GDT: Game 59: Columbus vs. Buffalo | 2/19 7PM EST

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The team played a fine game tonight, Dubi line had chances every shift... Lehner was just good. My argument is losing 2 points to the Sabres is a good thing in the short term.

That does change my mind a bit. The important thing to me is that they play the right way. I didn't see the game so I'll take your word for it.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I was going "Don Cherry" on Korpse for not doing anything. I do think that his European background is why he didn't and I think that he probably deserved a pass from the coach on this-along with a stern lecture about what his proper response should be in the future.

Are you kidding me? His job is to stop the puck and his style is to do it calmly. Going for a fight you're doomed to lose makes zero sense. If your nature is not a hothead (like Rask is after shootout losses), there is no use acting like one.

Nothing against pulling him though. The game was already lost and CMac must play sooner or later, so why not give him ~10min of ice time to shake it up.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Are you kidding me? His job is to stop the puck and his style is to do it calmly. Going for a fight you're doomed to lose makes zero sense. If your nature is not a hothead (like Rask is after shootout losses), there is no use acting like one.

It was Korpisalo's chivalrous nature which saved the Swede this night from being baked around the corners.

w300_tauski_henkivartija224.jpg

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
here is a funny thing.

I was watching the replay of the end of the game on FSN this am (it was on about 7:50am) and the last 1- seconds or so you hear the buffalo crowd start cheering and Rimer honest to god said something about the CBJ fans rising up to cheer on their team for a well played game... Honestly you can't make that stuff up.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Only Davidge alluded to this after the game, but I think Korpi got yanked for not skating down and helping out in the scrum when Lehner was going nuts. Why else would he get yanked in a meaningless last few minutes of a game? The 4th goal had already been scored, the game was over, his family was in the crowd, the 4 goals weren't really all his fault, CMac is totally cold and coming off injury so risks potential re-injury coming in cold. I think Torts was fuming that we were outmatched 6 on 5 and their goalie was challenging everyone and our goalie was sitting there in our end...and I agree with him

I was at the game and didn't even notice the goalie change. Perhaps I was texting like Korpse was probably doing on goal #2.

I was going "Don Cherry" on Korpse for not doing anything. I do think that his European background is why he didn't and I think that he probably deserved a pass from the coach on this-along with a stern lecture about what his proper response should be in the future.

The Jackets schedule is going to be tough over the next 10 games or so. I expect their offensive deficiencies to become more obvious over this stretch.

I agree. Korpi should have skated down there and kicked the crap out of that big oaf Lehner. In addition to adding his name to feared goalies he would have saved JMFJ the embarrassment of having to skate away from Lehner. No use having a big tough guy humiliated when you have a skinny ***** young goalie to protect him. :)sarcasm: for those who don't get the obvious)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If you are being straight up that it's basically "suck for Tkachuk", then very well then. I'd rather win, but at least you're honest. Let's cut out the Matthews talk. The odds are bad no matter where the team finishes.

The odds are worse if we continue to pile up meaningless wins.

I would like to see the process starting of learning how to win. If we were in a position where we looked at the roster and we knew we were in full rebuild, I would have a different response.

Would I like the #1 pick? Sure. Do I want the team to be trying to learn to win in October? No.
]

See end of last season, beginning of this one to see why this is not important to me.

That's crap. Don't pretend that this is some short term v long term issue. I think the Jackets future is far better served by getting this young squad to win. If this was the old lottery rules or if the team was lacking young talent then perhaps you can explain it, but you can't do this for Tkachuk or Chychrun, who are probably not going to be better than some of the young guys already on the roster. Tonight was terrible for a young squad that has to learn to play the right way.

Sometimes you learn by experiencing adversity.

The team played a fine game tonight, Dubi line had chances every shift... Lehner was just good. My argument is losing 2 points to the Sabres is a good thing in the short term.

That does change my mind a bit. The important thing to me is that they play the right way. I didn't see the game so I'll take your word for it.

They played okay. Korpi had a couple of bad breaks and Lehner was unconcious (although not like he would have been if Korpi had manned up :sarcasm:).

The important thing to understand is no one is advocating tanking. There are just some of us who would rather have even Tkachuk or Nylander than #10. I have always rooted for well played losses when we get into this position.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I know people hate tanking and I know the odds of getting the 1st pick aren't very good, but I agree with you. Some feel good wins late in the season are completely useless. We were all happy about the way they closed out last season, and then they started this year 0-8. Losing a lot the next 20 or so games and getting a great player is way better than winning the next 20 or so games and getting nothing.

I agree with this sentiment if the team plays hard and works on becoming a better team while losing. I'm against the team dogging it to lose. Drafting in the top 3 is huge

Here's a pretty good analysis of the value of draft picks.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-value-nhl-draft-picks/

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Geez might as well pull Korpi and let him rest.

Good call.

It baffles me that we have people saying Korpisalo was pulled because he didn't engage Lehner in that scrum. It's like we're looking for new ways to explain a second straight lost season. I look forward to reading comments about his softness and using last night as a reference for years to come.

Last night's game sucked. It had damn well better improve the team's draft position.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
I agree. Korpi should have skated down there and kicked the crap out of that big oaf Lehner. In addition to adding his name to feared goalies he would have saved JMFJ the embarrassment of having to skate away from Lehner. No use having a big tough guy humiliated when you have a skinny ***** young goalie to protect him. :)sarcasm: for those who don't get the obvious)

:)

CbdRk3CWwAER374.jpg

Korpi is like teenager. Last what I waited from Kid yesterday Hextall like actions when whole his family and sister were in Nationwide. He tried hard to concentrate on game ( especially when parents here:)) but it wasn't easy. My own kid for ex doesn't like when me and wife in arena during serious international competitions, goes nervous :)

:thumbu:
Welcome to ( best in NHL) CBJ family!

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm still baffled about Prout remaining in the lineup. He managed to stand out against a pretty bad team. CBJ may not have played well but Lehner was huge and Prout still looked awful

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
The fans that cheer for their team to lose deserve the team they have had for 15 years.

I've cheered for them to win for 15 years, I deserve better. I've never advocated tanking and I don't think you can anymore anyways with the changes in the lotto, but I have stated that the FO IMO is not wanting to win since I personally think winning and finishing among mid pack of the non playoff teams doesn't improve this team next year. I really think the FO thought they could get a top 4 or 5 pick and be immediately better.

There seems to be no way to win at this. I dunno what to think or cheer for at this point.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I really think the FO thought they could get a top 4 or 5 pick and be immediately better.
I doubt top 4 or 5 this draft make someone immediatelly better.Top 1 maybe, top 2 or 3 also maybe. In potential yes,but immediatelly not.
About this game, i feel bad for Korpisalo,this goal,crazy bounce...

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Jody commented after Torts put Curtis in saying it was the right move, and not because he didn't skate down and get involved

Why in the hell would we want our 21 year old goalie who has played so well to fight that lunatic?

Amazing some fans actually believe that would have been a good move

2minpenalty

Mar 29, 2011
I'm still baffled about Prout remaining in the lineup. He managed to stand out against a pretty bad team. CBJ may not have played well but Lehner was huge and Prout still looked awful

Me as well. It makes me question the team's ability to judge talent. Is Golo that bad that they think they are better with him out of the lineup. Very confusing from where I sit.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
So question guys...I missed the game but am thinking about going to the game in Boston. Not really excited to spend good money to see C-Mac in goal though. Who do you guys think will start Monday night?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
So question guys...I missed the game but am thinking about going to the game in Boston. Not really excited to spend good money to see C-Mac in goal though. Who do you guys think will start Monday night?
C-Mac. Joonas will get a night to watch after the loss

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Wait, people really, like actually, believe Korpi got yanked....because...he didn't fight the other goalie...?

Like...a goalie fight...that hasn't happened since DiPietro got rocked by Brent Johnson in 2010 or so....

Like...Korpisalo..21...who's as thin as a rail...against 5-6 year NHL veteran Robin Lehner....

And people think thats why he got yanked...?

Couldn't possibly be, you know, giving Curtis McElhinney action in a meaningless game, because he'd been out for a month with injury...Letting him shake off the cobwebs because he will have to play eventually.....Nah

I can leave now. What a joke.

Why do you think he got yanked then??

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why do you think he got yanked then??

I said it in the post. He got yanked to give McElhinney some game action, because he will have to play sometime and has been out with injury, and the game was over. Not to mention to give Korpisalo additional rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad