GDT: Game #58: Coyotes @ Canadiens - 5:00pm (AZ) - Scripps, Coyotes Corner

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Problem might be that Free Agents are normally older and that means they might not be around long enough to move out of Mullett. That might make it harder to rebuild blueline quickly.
I believe BA will get one D in a trade. Still not enough mind you.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I believe BA will get one D in a trade. Still not enough mind you.
Overpaying Vets for the transition years is another option. An extra million for a solid vet nearing end of career could sway them. Especially a Vet that has already won.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Do players actually dislike playing at Mullett?
The bigger issue is being moved to a new city with no input or notice.
No one here seems to acknowledge it but articles appear fairly regularly and PA ED has told it many times. Guys don't want to be the butt of jokes and the College rink gives ammo. However money changes everything

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
It’s been said that coyotes players don’t mind it. They could be just paying lip service. Apparently there’s some players on other teams that dislike it, which according to the media we should give a shit about for some reason.

I think it’s less the arena itself than it makes our players susceptible to chirps that you can’t really do anything about. Like we suck and that’s bad on its own, but we’re also playing here?? Yeah it wouldn’t surprise me if players felt a little demoralized by the chirps

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Is Utah building an NHL suitable anytime soon? No? Then they’d be starting out just how the coyotes did when they first moved to AZ, which as we all know has worked out wonderfully.
winter Olympics there in 2 yrs i think

I had no idea that when I cheered from my arena seat when Malkin scored for us in our last win that the curse was being put into place.
the unearned goal curse.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

I think the instability would be a bigger issue than Mullett, but I also think both issues are going to have a negative impact on free agency.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This is the 3rd season and it’s not even over yet.

We finally agree on something. This streak is intolerable. They should’ve shaken up the roster and sent a message.
If I take over a business, and I have done it a number of times, the day I start is day one of my tenure. BA took over in September of 2020, before the start of the the 2020/2021 season. This is the teams 4th full season while he is GM. You don't get to say, hey lets not count the first year, thats like taking mulligans in a golf tournament.

Year 4 isn't over yet, sure, but what could we possibly learn the rest of the way? We know the team is in a 13 game losing streak even though BA is a great GM, Bear is a great coach, we have a great culture, we have great work ethic, veteran leadership is great, we have great young players, the team is improving, its all greatness except for our 73 point pace.

This wasn't the plan BA laid out to ownership, he didn't say, hey in the 4th season the team plays after you make me GM, we will be doing so well that we will be within 25 points of a playoff spot by the end of the year.

This rebuild which is taking too long already because BA squandered away year 1, not his fault though really, he isn't experienced at tear downs. I give it a 50/50 shot of working long term. I see overall some good signs (we have young talented wingers), but I see overall bad signs as well (no 1D/1C/2D in sight, except maybe Cooley in 3 or 4 years as a 1C).

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
If I take over a business, and I have done it a number of times, the day I start is day one of my tenure. BA took over in September of 2020, before the start of the the 2020/2021 season. This is the teams 4th full season while he is GM. You don't get to say, hey lets not count the first year, thats like taking mulligans in a golf tournament.

Year 4 isn't over yet, sure, but what could we possibly learn the rest of the way? We know the team is in a 13 game losing streak even though BA is a great GM, Bear is a great coach, we have a great culture, we have great work ethic, veteran leadership is great, we have great young players, the team is improving, its all greatness except for our 73 point pace.

This wasn't the plan BA laid out to ownership, he didn't say, hey in the 4th season the team plays after you make me GM, we will be doing so well that we will be within 25 points of a playoff spot by the end of the year.

This rebuild which is taking too long already because BA squandered away year 1, not his fault though really, he isn't experienced at tear downs. I give it a 50/50 shot of working long term. I see overall some good signs (we have young talented wingers), but I see overall bad signs as well (no 1D/1C/2D in sight, except maybe Cooley in 3 or 4 years as a 1C).
If he could not participate in the draft he did not yet take over the business.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
If I remember correctly the Coyotes first pick was in round 4 so he didn't exactly miss out on much.
It was indeed the 4th round and it was a colossal, we don't know what we are doing, blunder of a ridiculously, stupid, pick that they then colossally, blundered by renouncing the pick days after making the pick (if you are going to make the stupid pick you better have the courage to stand by the stupid pick) so really their first pick was the 5th round. They made a 5th, 6th, and 2 7th round picks and to date those 4 players have have a total of 2 nhl games. 2 gp out of a whole draft year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If I take over a business, and I have done it a number of times, the day I start is day one of my tenure. BA took over in September of 2020, before the start of the the 2020/2021 season. This is the teams 4th full season while he is GM. You don't get to say, hey let’s not count the first year, thats like taking mulligans in a golf tournament.
I have no idea what you are saying. Do you honestly think people are forgetting when he was hired? The word was REBUILD - we are approaching the end of the 3rd season of the REBUILD. I’m honestly not sure what you think that word means.
This wasn't the plan BA laid out to ownership,
It 100% is. And it’s a great plan and it’s going well and it’s ahead of schedule.
I see overall some good signs (we have young talented wingers), but I see overall bad signs as well (no 1D/1C/2D in sight, except maybe Cooley in 3 or 4 years as a 1C).
Let me get this straight; you believe that you get a 1D, 1C and 2D in three years of rebuilding?

You aren’t dealing in reality. Or anywhere near it. It’s fantasy. No rebuild has ever looked anything like this dream of yours. And you’re using this as your measuring stick to evaluate BA’s performance?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is Utah building an NHL suitable anytime soon? No? Then they’d be starting out just how the coyotes did when they first moved to AZ, which as we all know has worked out wonderfully.
Utah is not a relocation option. They’re an expansion option. This is a big reason why.

Fans freak out and shriek “why hasn’t the nhl relocated the coyotes already!?!?!” and the answer is so simple. There hasn’t been anywhere to move them to since the Thrashers went to Winnipeg.

The NHL wants to expand. And they want to expand into markets that are actually ready for expansion.

The NHL arena situation in Utah is worse than it is in Arizona. Mullett is already functioning as an nhl arena. Nothing in Utah is even close. All of the options Meruelo is looking at are so much closer to reality than Utah’s dreams of Olympic arenas in a decade.

Utah will get a team ina few years when they are closer to being ready. Smith has several years of serious work ahead of him to get close. Look at what it took in Seattle. You don’t do that overnight. You can’t. And rushing is dooming. It would be stupid and short sighted.

Reactions: DustyDangler

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I have no idea what you are saying. Do you honestly think people are forgetting when he was hired? The word was REBUILD - we are approaching the end of the 3rd season of the REBUILD. I’m honestly not sure what you think that word means.

It 100% is. And it’s a great plan and it’s going well and it’s ahead of schedule.

Let me get this straight; you believe that you get a 1D, 1C and 2D in three years of rebuilding?

You aren’t dealing in reality. Or anywhere near it. It’s fantasy. No rebuild has ever looked anything like this dream of yours. And you’re using this as your measuring stick to evaluate BA’s performance?
I guess you are saying when BA started he didn't know if the club needed to be rebuilt, that is scary if he thought that and it took him a year to figure out what we had and what to do, and then decided to rebuild. In business, you don't get 1 year to make changes or figure it out. I think you were one of the guys saying we need to rebuild when BA took over.

This plan is not ahead of schedule, your kidding right? We are on a 73 point pace. Would you have said after BA took over that in his 4th season as GM being at 73 points would have been ahead of schedule?

I deal in reality not fantasy, and fantasy is feeling good about the results so far and the 0-13 record at this stage of the "rebuild" at this time of the season. What if we finish with 67 points, we still all good, ahead of schedule?

Reactions: Mangosteen

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I guess you are saying when BA started he didn't know if the club needed to be rebuilt, that is scary if he thought that and it took him a year to figure out what we had and what to do, and then decided to rebuild. In business, you don't get 1 year to make changes or figure it out. I think you were one of the guys saying we need to rebuild when BA took over.
BA didn’t immediately start the rebuild when he took over because we didn’t have a 1st round pick at the time. No point in tanking if you don’t have a pick. It’s really as simple as that. He had no choice but to try to push for playoffs cuz it was a finished veteran roster that had no other choice.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Do people seriously expect rebuilding through the draft to be faster than this? The first wave of players are barely getting their feet wet in the NHL. (Guenther). Moser is the only drafted player right now who’s actually contributing, but even he has much more room to grow. He was also an overager. Hell the third wave of players are only 18 years old. But yes, we should have 1C’s and 1D’s at this point already, and be competing for the playoffs.

Last edited:

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
BA didn’t immediately start the rebuild when he took over because we didn’t have a 1st round pick at the time. No point in tanking if you don’t have a pick.
You could of started sell players for contracts, get our first back, trade for other 1sts, trade for seconds, bought fancy suits a year earlier. He decided to do nothing but that's his choice and part of his rebuild. The rebuild starts once management starts the strategy not after the first trade.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Overpaying Vets for the transition years is another option. An extra million for a solid vet nearing end of career could sway them. Especially a Vet that has already won.
I think it's time to get vets for the long term, not transition, especially if we have to overpay which I hate. The one's for transition are most of the time washed up. , which we have seen over the last two years. That's why I suggested a trade. I would hope we now have enough leadership and character on this team to bring in more kids and let them transition to NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

This plan is not ahead of schedule, your kidding right? We are on a 73 point pace. Would you have said after BA took over that in his 4th season as GM being at 73 points would have been ahead of schedule?

I deal in reality not fantasy, and fantasy is feeling good about the results so far and the 0-13 record at this stage of the "rebuild" at this time of the season. What if we finish with 67 points, we still all good, ahead of schedule?
BA stated that Armstrong from St. Louis told him to take his time and evaluate the situation before making decisions. A sports franchise is not like every other business, totally different. The one thing I would have done day one was fire RT and then see what a new coach could do with the players.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Do people seriously expect rebuilding through the draft to be faster than this? The first wave of players are barely getting their feet wet in the NHL. (Guenther). Moser is the only drafted player right now who’s actually contributing, but even he has much more room to grow. He was also an overager. Hell the third wave of players are only 18 years old. But yes, we should have 1C’s and 1D’s at this point already, and be competing for the playoffs.
You build thru the draft AND trades. We still had kids in the pipeline that Chayka drafted. Mind you, if Hayton and Soderstrom were any kind of player would have helped as well, and that is not BA's fault. Let's not forget Bunting who was never given a shot and was lost, not getting a NHL player in the Chych trade hurt as well. BA could come out of this smelling like a rose, or not. Nothing is guaranteed in a rebuild. We have no choice but to go along with what BA is doing, but in my opinion if we don't hit the 80pt. mark this year would be a disappointment. Some say we could be worse next year. IF that happens, but I don't think it will, there will be questions asked.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
You build thru the draft AND trades. We still had kids in the pipeline that Chayka drafted. Mind you, if Hayton and Soderstrom were any kind of player would have helped as well, and that is not BA's fault. Let's not forget Bunting who was never given a shot and was lost, not getting a NHL player in the Chych trade hurt as well. BA could come out of this smelling like a rose, or not. Nothing is guaranteed in a rebuild. We have no choice but to go along with what BA is doing, but in my opinion if we don't hit the 80pt. mark this year would be a disappointment. Some say we could be worse next year. IF that happens, but I don't think it will, there will be questions asked.
I agree that you also build through trades. And usually those come after you establish a good prospect pool and a good young core. Go back and look at all the trades Armstrong has made. He has traded off players from previous managements team for draft picks. The only player he has acquired through trade is Durzi. Again, he’s building through the draft right now. All anything anyone that claims he is failing is doing is just disagreeing with his style of a rebuild. Would I have preferred he acquired some young players or prospects in some of the sell off? Yes I would have. A giant pool of picks isn’t all that impressive to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad