GDT: Game 58: Dallas Stars @ San Jose Sharks, 7:30pm

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I believe 8 of 14 was referring to wins since Couture's been out. Not points.

Since couture has went down the sharks have gone 10-4, guess the sharks should fire and trade every one. We are so horrible because we went on a mini skid of 3 games and lost 4 in the past 6 games.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Since couture has went down the sharks have gone 10-4, guess the sharks should fire and trade every one. We are so horrible because we went on a mini skid of 3 games and lost 4 in the past 6 games.

Hey i'm not bringing the doom and gloom around here! I think they'll be fine lol

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It's 9-6 since Couture went down. They've handled it about as well as I would have expected them to. They got lucky that it happened during a relatively soft part of the schedule.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It's 9-6 since Couture went down. They've handled it about as well as I would have expected them to. They got lucky that it happened during a relatively soft part of the schedule.

which is still a .600 point %, which if they kept that pace up the entire season they would still be 9th in the entire league (they are 7th right now).

this team even this badly injured still still playing as if they are one of the best teams in the league. which is a really scary and very hopeful thing if we can get healthy and stay healthy.

and this relatively soft part of the schedule you talk about they still had to face 5 playoff teams as we speak. and another 3 that are either 1 or 2 points out of a playoff spot.

and 3 of those teams happen to be top 2 in there divisions. (in these games the sharks have a 2-1 record).

to many fans on this board just need to step back off the ledge of the cliff and just take a look at what this team has accomplished so far this year and that is and shouldn't be the best to come in my opinion. this team healthy is going to give every body fits, and that even includes the hawks.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
which is still a .600 point %, which if they kept that pace up the entire season they would still be 9th in the entire league (they are 7th right now).

this team even this badly injured still still playing as if they are one of the best teams in the league. which is a really scary and very hopeful thing if we can get healthy and stay healthy.

and this relatively soft part of the schedule you talk about they still had to face 5 playoff teams as we speak. and another 3 that are either 1 or 2 points out of a playoff spot.

and 3 of those teams happen to be top 2 in there divisions. (in these games the sharks have a 2-1 record).

to many fans on this board just need to step back off the ledge of the cliff and just take a look at what this team has accomplished so far this year and that is and shouldn't be the best to come in my opinion. this team healthy is going to give every body fits, and that even includes the hawks.

+1 on the whole comment

as for the bolded, :nod:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

I think those four games where the type where Couture would have an impact. Image what it would be if he was not out? I believe 9-1.

Havlat serves up some crow for me... 2 points coming from a goal and an assist that was the game winner in overtime giving him a +2 for the game. Great production from that line and is what we're suppose to see on his acquisition. Keep it up. I can eat crow all the way to the finals.

Hawks are having goalie issues with Crawford, more so than Sharks with Nemo. What is saving Crawford is their defense in front of him, imo. The key to beating the hawks is to separate him from his defense on breakaways or get into OT or SO, while keeping a tight defense. That recipe was spelled out loud and clear several times this year and in the last meet up with the Sharks.

I believe the Hawks would fall back to third in their division with a system of no loser points, i.e. just straight up wins/loses.

If the Sharks get healthy and stay tight (minimize mistakes), then they can beat most Pacific conference teams in the playoffs. The likely exception is the Ducks.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
What do people think of a

Marleau-Couture-Kennedy/Torres
Havlat-Shepard-Wingels

Type of deal? It was one game, but apparently Shep and Havlat looked good together.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Havlat-Shepard-Wingels

Type of deal? It was one game, but apparently Shep and Havlat looked good together.

Depends on who is playing well at the time and who isn't. Torres has not really fit well with Marleau and Couture. If Kennedy doesn't suck, he fits well there. The good Havlat would fit there. Wingels fits for the most part. I think Nieto and Hertl could work well there but probably not in the playoffs since Marleau and Couture will be the shutdown group.

As for Sheppard and Havlat, they'd need a reliable center between them or they will be chasing a lot so you'd want Pavelski or Desjardins in between them.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Depends on who is playing well at the time and who isn't. Torres has not really fit well with Marleau and Couture. If Kennedy doesn't suck, he fits well there. The good Havlat would fit there. Wingels fits for the most part. I think Nieto and Hertl could work well there but probably not in the playoffs since Marleau and Couture will be the shutdown group.

As for Sheppard and Havlat, they'd need a reliable center between them or they will be chasing a lot so you'd want Pavelski or Desjardins in between them.

Yes, this is solely based off the one game where Sheppard-Havlat-Wingels looked really good (apparently, as I did not watch the game).

Frankly, I had forgotten about Pavelski! I imagine that Pavelski-Havlat do not work together...

BTW, shout-out to Wingels, who I think fits with anybody.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I think those four games where the type where Couture would have an impact. Image what it would be if he was not out? I believe 9-1.

Havlat serves up some crow for me... 2 points coming from a goal and an assist that was the game winner in overtime giving him a +2 for the game. Great production from that line and is what we're suppose to see on his acquisition. Keep it up. I can eat crow all the way to the finals.

Hawks are having goalie issues with Crawford, more so than Sharks with Nemo. What is saving Crawford is their defense in front of him, imo. The key to beating the hawks is to separate him from his defense on breakaways or get into OT or SO, while keeping a tight defense. That recipe was spelled out loud and clear several times this year and in the last meet up with the Sharks.

I believe the Hawks would fall back to third in their division with a system of no loser points, i.e. just straight up wins/loses.

If the Sharks get healthy and stay tight (minimize mistakes), then they can beat most Pacific conference teams in the playoffs. The likely exception is the Ducks.

Why can't we beat the ducks?

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011

Havlat-Shepard-Wingels

Havlat and Sheppard both are F2s and shouldn't be on the same line. Whoever is playing better at any given time should be with Marleau and Couture.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
They just couldn't find any quick chemistry. Thornton and Marleau both had issues bobbling pucks. Odd to see.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
They just couldn't find any quick chemistry. Thornton and Marleau both had issues bobbling pucks. Odd to see.

That is just marleaus usual game of bobbling pucks, then marleau just brought thornton down to his level because he was thinking god dang just give me a rookie atleast they can handle my greatness :D lol.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
That is just marleaus usual game of bobbling pucks, then marleau just brought thornton down to his level because he was thinking god dang just give me a rookie atleast they can handle my greatness :D lol.

They both play better when they play with rookies this year actually.

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
I agree with the comments about the overreaction. Remember, the last few weeks has seen a 3rd line which is actually a 4th line and a 4th line which is basically an AHL line. The defense has been fine. But the lack of offensive production has highlighted the real problem here. If we had a top goaltender we could have stole a few of those other games. Unfortunately, we're stuck with someone who basically has two moves - fall on his stomach or fall on his back - with no puckhandling skills and no ability to control rebounds. Smart shooters need only to wait for him to go down and either shoot high or between the legs Until this void is filled, the Sharks will not win a cup. Stalock is encouraging, but he needs to sustain this over a longer period of time to prove himself (playoffs?).

A side note. As much as I like Randy and Drew, I want to barf when I hear their myriad of excuses for why someone or something else other than this goaltender is responsible for goals against.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I agree with the comments about the overreaction. Remember, the last few weeks has seen a 3rd line which is actually a 4th line and a 4th line which is basically an AHL line. The defense has been fine. But the lack of offensive production has highlighted the real problem here. If we had a top goaltender we could have stole a few of those other games. Unfortunately, we're stuck with someone who basically has two moves - fall on his stomach or fall on his back - with no puckhandling skills and no ability to control rebounds. Smart shooters need only to wait for him to go down and either shoot high or between the legs Until this void is filled, the Sharks will not win a cup. Stalock is encouraging, but he needs to sustain this over a longer period of time to prove himself (playoffs?).

A side note. As much as I like Randy and Drew, I want to barf when I hear their myriad of excuses for why someone or something else other than this goaltender is responsible for goals against.

Also not putting blame on the 5 players in front of the goalie is just as bad. Let me guess you think the goal last night stalock let in was not the goalies fault right or do you honestly think stalock could have stopped that goal?

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
Last night's goal was not the best. But, overall Stalock has played much better than Niemi. He inspires much more confidence. With Niemi you just hold your breath and hope the puck just hits him - which it does a lot with his size and the size of goalie equipment these days. Truth is I could pull up 5 guys I knew who played goal in leagues where I played as a kid who were better than Niemi. Only one of them went to the NHL, a guy named Tom Barrasso. But you HAD to be great in those days. The equipment didn't do half the work for you.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Once teams fully figure out that stalock is a reactionary goalie he is going to be solved pretty quick and pretty hard.

Is stalocks style of play fixable? Maybe, but then again he might just can't figure out the better way of playing that uses less energy and makes life in net a whole lot easier.

Niemi's problems that he has this year, are fixable and easily fixable. Considering his only problem that has been with niemi his entire career has been his rebound control. The other issues like the 5hole and the bad reading of the point shots are all new issues that showed up this year.

I put my money on niemi figuring out his issues before stalock learns to chamge his entire style of play.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Once teams fully figure out that stalock is a reactionary goalie he is going to be solved pretty quick and pretty hard.

Is stalocks style of play fixable? Maybe, but then again he might just can't figure out the better way of playing that uses less energy and makes life in net a whole lot easier.

Niemi's problems that he has this year, are fixable and easily fixable. Considering his only problem that has been with niemi his entire career has been his rebound control. The other issues like the 5hole and the bad reading of the point shots are all new issues that showed up this year.

I put my money on niemi figuring out his issues before stalock learns to chamge his entire style of play.

Why would he have to change his style of play? The whole philosophy of Sharks goaltending coaching has always been to let the guy stop the puck the way he does it and refine the mechanics of his style and Wayne Thomas has been great.

Whether you meant it or not, it sounds like you think reactionary goalies don't have a place in the NHL. Stalock is a very active goaltender in the crease. He's got happy feet and that's not a bad thing. And as far as I can see, he just needs to calm down during scrambles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad