Post-Game Talk: Game 58: Habs spank Flyers 5-2

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Tortz letter to ticket holders few weeks back.

I'm not going to lie to you ... we're not there yet. This year was the first step in building the future of the Flyers and restoring our reputation as one of the most respected teams in hockey

Reactions: the

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Do you smell what The Hoff is cooking? Ah!

The Hoff's laying the Smackdown!

The Hoff says... The Hoff says...

Know your role and shut your mouth!

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...

Reactions: Runner77

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
bunch of grinders from the ahl playing at their 100% to earn a spot for next year. This team would tank better with more finished veterans. Im so pissed off man. Right now we have 5 unnecessary wins for the season.

The veterans have been playing well.

Dadonov: 8 pts in last 14 games
Matheson: 8 pts in last 8 games
Anderson: 9 pts in last 14 games
Drouin: 13 pts in last 16 games
Hoffman: 15 pts in last 19 games

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
bunch of grinders from the ahl playing at their 100% to earn a spot for next year. This team would tank better with more finished veterans. Im so pissed off man. Right now we have 5 unnecessary wins for the season.
I’m down to get that number to 29.

Reactions: Runner77

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Screw this stupid sexy team and their 11th pick
Feels like we’re drafting nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all.

AAC41E11-9AE8-4B20-9EA8-92F23D81293C.jpeg

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
that was such a boring uninspired game, Philly just going for the tank, Montreal trying to lock in 10th lol

I think management has stripped things down, but the players have not stopped caring.

Last year, the players were checked out under ducharme. It's not the same with msl, and it makes the "tank" harder.

This team is on a slightly higher pace this year with msl than last year when he took over, but not by much..... Ducharme's pace was other worldly low.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I think management has stripped things down, but the players have not stopped caring.

Last year, the players were checked out under ducharme. It's not the same with msl, and it makes the "tank" harder.

This team is on a slightly higher pace this year with msl than last year when he took over, but not by much..... Ducharme's pace was other worldly low.

Yeah you can only be so bad, it shows when you play good teams.. but when you play these bottom teams it really shows who's in the bedard sweepstakes. I mean I don't know how Montreal can tank worse unless they sit out Suzuki and Anderson at this point lol, Philly is so bad they are going all in for Bedard

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Yeah you can only be so bad, it shows when you play good teams.. but when you play these bottom teams it really shows who's in the bedard sweepstakes. I mean I don't know how Montreal can tank worse unless they sit out Suzuki and Anderson at this point lol, Philly is so bad they are going all in for Bedard
Fully disagreed. You don't spend draft capital for Deangelo or hire Torts in order to tank.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Fully disagreed. You don't spend draft capital for Deangelo or hire Torts in order to tank.
They're just delaying the inevitable. Chucklef*** is in denial. They need some top-end talent. Of course I wish they don't get it, because I hate the Flyers, but pragmatically, it's what they should do. The bottom-10/15 teams all have the chance to draft a special player this summer.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
They're just delaying the inevitable. Chucklef*** is in denial. They need some top-end talent. Of course I wish they don't get it, because I hate the Flyers, but pragmatically, it's what they should do. The bottom-10/15 teams all have the chance to draft a special player this summer.
They need the rebuild I agree ! Just stating they are not going for it ahah

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That was never going to happen when Comcast CEO said last summer at their investor conference, “Flyers management understand the need to consistently generate playoff revenue”.

Fletch-lives will be booted out after the season & Danny Briere will take over the retool on the fly

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'm starting to wonder how much adding two puck-moving, offensive D-men to the lineup in Barron and Matheson has helped offense with guys like Drouin, Hoffman, Dadonov, and Anderson.

It's hard to create offense if you don't have a good transition game. Matheson and Barron are very good at quickly moving the puck towards the offensive zone.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Matheson starting to look like a beast out there...

8 points in his last 8 games and a +9 :clap:
He is, but I think we should give credits to all the defenders since the All-Star/bye-weak break. They cleaned-up in the dzone, excellent transition and there is basically one dmen involved in each goals (which means Habs score more). And it's not just Barron/Matheson, even if they are the main contribuators.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I'm starting to wonder how much adding two puck-moving, offensive D-men to the lineup in Barron and Matheson has helped offense with guys like Drouin, Hoffman, Dadonov, and Anderson.

It's hard to create offense if you don't have a good transition game. Matheson and Barron are very good at quickly moving the puck towards the offensive zone.
Certainly doesn't hurt, but imo Hoff's turning point was getting on a line with Dach. I don't consider Hoff an off the rush sort of player; more of a 'half court' guy. Dach has the ability to play off the rush AND an old school half court game of puck cycling. Hoffman has simply carried over that confidence since Dach when out.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
A foregone conclusion we've passed Philadelphia and won't relinquish that spot.

We haven't passed them yet. They're still 2 pts up. They have a slightly better ppg (.467 to .466). Flyers also hold the first tie breaker.

Flyers are @ NJD tonight.

Sens love coming out & playing Montreal hard. Sens are 6-3-1 in last 10, but have lost 2 in a row. I expect they won't want to lose 3 in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad