals 6 on 5 at the end, man I dunno. It's Vegas, Montreal (8), and us (7). What a nightmare. It HAS to be coaching imho. Because the alternative is this core isn't mentally tough enough, which is scary if that's the thing.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Name a team that has sold off while being top three in the entire league. Ever. This is silly - putting it on ownership that if they’d only let him Sweeney would tear it down. No one does that.

Obviously they won’t be selling the farm for rentals this year. Maybe no big moves at all. But selling off this high in the standings is something only Bruins fans would suggest. It’s madness.
Agreed, it's madness. But that's all we've got!

All kidding aside, going forward all the FO can do is hold the line.
If they sold off pieces they'd be fired by lunch time that day.
Loser points have muddled the field but every team has them.
In the end Sweeney is smart enough to right this ship, he's paying for the
all star team that he assembled and then had to watch dis-assemble last off season.
There will be big personnel changes in the off season, only question left is with the coaching staff.
I know what I would do but I'm not paid to be in Sweeneys shoes.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Teams in a funk. Getting points but not winning games. Long season. I want to see Debrusk moved he is not scoring and he is supposed to be a scorer. Our biggest problem is goal scoring. Wont win to many games scoring 2 goals.
To me it's a no brainer you absolutely move him at the deadline. Get whatever you can. The Bruins would barely miss his play. I would move Grizz and Forbort as well, but you're not going to get much for them.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
BTW ... it's not 'loser points' it is one point for a TIE.

Overtime/ shootout is a gimmick created for entertainment purposes by the league so that fans could go home saying somebody won the contest.

Producing a winner in the playoffs and playoff overtime is vastly different than the regular season. One cannot predict how a team will do in the playoffs based on their overtime regular season record.

This team appears to be built based on analytics equaling transition and skating that would be best suited for a non-contact league. While individual players may be tough and capable of taking a beating the team identity lacks any intimidation of a physical nature towards its opponents. Opponents realize the team will not retaliate and therefore take liberties with our players. This has been an issue with this team that has grown exponentially over the years.

The team is built for the regular season which is a lot like your late Saturday night early Sunday morning non-contact pick up game, whereas the playoffs are more like a steel cage match and last man standing is the winner. The team needs an influx of physical testosterone driven mental toughness defending teammates, physically punishing opponents (which starts with finishing your checks with Force), driving to do whatever it takes to win, take no hostages, no BS, and go for the kill. Which the team lacks along with other (some major) positional holes in lineup.

Until then, the team will continue to be pushed around attempting to win based solely on finesse and skill. Which has been the trend and the evolution of the league's regular season. And we will enjoy the success and wins of the regular season giving us the illusion of a playoff contender. However the playoffs are an entirely different Beast. Where it is a dog eat dog world and if you can't run with the big dogs you better not get off the porch.
THIS is great! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
You can't really point out one particular player on this squad and blame him for what ails the Bruins. Marchy doesn't have Bergy to look for on the ice anymore. Krejci is gone. Hall gone. The team just isn't what it was last year. To strengthen the roster at the deadline you have to have assets other team require and the price is always high. Bruins haven't got a pick until the 4th round. Sweeny has his work cut out if he thinks he can improve this lunch pail gang. Other contenders will be looking at the goalies. Last night they sat in a shooting gallery in the 3rd period hoping for a miracle that never came. Never win too many games with that philosophy.
"Lunch Pail gang?" This crew is the paper bag (lunch) crew. Can't fight their way out of a paper bag that is.

• Love
Reactions: BMC and Aeroforce

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think many could, the mental mistakes, constant line shuffling, forcing guys into the line up who should not be on NHL rosters, too many mistakes from Monty. Sweeney's whole smartest guy in the room act and lackadaisical attitude. Putting the softest team in 100 years of Bruins hockey on the ice.

They have a chance to reset this in the summer. They have cap space and players to move. Only deals that should be made now are unloading the UFAs, DeBrusk, Grizz, Forbort. Bring in low cap hit grit and get an identity again that isn't softest team in the league.

I would love a fanbase to to hate the Bruins again for being tough and dirty.
Yet, a lot of other teams fans still think they're "tough and dirty." lol

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
BTW ... it's not 'loser points' it is one point for a TIE.

Overtime/ shootout is a gimmick created for entertainment purposes by the league so that fans could go home saying somebody won the contest.

Producing a winner in the playoffs and playoff overtime is vastly different than the regular season. One cannot predict how a team will do in the playoffs based on their overtime regular season record.

This team appears to be built based on analytics equaling transition and skating that would be best suited for a non-contact league. While individual players may be tough and capable of taking a beating the team identity lacks any intimidation of a physical nature towards its opponents. Opponents realize the team will not retaliate and therefore take liberties with our players. This has been an issue with this team that has grown exponentially over the years.

The team is built for the regular season which is a lot like your late Saturday night early Sunday morning non-contact pick up game, whereas the playoffs are more like a steel cage match and last man standing is the winner. The team needs an influx of physical testosterone driven mental toughness defending teammates, physically punishing opponents (which starts with finishing your checks with Force), driving to do whatever it takes to win, take no hostages, no BS, and go for the kill. Which the team lacks along with other (some major) positional holes in lineup.

Until then, the team will continue to be pushed around attempting to win based solely on finesse and skill. Which has been the trend and the evolution of the league's regular season. And we will enjoy the success and wins of the regular season giving us the illusion of a playoff contender. However the playoffs are an entirely different Beast. Where it is a dog eat dog world and if you can't run with the big dogs you better not get off the porch.
Trend has been more reliance on the officials.
But hoping the officials will be your answer to getting abused on the ice is like telling your son not to worry that the bully's will gang up on him after school; he can always call the cops after they injure him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad