GDT: Game 58: Dallas Stars @ San Jose Sharks, 7:30pm

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
So Stalock is now 12 games away from being an UFA? Do those have to be starts or just games played? He'll probably end up 2 or 3 games shy but with the way Niemi has played, who knows.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So Stalock is now 12 games away from being an UFA? Do those have to be starts or just games played? He'll probably end up 2 or 3 games shy but with the way Niemi has played, who knows.

I think it's games where he plays more than 30 minutes. At this point, I'd give Stalock the Columbus game and then alternate the two coming out of the break and if the difference is still as substantial as it is right now, I'd run with Stalock.

Teamplaya

Aug 9, 2013
Pasadena, CA
Great work by Stal, Wingels, Marty, all those guys but Scott Hannan with the assists too! Great game, anyone see the hit by Brown?

Oppa

#
Oct 31, 2011
I hold no loyalty to Nemo. Play the hand that most likely leads to the cup-o.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Niemi will get a nice vacation in Russia. There is no way he will be playing in Sochi.

With Rask and Lehtonen, it's questionable how much practice time he will even get. He may be rusty by the time he gets back while Stalock should be practicing with the bulk of the team. I'd probably start Stalock coming out to allow practice time for Niemi and to adjust for the time difference.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how they handle the goalies in three weeks.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Just got home from the game.

Stalock is the real deal, would've had a shutout if it wasn't for Marleau's (who else?) soft coverage in the defensive zone. Marleau was clearly dragging down the first line and it's pretty obvious why he doesn't play on that line on a regular basis. Havlat was a pleasant surprise. So was Burish.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Just got home from the game.

Stalock is the real deal, would've had a shutout if it wasn't for Marleau's (who else?) soft coverage in the defensive zone. Marleau was clearly dragging down the first line and it's pretty obvious why he doesn't play on that line on a regular basis. Havlat was a pleasant surprise. So was Burish.

Pretty sure Marleau told Eve to eat the forbidden fruit too.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
With Rask and Lehtonen, it's questionable how much practice time he will even get. He may be rusty by the time he gets back while Stalock should be practicing with the bulk of the team. I'd probably start Stalock coming out to allow practice time for Niemi and to adjust for the time difference.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how they handle the goalies in three weeks.

Who knows..I'm sure the Sharks have a plan. The team needs the time off to rest and practice. This ragged stretch of games isn't due to lack of "effort" but they are tired. They looked good in the first and then the weariness set in. Same for Dallas.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks 2m
Havlat pointed to Hannan as key to #SJSharks 2-1 OT win: "He was making really great plays on both those goals.. . .He did it twice."

Hannan has been way better than probably any of us thought he would be. Very glad to have him back.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
12 up on LA. Only 7 behind ANA with a game in hand and we play them two more times... not bad considering some really horrendous games lately. Plus the hopeful re-addition of some serious skill to this lineup after the break. Sharks are in a pretty good spot all things considered. Would be nice to get this last one too though.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Seems like all Havlat can do is score those kinds of pretty goals now. Both plays were very....crisp is the word, I think.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Realistically, whilst the play has been pretty poor lately, we have been getting generally good results (8 out of 14 is pretty good if you ask me) given the injuries we've faced. During that time, the Kings, Canucks, and now Ducks have started to struggle.

We need to get the rest during the break, recover any niggling injuries, and then work on puck movement. We've really struggled with our puck control - passes going to players skates instead of their sticks, not settling pucks, a lot of fanning shots, etc. We fix this up and we will improve two areas that have been killing us - clearing the defensive zone, and then setting up good shot chances (we're putting a lot of shots, but not from/at good spots).

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Absolutely love the rant that Patrick Burke went on, and the finish was the best. :)

Patrick Burke ‏@BurkieYCP 2h
Thanks to everyone who took the time to remember Brendan today. We are all so proud to see how far his love has spread.

As to why we started @YouCanPlayTeam I never forgot an email Brendan got after he came out, from a young gay athlete.

He wrote, "I always loved sports, and I never felt sports loved me back." And Brendan told me that is how many LGBT youth feel.

And it was like the two halves of my life collided. My family and hockey suddenly were perceived by many to be in opposition.

And that's how YCP was born. I love my family. I love hockey more than anything except my family. And I'll be damned if those don't align.

So to those who support us, thank you. To those who support our mission but don't like me, I'm sorry. To those who oppose us, good luck.

We will fix this or die trying. And if I have to burn down my professional career, my personal life, and everything else to make it, I will.

And if you're opposed to us and think you can outwork, outthink, outfight, or outlast us, you don't know me at all.

Patrick Burke ‏@BurkieYCP 1h
I'm 30 years old. I will be working in hockey for another 40 years. Better dig your trench deep and get cozy, because I'm not leaving.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. I just miss my brother. And this is the only way I can think of to honor him. Thank you all for the support.

Tommy Wingels scoring at the end of that rant is so perfect. He was there for Brendan since day one.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Something I'd like to point out is that it seems like they were letting Stalock play the puck more. He was in a position a few times where he could've fed the rush and he actually did a couple times. So I think they're partially adapting the team strategy to let Stalock at least make that pass every once in a while.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Realistically, whilst the play has been pretty poor lately, we have been getting generally good results (8 out of 14 is pretty good if you ask me) given the injuries we've faced. During that time, the Kings, Canucks, and now Ducks have started to struggle.

We need to get the rest during the break, recover any niggling injuries, and then work on puck movement. We've really struggled with our puck control - passes going to players skates instead of their sticks, not settling pucks, a lot of fanning shots, etc. We fix this up and we will improve two areas that have been killing us - clearing the defensive zone, and then setting up good shot chances (we're putting a lot of shots, but not from/at good spots).

8 of 14? More like 4 of 12 in last 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad