GDT: Game #57 | Penguins vs. Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The odd thing about players needing "rest" is that these are finely tuned athletes, mostly in their 20's, some in their early 30's. It is unclear to me how letting them sit in the press box for one game every now and then constitutes "rest".

How many of them are playing through bumps and bruises, and timely made rests where there is a couple day lawl between games can do a lot of good for those players. Guys like Horny who always plays a hardnose game makes sense. There will be a time where they are playing every other day + both days on the weekend (first 2 weeks of March) until they get a 2 day lawl in action.

They have the TDL off for a couple days and the grind starts for like 2-1/2 weeks before the next 2 day reprieve.

Timing will be essential.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I wouldn't question Sully but what's the reasoning behind rotating starts like this you think?

At some point he'll need to try to ride one of them right? You can't rotation every game in playoffs.

fully expecting Murray to get the PO start given past history and experience, with Jarry coming in if he’s not playing well or being outplayed by the opposing goalie or if we’re losing games..

Reactions: EightyOne

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
How many of them are playing through bumps and bruises, and timely made rests where there is a couple day lawl between games can do a lot of good for those players. Guys like Horny who always plays a hardnose game makes sense. There will be a time where they are playing every other day + both days on the weekend (first 2 weeks of March) until they get a 2 day lawl in action.

They have the TDL off for a couple days and the grind starts for like 2-1/2 weeks before the next 2 day reprieve.

Timing will be essential.

Rust has been playing nicked...if there’s a chance to give him a game when Bjug returns, I’d do it...

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
why dont we play Jarry more? Hes earned the starter job imo

Jarry still has played more games in 2020. It’s now the most he’s played in the NHL. Both playing well so share the wealth.

The goalie schedule is made in advanced and only adjusted if form/injury dictates.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
fully expecting Murray to get the PO start given past history and experience, with Jarry coming in if he’s not playing well or being outplayed by the opposing goalie or if we’re losing games..
if neither has separated himself from the other by then, it will be a really interesting situation. If we climb above the Caps to win the division while rotating goalies, is there a chance we just keep doing it in the playoffs? It seems unheard of, but if it keeps working why not?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Okay. But it's really just not something NHL teams do mid-season. Especially against tough opponents.
HC's do do it, it's not something that stands out because of some of the injuries and maintenance days get intertwined. Not easily noticed or overlooked.

Injury><Maintenance day

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
if neither has separated himself from the other by then, it will be a really interesting situation. If we climb above the Caps to win the division while rotating goalies, is there a chance we just keep doing it in the playoffs? It seems unheard of, but if it keeps working why not?

I’m not opposed to it...I just don’t think it’ll happen...just think Sully will give MM the benefit of the doubt

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
HC's do do it, it's not something that stands out because of some of the injuries and maintenance days get intertwined. Not easily noticed or overlooked.

Injury><Maintenance day
if its something like Rust playing banged up, I could see it. I don't think it'll happen just to rest anybody who is otherwise healthy.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think they look at records and #s against the particular team we’re playing...I should note Jarry played extremely well in our one win against Toronto earlier in the season and I would expect him to get at least one of the home and home series games...

I'm not sure about that.

Look at the Montreal game, Murray played well against the Habs this year, Jarry had one of his worst games against the Habs earlier in the year, Sully ended up going with Jarry last start.

I think the main priority is playing both goalies about the same number of games.

This is the Pens 7th game since the break, each had 3 starts going into today's game.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
The odd thing about players needing "rest" is that these are finely tuned athletes, mostly in their 20's, some in their early 30's. It is unclear to me how letting them sit in the press box for one game every now and then constitutes "rest".

Sports in general, the more high level you are or elite the more recovery is a huge deal. Hell even intermediate level and on recovery is important to monitor. The more you can recover from all the fatigue you’ve accumulated the higher your peak performance will be. That’s why a lot of high level athletes are on PEDs, they need faster recovery, especially when they are paid to use their bodies.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009

Definitely don't disagree, I guess my question was when does he ride Murray more going into PO? Like the last week or 2?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Why not give Jarry the POs ? He has heyer numbers and i don't buy the "playoff experience" angle. How much experience did Murray have when he won his 1st cup?

Also. The decision of who to keep should be easy if nothing else on the difference in salary they will command. So why not go with Jarry since it should be his team moving forward after the season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why not give Jarry the POs ? He has heyer numbers and i don't buy the "playoff experience" angle. How much experience did Murray have when he won his 1st cup?

Also. The decision of who to keep should be easy if nothing else on the difference in salary they will command. So why not go with Jarry since it should be his team moving forward after the season.

Because it is easier to turn to Jarry as a back up then Murray.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

The playoffs don’t start for 2 months...

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I'm lost at this goalie utilization. It's as if Jarry has to post shutout after shutout to get continuous starts. I think starting Murray against Detroit throws the theory that Jarry was going to get the softer teams out the window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad