GDT: Game 59: Coyotes @ Stars - 6:30

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's ridiculous. All 30 teams know exactly who Hanzal is and what he's about. Short of potting back-to-back hat tricks in the final two pre-deadline games the ONLY thing that's going to impact his trade value is injury or suspension. Both of which he has much more of a propensity for than huge, break-out, offensive explosions of points. The only realistic impact on his trade value by playing these final two games is negative impact. There is no upside other than Dave Tippett not being ready to let go of having (in his warped little mind) the best chance to compete in all 82 games. As if he has any damned memory of what that looks like after the last five years of outright failure and humiliation.

Not as ridiculous as you saying he should be scratched.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Can you blame him? Why play hard for a team that didn't have the class to offer a token contract?

If you haven't noticed Hanzal is playing as well as he ever has. As hbk stated, they talked contract before the season started. Both parties know where the other stands.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hey at least we got about a month of the team playing exciting hockey for one or two periods a game. We shouldn't be greedy. Can't understand why that's not enough to pack the house every night. :sarcasm:

No problems with this team. At least nothing that scratching a few young guys won't solve.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Martin Hanzal got literally over 20 ****ing mins of ice time. He's a forward. And our blue chip trade piece made of glass. Just so we can get trounced? Again?!?!? Tippett is so weak.

Saw him take a hit from Hamhuis behind the net in the third and looked like he took the brunt of it in his hips and lower back - thought that was the end of our trade prospects...

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Dominguez was MUCH better last year. He's feeling the heat.

And Mike Smith continues to get a free pass.

Smith plays bad = "It's a team sport" and "He has an inexperienced team in front of him."

Domingue plays bad = "It's all Domingue's fault."

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
And Mike Smith continues to get a free pass.

Smith plays bad = "It's a team sport" and "He has an inexperienced team in front of him."

Dominguez plays bad = "It's all Dominguez fault."

A coach should never call out a player publicly; very bad leadership technique. Tell him to his face, and/or bench him, but the players need to know the coach has their back.

That said, our two goalies are on completely different levels this year.

Smitty 2.92 GAA .915 SV%
Dom 3.38 GAA .893 SV%

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
A coach should never call out a player publicly; very bad leadership technique. Tell him to his face, and/or bench him, but the players need to know the coach has their back.

Smitty 2.92 GAA .915 SV%
Dom 3.38 GAA .893 SV%

They both look ****** to me but Smith's career is almost over where the back up is a young player developing. Oh yea, I forgot, "The NHL isn't a development league." :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Smitty 2.92 GAA .915 SV%
Dom 3.38 GAA .893 SV%
I don't know, I think it depends on the player. I'd agree that the first step should be face to face, but if you've had a few sit downs and have scratched him a few times, calling him out in public might be the next step.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't know, I think it depends on the player. I'd agree that the first step should be face to face, but if you've had a few sit downs and have scratched him a few times, calling him out in public might be the next step.

I've never been a pro athlete, but human nature is the same. I learned leadership from the U.S. Army. When things go well, leaders credit their troops, when things go wrong they take the blame. The troops (players) know when they've let the leader (coach) down, and when they see the leader (coach) taking the heat they will fight even harder for that guy/gal. It's how you instill intense loyalty, commitment, effort, sacrifice, etc.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Smitty 2.92 GAA .915 SV%
Dom 3.38 GAA .893 SV%

Comments like that make me laugh out loud. While I wouldn't quite say that Domingue is likely to be capable of being a Nr1 goalie, he showed very well last season until he tired out because Tippett didn't give him a break.
But by handling our goalies the way Tippett does, we'll never find out what he's capable of. You can completely forget about Domingue's numbers. Not even Dubnyk or Jones would be much better when being used like Domingue. He almost exclusively gets 2nd nights of back to backs, almost always away games against top teams of the western. The team has played some really rough games like the one last night in Dallas. After a great 1st period they spent all 2nd period in the own zone. I quit watching, knowing what would happen. Without even watching the 3rd, I can confirm that no goalie would have won that one for us. Tippett knew it as well..that's why they brought in Hill to make sure Smith doesn't have to play.

I can't think of another franchise that splits goalie duties in a similar way. Domingue gets no rhythm whatsoever and only the absolute hail mary starts:cry:
For a rebuilding franchise, this is nothing but stupid...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Or inversely, exactly how you can lose the room and have people going through the motions...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yea because it's wise to put players expected to be traded at the deadline at risk for an injury so severe that the injury blows any trade deal from taking place. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

And when you sit him, other GMs around the league will think that the reason for sitting him is b/c another deal is lined up with a different team. Now, we start to wonder why no GM is calling us about Hanzal, since all of them probably think that he is going to be traded somewhere else.

Quick question - how many other teams have sat players in anticipation of a trade? I would bet that there are more occurrences of a player being told to pack up his stuff in between periods of a game, as opposed to being sat out on purpose.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I've never been a pro athlete, but human nature is the same. I learned leadership from the U.S. Army. When things go well, leaders credit their troops, when things go wrong they take the blame. The troops (players) know when they've let the leader (coach) down, and when they see the leader (coach) taking the heat they will fight even harder for that guy/gal. It's how you instill intense loyalty, commitment, effort, sacrifice, etc.

Generally speaking I agree, but I can also see some athletes responding to being publicly called out. I'm not saying every time something goes wrong you call a press conference, because the vast majority of the time I agree, but some athletes might need that from time to time. I'd also say a good leader knows that each person is different and might respond to different forms of encouragement.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Generally speaking I agree, but I can also see some athletes responding to being publicly called out. I'm not saying every time something goes wrong you call a press conference, because the vast majority of the time I agree, but some athletes might need that from time to time. I'd also say a good leader knows that each person is different and might respond to different forms of encouragement.

This.

Now I do have a question - was Domingue called out in a post game presser, or is it just based off of Sarah's twitter? If people are reading into Twitter comments, I see no evidence of Tippett calling Domingue out, rather Domingue calling himself out and saying that he is in a position to show what he can do, and if he doesn't show that, he may be out of the league.

Am I missing something from the context of above and how Tippett is calling out Domingue?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This.

Now I do have a question - was Domingue called out in a post game presser, or is it just based off of Sarah's twitter? If people are reading into Twitter comments, I see no evidence of Tippett calling Domingue out, rather Domingue calling himself out and saying that he is in a position to show what he can do, and if he doesn't show that, he may be out of the league.

Am I missing something from the context of above and how Tippett is calling out Domingue?

I don't think he did this game, but has previously.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't think he did this game, but has previously.

So, that's where I go back to the context - he has done it before, but it is not like he called out him out in public every time.

Sometimes you have those games where you remember glaring errors by specific individuals. Sometimes, it comes down to not communicating or working right as a team. There are advantages and disadvantages to calling someone out (publicly). The disadvantage meaning that its public, but the advantage is you keep everyone honest with themselves.

I think goalies are also a little interesting, b/c let's face it, if this team were in front of you, it is easy to mail it in and not work at the little facets of the game.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Tippet's post-game was pretty tame. He said Domingue did well most of the game and gave a push to compliment Hanzal as well (boost value). The only negative comment was the typical "lack of execution."

On scratching Hanzal... While it may sound like a good plan,. it could also lessen his trade value. "Why did you scratch Hanzal? Is he that breakable? If so, I'm giving up less"

On Domingue...He had a rough one, but it his job as a BU to pull through when called upon. IMO, two of the goals were pretty much his fault, but the rest were probably due to the D. Of course, even if we take those out, we'd still have lost. On the other hand, I don't fault Domingue too much, since he hasn't had much in the way of consistent starts (which is when he excels). Personally, I think he'd be better off elsewhere (where he'd get more starts), but at this point I can't imagine anyone is interested in him.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Domingue isn't the kind of player who can play effectively when stone cold. He needs to play more regularly for him to be effective. Tippett rides his #1 so Domingue isn't the ideal backup for this team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Domingue isn't the kind of player who can play effectively when stone cold. He needs to play more regularly for him to be effective. Tippett rides his #1 so Domingue isn't the ideal backup for this team.

Other coaches also ride their number one...but that doesn't mean they give their backups only the hail mary starts.
A coach who rides his number 1 during a rebuild the way Tippett did so far might not be the ideal coach for this team

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Good. He's had maybe 3 good games this year.

Your judgement regarding goalies is absolutely awful. You think point blank shots or shots through heavy traffic (including redirections) that end up going in are somehow exclusively the fault of the goalie. The Coyotes gave up 2 prime scoring chances in the slot and got punished for it, that's not on Louie. He stopped numerous point blank chances and scrambles. That game could have been worse.

If this team played D as well as the playoffs years you'd be excited about Smith in top form and having a stud young goalie behind him in case things go wrong. Instead, Smith occasionally looks good but the team generally plays like ass. If the Avalanche weren't so abysmal, this team would be in last place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad