GDT: Game 59: Coyotes @ Stars - 6:30

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The only thing absolutely awful is Louie's record. Look at it compared to Smith's.

And? Smith is capable of standing on his head and producing a win regardless of the team in front of him occasionally. They both have losing records. Smith's numbers aren't anything special. No average starter would look good behind this team. Louie's numbers are similar to Varlamov this year, as an example.

Judging goalies by their W/L is really dumb to begin with.

Neither is a problem moving forward, so all this talk of dumping Louie is funny, as if that's going to be what helps this team. :laugh:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The only thing absolutely awful is Louie's record. Look at it compared to Smith's.

Did you read my post? Domingue only gets the worst possible starts. You can compare Domingue's usage to almost any backup in this league...nobody gets abused the way he does. For no reason. Not like it would any sense at all.
If you blame Domingue for this season, you just simply have no clue. Tippett is the one to blame. For his goalie usage and so many other things.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not judging by wins and losses. Smith has a better record because he can stop a puck.

I mentioned this in another post. Look at his save rate compared to the other goalies with his work load. Few have done better than him.

But he's got a big contract and glares at his teammates. Therefore, sucks.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not judging by wins and losses. Smith has a better record because he can stop a puck.

I mentioned this in another post. Look at his save rate compared to the other goalies with his work load. Few have done better than him.

But he's got a big contract and glares at his teammates. Therefore, sucks.

Lol:help:

Again. Read my post. Did you even notice what kind of games Domingue gets? Only those Smith doesn't want because he knows they're gonna be hail mary ones...that's also why they came up with that fake illness to bring up Hill for yesterday's game.
Name me only one coach in this league that uses his backup the way Tippett does. I can't think of one.
Just today, Torts started Korpisalo against the Isles and Bob will play tomorrow in the madison square garden. Do you think Tippett would have done the same? No way:laugh:
I could give you so many example of coaches giving backup goalies extra games to keep them in game shape...this season with all those break's it's more important than ever.
It also doesn't make sense to use your backup only in away games and only on 2nd nights of back to backs. Why wouldn't you try everything to win both games by giving your backup the 1st game and letting your starter deal with the 2nd one.

Once again. Use Smith the way Tippett used Domingue and his record wouldn't be the slightest bit better than Louis'. 100%

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You lost credibility at fake illness.

Yeah. Absolutely. Hill assigned btw. Who would bet against Smith starting tomorrow? After getting destroyed by Chicago, he just didn't feel like facing the Stars, knowing what would happen. Could have hurt his already pretty average starter stats if he had to jump in.

But yeah. Great excuse to justify ignoring the truth Respect.:yo:

Btw...Smith's contract sucks, not Domingue's.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You lost credibility at fake illness.

On top of the "type of starts". Don't matter who you play in the league. You have to be ready at any notice.

The Stars last night all figured out Domingue couldn't catch a beach ball with his glove and that's where the majority of open shots went.

Couple that with playing out away from the post too much instead of hugging it (wrap around goal).

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
On top of the "type of starts". Don't matter who you play in the league. You have to be ready at any notice.

The Stars last night all figured out Domingue couldn't catch a beach ball with his glove and that's where the majority of open shots went.

Couple that with playing out away from the post too much instead of hugging it (wrap around goal).

It was his 2nd game in 6 weeks. What did you expect? Him to be sharp?
The way the team played I also doubt Smith would have won it. Had a rough game himself vs Chicago anyway.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The way the team played I also doubt Smith would have won it. Had a rough game himself vs Chicago anyway.

Doesn't matter....

Smith came back after several weeks off because of a knee injury and played great.

Domingue came in last year playing little up until Smith went down and played great. Enough to earn himself a new contract. So what's the issue now?

Same coaches for both seasons so we can toss that excuse aside.

How many more "might haves" or "I doubts" are we going to hear??

Hell.... let me throw in my own and say if it hadn't been for Smith so far this year we'd be on the bottom looking up at the Avs.

:dunno:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Yup! Smith still gets a free pass and our young back up goalie is held to a higher standard.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Doesn't matter....

Smith came back after several weeks off because of a knee injury and played great.

Domingue came in last year playing little up until Smith went down and played great. Enough to earn himself a new contract. So what's the issue now?

Hell.... let me throw in my own and say if it hadn't been for Smith so far this year we'd be on the bottom looking up at the Avs.

Lol. Are you for real now? He came in and was sharp but that was because he played in Springfield previously.
Smith is overrated. Of course, compared to how bad he was in earlier seasons, he's done relatively well this season. Still, the defense has done really well this season and usually doesn't give up lots of quality chances. It's just the last couple of games without Stone that they fell apart. Forward depth was the problem all season long. Too many passengers. It shows especially during back to backs. 2nd nights usually pretty rough. It also doesn't help that many of those games are often against the top western teams.
Outside of the stretch when Smith was out, Domingue played: @CLS/@PIT/@CGY/NYI/ANH/@WPG/@MIN/@EDM/@DAL

He's 1-1 at home and I think only one of those starts the team didn't play the night before. If you look at the opponents they're all either top teams or have very good home records and high end offense. Almost impossible to do well in those hail mary games without being in game shape.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yea because it's wise to put players expected to be traded at the deadline at risk for an injury so severe that the injury blows any trade deal from taking place. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

You don't get it either. Hanzal and other players in this position are playing for next years contract and future, whether it is here or another team, so I don't think it is fair to the player or team by sitting him 10 games before TTD. These players have earned their UFA status and by sitting them you could be hurting their future. I could see if a trade is almost complete you sit a player for one game, but not what you and rt are suggesting. It's hockey, injuries can happen.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah. Absolutely. Hill assigned btw. Who would bet against Smith starting tomorrow? After getting destroyed by Chicago, he just didn't feel like facing the Stars, knowing what would happen. Could have hurt his already pretty average starter stats if he had to jump in.

But yeah. Great excuse to justify ignoring the truth Respect.:yo:

Give it a rest, you're not making sense.
Btw....Domingue sucks, not Smith. (This year)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Lol. Are you for real now? He came in and was sharp but that was because he played in Springfield previously.
Smith is overrated. Of course, compared to how bad he was in earlier seasons, he's done relatively well this season. Still, the defense has done really well this season and usually doesn't give up lots of quality chances. It's just the last couple of games without Stone that they fell apart. Forward depth was the problem all season long. Too many passengers. It shows especially during back to backs. 2nd nights usually pretty rough. It also doesn't help that many of those games are often against the top western teams.
Outside of the stretch when Smith was out, Domingue played: @CLS/@PIT/@CGY/NYI/ANH/@WPG/@MIN/@EDM/@DAL

He's 1-1 at home and I think only one of those starts the team didn't play the night before. If you look at the opponents they're all either top teams or have very good home records and high end offense. Almost impossible to do well in those hail mary games without being in game shape.

Or D fell apart without Stone? Have you watched the Coyotes?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Correct. DT didn't even blame Domingue on that goal. He said it should have been an icing call if our D (Murphy) used his legs and hustled a bit more.

DT acknowledged that a back up goalie is put in a difficult position, but at the same time it's your job too be ready. Like Legend said, DL couldn't stop a beach ball with his glove.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Doesn't matter....

Smith has been our best player this year, LD has been a below average back up. I am not sure LD will be in the NHL next year.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Yes! Smith's contract does suck.

You don't get it either. Hanzal and other players in this position are playing for next years contract and future, whether it is here or another team, so I don't think it is fair to the player or team by sitting him 10 games before TTD. These players have earned their UFA status and by sitting them you could be hurting their future. I could see if a trade is almost complete you sit a player for one game, but not what you and rt are suggesting. It's hockey, injuries can happen.

Funny man.:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Or D fell apart without Stone? Have you watched the Coyotes?

You know what...it's just normal that you need some time after an injury like that. He had a few bad games but played a decent season overall. I explained that in the other thread. Played quite a lot of reliable minutes despite returning from injury. Lead all defenders in +/- despite playing the most difficult minutes of them all. I don't give a **** about those shot based advanced stats. Pure rubbish. Shots mean nothing. The Blues average 27,7 shots per game but scored 170 goals. Pittsburgh allowed 32,4 shots per game but only gave up 168 goals.

Connauton played some good games before, but he was terrible vs. Dallas. DeAngelo also played a very rough game vs. Chicago. Having Stone, believe it or not, would have helped a lot to stabilize the team. For once, it wasn't just the offense that struggled. Defense was in serious trouble for both games. If DeAngelo doesn't get it together, we'll catch the Avs pretty quickly. They probably dealt Stone because they thought DeAngelo would be ready. If he isn't, the rest of the season won't be pretty. I can promise you that.

DT acknowledged that a back up goalie is put in a difficult position, but at the same time it's your job too be ready. Like Legend said, DL couldn't stop a beach ball with his glove.

Again. Domingue was as ready as you could expect after getting only one game in six weeks. Name me only one coach who treats his backup the way Tippett does. Two mods already failed to do so. I follow the league quite a bit and I couldn't think of a similar case. I hear a lot of coaches talking about how important it is to keep your backup sharp by giving them additional games or the easier front end of a back to back. Even those who are fighting for a playoff spot do it. The Coyotes have nothing to play for other than Nolan Patrick.

Smith has been our best player this year, LD has been a below average back up. I am not sure LD will be in the NHL next year.

Best player? How? Surely had 4,5 bad games this month alone. Chicago was only the latest episode. For Smith standarts, he's been very good this season. But let's not fool ourselves. The defense has done a pretty good job in the slot. We give up a lot of shots but apart from forward mistakes, they don't allow lots of quality chances. Smith has stopped quite a few shots but many of which have been pretty easy ones. Good season by his standarts...he's nothing more but your average starter though and his contract still sucks ass.

Domingue may not be in the NHL next season, I agree. Not sure he deserves it though. You see it very often. Career AHL goalies come up and do a very good job on a consistent basis. Dell is only the latest example.
I feel very sorry for Louis. The way he gets treated, we'll never find out what he's capable of.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Are you for real???

Our D has sucked for most of the year. Unless you think a regular diet of Yandlesque blue line turnovers are a required thing with a top D core.

You've let your disdain for Smith cloud your assessment of things.

Smith has the contract he has because the market and situation at the time dictated it. Yes.... Smith has had some bad games. Until last night though I'd yet to see Louis have one even remotely near what he performed last season. But is Smith overpaid for how he's played since 2012?? Certainly.

But that's how it goes. Ben Bishop had a Vezina season, gets a monster contract and then gets shuffled off to LA a couple of years later.

I read your posts and one moment you're crying crocodile tears over how Domingue is being used, yet still admit he's playing himself out of the NHL right now. Like it or not you play yourself into the league. Nothing is anointed.

Which leads me to believe you're so hung up on hating Smith that you're grasping at anything to justify it. :help:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Smith has been our best player this year, LD has been a below average back up.

I wouldn't disagree with this, but I'll say this - any team that can count Mike Smith as its best player is having a HORRENDOUS season.

I'll be happy when his albatross of a contract is off our necks. He's a nice enough guy and he can be stellar at times, but it's the times when he's not stellar that come too often and in too important of moments that really hurt us. Also, I'm way over his Greg Lougainis imitation.

I am not sure LD will be in the NHL next year.

Probably for the best.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Are you for real???

Our D has sucked for most of the year. Unless you think a regular diet of Yandlesque blue line turnovers are a required thing with a top D core.

You've let your disdain for Smith cloud your assessment of things.

Smith has the contract he has because the market and situation at the time dictated it. Yes.... Smith has had some bad games. Until last night though I'd yet to see Louis have one even remotely near what he performed last season. But is Smith overpaid for how he's played since 2012?? Certainly.

But that's how it goes. Ben Bishop had a Vezina season, gets a monster contract and then gets shuffled off to LA a couple of years later.

I read your posts and one moment you're crying crocodile tears over how Domingue is being used, yet still admit he's playing himself out of the NHL right now. Like it or not you play yourself into the league. Nothing is anointed.

Which leads me to believe you're so hung up on hating Smith that you're grasping at anything to justify it. :help:

Further supporting the idea of not giving any goalie big term and money.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You might be right in that. But there will always be a GM out there willing to pump a ton of money onto a goalie if the situation is right.

Look at Price for an example. Having a tough year, but man I would pay him the big bucks in a second.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I don't like giving any player big term. 5 yrs. would be all I would go, not these 8 yr. deals we see popping up.

For some players I'd absolutely give 8 years, but they are franchise level number 1 dmen or forwards. I just think with goalies the gap between the elite and the average or even bottom 10 starters isn't that big anymore, and it seems to be impossible to predict any goalies performance year to year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad