GDT: GAME 57 | Senators @ Predators | Amnesia Edition | Tue Feb 27 8PM | TSN5, RDS2

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Missed the game tonight but doesn't look pretty. Outshot 19 - 0 in the 3rd? Was Nash that good, or was the team rattled with the Norris injury? We may need to look at a 1/3 Norris buyout this summer if this is another shoulder issue
Gord certainly could have wrapped things up quickly by asking: "Safe to say you guys packed up and headed for the airport after the 2nd period?" I'm thinking they may have even skipped Tootsies they were so dejected looking. Cannot confirm that one however.....

Kidding aside I'd say they were gassed completely from the back to backs and constantly trailing and playing a catch up style the last few. Yes, probably also thinking about Norris injury which looks like more bad news. Late first and middle frame of the game Sens were battling a bit and had a few good looks but no dice.

There were no signs of life, only death in the 3rd period. The shots definitely say it all. To their credit NSH essentially built a wall between the 2 bluelines (aggressive 1-2-2) which Sens had zero interest in tryiing to get thru. Very unpleasant to watch.

In addition to the Norris injury here are the infirmary patients to keep an eye on: Stutzle miss-timed a hit and went ribs first into the dasher board. He played after so probably just winded but still looked like it hurt. Chabot whacked his arm or twisted it somehow falling into the boards and I think eventually left. Sanderson also blocked or accidently got hit with a shot and he was hurting too. Very rough overall night in Smashville.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Selected by Seattle in expansion draft, from the Senators unprotected list
You mentioned so they should have exposed Gustavsson & I responded that they traded him so they clearly didn't have enough faith to keep him. It was clearly a tough decision & they had to expose one or the other & they did not protect either Forsberg or Murray, that expansion draft hurt them goaltending wise.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
With Stutzle having his issues, this Team doesn't have the high-end talent to be a top tier Team in this league.

I think the ceiling for this team with this current core, is Wildcard spots, with 2nd round exits

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Pretty wild to watch the team fold. I guess the goaltending, losing Norris and some poor defensive play was just too much.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Rebuilds are highly unpredictable but the most important position that needs to be a strength is goaltending. Take Detroit for example, before Lyon arrived the Wings were on a path to miss the playoffs since Lyon got there they turned things around and will probably make the playoffs. Look at Buffalo they're a lot like us pretty good team but not goaltending they will miss the playoff for the 13th consecutive season.

Reactions: Jakey53

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
mr-bean.gif

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hadn't seen this in a while and I forgot how bad their protection list was.

Logan Brown - traded a few months later for Zach Sanford
Colin White - Bought out at the end of the following season
Victor Mete - Went unqualified at the end of the following season
Nikita Zaitsev - They had to cough up a 2nd and 4th to dump him 18 months later
Filip Gustavsson - Traded for Cam Talbot

Crazy that they protected that much garbage and couldn't figure out a way to add anything from another team.
To be fair, you have to protect somebody, so it's more about who we left exposed than who we protected, but there's still some doozies there.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I hadn't seen this in a while and I forgot how bad their protection list was.

Logan Brown - traded a few months later for Zach Sanford
Colin White - Bought out at the end of the following season
Victor Mete - Went unqualified at the end of the following season
Nikita Zaitsev - They had to cough up a 2nd and 4th to dump him 18 months later
Filip Gustavsson - Traded for Cam Talbot

Crazy that they protected that much garbage and couldn't figure out a way to add anything from another team.
Were we forced to protect Zaitsev, did he have some trade protection or something?

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
it would be 3 injuries on the same shoulder while he was with the Sens ... 1st time he opted not to get surgery, the 2nd time he got surgery.
He did have a shoulder injury from the WJC and while he was with Michigan...missing half the season.. Not sure if that was the same shoulder but I think he got surgery on it. That would make 4 shoulder injuries ..3 on the same one for sure , could be 4. Find that on google lol.

Looked it up.. Same shoulder that's 4. How are they with bionics these days.
Thanks SoA... much appreciated!

The only saving grace here is that the "6 Million Dollar Man" is a reality, doable for these highly paid thoroughbreds... Teams will invest lots in getting them back given how much they are paid. At some point though, depending on prognosis from these same highly paid expert docs, the team might not want to throw more money at it.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
With Stutzle having his issues, this Team doesn't have the high-end talent to be a top tier Team in this league.

I think the ceiling for this team with this current core, is Wildcard spots, with 2nd round exits

this team really only looks great when Stutzle is cooking. otherwise you're right there is little high end playmaking skill. even scarier is that Giroux career is winding down and he is our only other playmaker.

maybe demidov would be a fit at the draft if not celebrini.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
How does a new owner who spent a billion dollars just come in here and start buying out 10 month old contracts at over 5 million per for a number of years? As fans its easy to suggest these things, but man, that is a crap load of money for a new business owner. I suppose part of the blame can go to the new ownership group for allowing Dorion and the old group to have free reigns and make the moves this past summer. I would have thought as a new owner coming in they would have put a moratorium and block all future moves until the keys are turned over. Many deals are constructed this way until full ownership transfer is completed. Maybe Andlauer and group will have to take this buyout of Korpisalo as a severe cost of doing business and a mistake on their part of tightening the leash on Dorion.
If they see him as something that is actually hurting the team and carrying negative value to even be in the lineup were he paid 800k, like Korpisalo has, I think they'll do what they have to do, since they know winning is ultimately what sells.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Pretty wild to watch the team fold. I guess the goaltending, losing Norris and some poor defensive play was just too much.
First time we’ve truly played like we did in the third in months. It’s fine.

If korpisalo plays well for like 13-24 games in a row and then has a stinker I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt there too

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
How would they have had control exactly?... They didn't own the team...... Also if they are spending to the cap then the hit isn't big at all as they only have so much room to spend. They also only have to buy out 1/3rd if they do it now. It's not a severe cost at all and again how on earth would they have had any leash?...... I actually can't believe someone is blaming the new ownership haha. WILD!
If the discussion is about Korpisalo (not sure) he is 29 years old. The buyout rule is 2/3 for players over 26 yo. The team is able to double the remaining term.

So for Korpisalo the team can pay half the buyout amount each year. If done in the summer then it would be 5 million remaining for 4 years which works out to
(5 million @ 2/3 = $3,330,000) x.5 per year = $1,665,000 for 8 years)... I believe that is correct numbers.

Edit... if it was about Josh Norris, he's 24 yo, so you are correct... it would be 1/3 with the same paid half of buyout over double remaining term rule.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Were we forced to protect Zaitsev, did he have some trade protection or something?
Ya I think we had to protect Zaitsev because he had trade protection.

Same type of thing happened in the prior draft. We had to protect Phaneuf and lost Methot

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
How would they have had control exactly?... They didn't own the team...... Also if they are spending to the cap then the hit isn't big at all as they only have so much room to spend. They also only have to buy out 1/3rd if they do it now. It's not a severe cost at all and again how on earth would they have had any leash?...... I actually can't believe someone is blaming the new ownership haha. WILD!
So, in our business, when we are closing in on an acquisition, we have a voice with the current ownership in regards of what to continue with for contracts. Do we want to assume, add etc. The closing is still 120 days away, but we are consulted “unofficially “ by the owners. I am simply wondering how the Andlauer group did not have a say. Thats hard to believe, especially when they have entered in an official agreement, they have gone through multiple deposits and are waiting for the closing date to approach which is always lawyer dependent. As someone in business, I know this always takes place. So I am willing to bet that if they were not advised of such moves, it truly is unbelievable. But Bert, I had no idea that the buyout now would only be 1/3. That’s a really enticing bullet take.

Reactions: Relapsing

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They also only have to buy out 1/3rd if they do it now. It's not a severe cost at all and again how on earth would they have had any leash?...... I actually can't believe someone is blaming the new ownership haha. WILD!
he’s too old for 1/3, it’s 2/3 of 16 million over 8 years.

Reactions: bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They chose to protect him.

Zaitsev has a limited NTC. The only players that teams were forced to protect were those with NMC's.
They went 7-3-1 and chose to protect Zaitsev over Josh Brown. I doubt Seattle takes him but given their contracts I question why they didn't protect Brown. Quite the list of protected players . Zaitsev had no protection re expansion.

Protected list​

Forwards

Drake Batherson, Connor Brown, Logan Brown, Nick Paul, Brady Tkachuk, Auston Watson, Colin White.

Defence

Thomas Chabot, Victor Mete, Nikita Zaitsev.

Goaltender

Filip Gustavson.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
They went 7-3-1 and chose to protect Zaitsev over Josh Brown. I doubt Seattle takes him but given their contracts I question why they didn't protect Brown. Quite the list of protected players . Zaitsev had no protection re expansion.

Protected list​

Forwards

Drake Batherson, Connor Brown, Logan Brown, Nick Paul, Brady Tkachuk, Auston Watson, Colin White.

Defence

Thomas Chabot, Victor Mete, Nikita Zaitsev.

Goaltender

Filip Gustavson.

Was a big missed opportunity to not take advantage of our protection spots by acquiring players from good teams who couldn't be protected.

Yet another feather in the cap of one of the worst GMs in the league's history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad