GDT: Game 57: Stars @ Coyotes - 2/18/16 - 7PM

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That was a really fun game to attend. Was very happy to see Gaudet get his first goal. He's impressed me in a limited sample size so far - he does Gordon's job but with more speed and agility.

I'll tell you something - when Domi and Duclair are given free rein to run-and-gun the way they want to, they are frighteningly good. And Hanzal is the perfect pivot for those guys right now - he's got the size and tenacity to shelter the puck until the Killer Ds are in position. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think we finally have a legit first line.

The way Domingue is playing makes me all the more nervous for when Smith goes back in the net. I like having a goalie who's reliable and Louie feels reliable to me even with his rookie mistakes.

How Boedker can still be asking for $6M/year is beyond me.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
That's Richardson's job.

He'd a be a great option as the first call-up, once Hanzal inevitably misses time next year. If Dvorak makes the roster, we can start him in at wing, an gradually shift him to center to ease his transition.

Then again he does seem to have a strong two-way game, so once he makes the roster, he may be ready to play center from the get go. That being said, 2 rookie centers in your top-9 might end up being a little rough at times.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Unless we trade Hanzal in the off-season. His value is at its highest between now and the draft, given his contract.

How comfortable are we entering next season with Strome, Vermette, Richardson, Gaudet?

That's not really any worse than Hanzal, Vermette, Richardson, Gordon.

Then, in 2017-18, move Dvorak from the wing and go with Strome, Dvorak, Richardson, Gaudet.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Keep Hanzal. When he isn't around this team is significantly poorer for it. I know he is guaranteed to miss a chunk of games each season, but I'm okay with him missing that chunk. I'm not okay with him being gone entirely. His tenacity, skill set, and size are something we will likely never find again for this team.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It really depends on what sort of contract extension we're looking at for Hanzal. A big money and long term contract doesn't bode well with his injury history.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Retroactive defense of the indefensible. Gives credit to Tippett for purposefully sandbagging his own lineup for 55ish games, plus credit when he puts them together. That's how you arrive at the conclusion he is infallible.

Oh, baloney. If they only play with each other, from the time they hit the NHL, they will be so used to just where the other will be on the ice that when matched with another linemate they will have problems.

As an aside,Tippet remarked last night that this was the first game that he put the 2 rookes against a top line, in this case Benn and Seguin's line. He said that they did well. He is bringing them along at a nice pace. Next year they will be the #1 line.

Your Tippet hate is not rooted in reality.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I thought Tyler Gaudet had a really solid game last night, and I'm not even talking about the goal. We may have the Boyd Gordon replacement on our hands here.

Hanzal-Strome-Vermette-Gaudet down the middle next year?

Is Dvorak a center?

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Hanzalty* has been great for Domi and Duke, would like to keep him around.

*Credit this name to BeSeeingYouSeattle

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He is, but breaking in two rookie centers (he and Strome) in the same year may be asking too much.

We have 4 rookie forwards, a rookie D, and a rookie goalie starting in net. Breaking in 2 forwards would seem to be child's play compared to this.:laugh:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
:laugh: Save that for the next time you guys wanna tank....

What do you mean next time? I want to tank right now.

That being said, I enjoy watching us win now, because we have a young team with great players that are learning how to win and are blossoming right in front of us.

Compare that to last year, when Moss, Gagner, Arcobello, and a bunch of has beens, who had no future here, had Dave Tippett trap our way right out of McEichel and into the third pick. A situation which was, and still is absolutely infuriating.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Compare that to last year, when Moss, Gagner, Arcobello, and a bunch of has beens, who had no future here, had Dave Tippett trap our way right out of McEichel and into the third pick. A situation which was, and still is absolutely infuriating.

Without Moss, Gagner, Arcobello, and that bunch of has beens, we'd never have been in range of Strome, much less McEichel. We'd have picked 4th, 5th, 6th. Blame the NHL for the lack of a "frequent drafters" rule in the lottery and the Sabres for being way more experienced at tanking than we were.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Without Moss, Gagner, Arcobello, and that bunch of has beens, we'd never have been in range of Strome, much less McEichel. We'd have picked 4th, 5th, 6th. Blame the NHL for the lack of a "frequent drafters" rule in the lottery and the Sabres for being way more experienced at tanking than we were.

Arcobello and Gagner scored like 4 overtime goals, and a bunch of game tying goals down the stretch. Any way you slice it, my jimmies were obliterated.

Then of course, there was Dave Moss' Last Stand, where he got the game tying goal against Detroit one game, then scored 2 goals in a 1 goal win against BUFFALO of all ****ing teams in the league, the very next game.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Arcobello and Gagner scored like 4 overtime goals, and a bunch of game tying goals down the stretch. Any way you slice it, my jimmies were obliterated.

Then of course, there was Dave Moss' Last Stand, where he got the game tying goal against Detroit one game, then scored 2 goals in a 1 goal win against BUFFALO of all ****ing teams in the league, the very next game.

Dave "The Machine Gun" Moss :biglaugh:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
What do you mean next time? I want to tank right now.

That being said, I enjoy watching us win now, because we have a young team with great players that are learning how to win and are blossoming right in front of us.

:laugh: Yeah, wow, that lineup was baaad... but...

Courtesy of DM, you tank guys got *exactly* what you wanted last year (a 4-23-1 finish is an impressive tank job by *any* measure), and got *exactly* what you deserved for wanting it. And I'll never change my opinion that the guy you should be mad at is OEL, not Dave Moss. If anyone cost us 30th instead of 29th, OEL's your guy.

But I know, I know... "I JUST HATE DAVE MOSS!11!!"

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
:laugh: Yeah, wow, that lineup was baaad... but...

Courtesy of DM, you tank guys got *exactly* what you wanted last year (a 4-23-1 finish is an impressive tank job by *any* measure), and got *exactly* what you deserved for wanting it. And I'll never change my opinion that the guy you should be mad at is OEL, not Dave Moss. If anyone cost us 30th instead of 29th, OEL's your guy.

But I know, I know... "I JUST HATE DAVE MOSS!11!!"

It was a masterful performance of tanking.

Watching OEL grow as a player and take over games wasn't frustrating, because he's a big part of the future, so watching him play great and grow as a player is a treat. Same with Domi and Duclair now.

But watching a corpse like Moss play horrible, lazy, and disinterested all year, only to turn on the jets for the two most important games we needed to lose, was beyond frustrating.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think that you got the syntax wrong. Dave "They *** me" Moss? Who's "they?:laugh:

If you're old enough to remember the XFL, it's the same concept as this:

xflhateme-e1442542430385.jpg

Anyway, if you use correct syntax, it ruins the pun. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad