GDT: Game 56: Sharks @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Starting to agree with hinterland... McGinn is a waste of time.

A waste of cap mainly. His contract is gonna be a huge problem going forward...nobody is gonna want an AHL player for 3,33 million. Even if you generously see him as a 4th liner, it's still way too much.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Man I'd love to see Domi playing with Duclair and Strome right now developing some chemistry while we're playing for nothing.

Duclair deserves to be in the AHL and Strome is probably another year away from joining the Coyotes. Still excited about the player but from what I saw until now I'd say that he'll need a full AHL season.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Been a while since I've seen Smith let in this many soft goals. Not gonna bash on him because he's been our MVP so far this year.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
He's not. I've never been more wrong about a Coyote player since maybe Ladislav Nagy.

My main memory of Nagy is being at a game back at AWA where we had a 5 on 3, and he held the puck on the half boards for literally 31 seconds. Of course, it didn't help that our other four skaters weren't moving.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't agree with either of those. This is the perfect season for development and gaining experience and chemistry for those guys.

Duclair deserved the demotion by playing terrible hockey. Since, he scored one goal and 7 assists in 11 games for Tucson. For a one way forward who doesn't provide much other than scoring this just isn't good enough. Say what you want, but it just doesn't make sense to call him up now. He needs to find his scoring touch.
Strome needs to grow into his body. Skating, mobility and coordination clearly far off. His positioning also wasn't close from being good enough. Bigger players need more time to develop. Especially Centers. Would be stupid to rush him. I'd still take Strome over Marner any day but I'm glad the Coyotes appear remain be patient...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Wow Tkachuk looks like a completely different person.

At least he's recognizeable. Craig Janney I would never have recognized. Teppo, Garts, Dally, and Kinger haven't changed much. Ronning took me a second without the beard/scruff.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Duclair deserved the demotion by playing terrible hockey. Since, he scored one goal and 7 assists in 11 games for Tucson. For a one way forward who doesn't provide much other than scoring this just isn't good enough. Say what you want, but it just doesn't make sense to call him up now. He needs to find his scoring touch.
Strome needs to grow into his body. Skating, mobility and coordination clearly far off. His positioning also wasn't close from being good enough. Bigger players need more time to develop. Especially Centers. Would be stupid to rush him. I'd still take Strome over Marner any day but I'm glad the Coyotes appear remain be patient...

For a slow start 8 points in 11 games is not bad at all. Duclair does need to get stronger but he's still a better player now then Holland, McGinn, and Jooris. Agree that Strome isn't ready or atleast wasn't ready, but only because his skating. He actually has amazing positioning especially for his slow first step.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
For a slow start 8 points in 11 games is not bad at all. Duclair does need to get stronger but he's still a better player now then Holland, McGinn, and Jooris. Agree that Strome isn't ready or atleast wasn't ready, but only because his skating. He actually has amazing positioning especially for his slow first step.

I just think the best use of a season like this is to get NHL coaching and development to the guys at or close to ready for the NHL. Strome should be getting big minutes in every situation learning the NHL game from NHL coaches, training with NHL trainers, skating with NHL skating coaches and having his nutrition monitored by the best people the organization has, at the NHL level. I don't agree with the rushing BS. The guy is talented and smart. The same with Duclair. Give them on the job training when their mistakes mean nothing. Duclair already proved he's good enough for this league and Strome has shown enough that he's ready to learn and develop at the NHL level. Both are way better than some of the guys taking their spots. AND they'd be more fun to watch. Just my opinion of course.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I just think the best use of a season like this is to get NHL coaching and development to the guys at or close to ready for the NHL. Strome should be getting big minutes in every situation learning the NHL game from NHL coaches, training with NHL trainers, skating with NHL skating coaches and having his nutrition monitored by the best people the organization has, at the NHL level. I don't agree with the rushing BS. The guy is talented and smart. The same with Duclair. Give them on the job training when their mistakes mean nothing. Duclair already proved he's good enough for this league and Strome has shown enough that he's ready to learn and develop at the NHL level. Both are way better than some of the guys taking their spots. AND they'd be more fun to watch. Just my opinion of course.

If his AHL numbers improve, Duclair should be back with the Coyotes. I disagree about Strome. He's our most talented prospect but he really seems far off to me in many ways. Kid needs to grow into his body and gain confidence. Not worth wasting a year of his contract just to frustrate him.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This was a very soft game for the Coyotes. It wasn't just Smith. We're not going to win by scoring 1 goal against a back up. There were a ton of shots, but from the stands, only a few good scoring opportunities, and the best of them went by without a shot on goal.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Their mistakes do mean something and that is the problem. At the NHL level, you can't let players play through their mistakes. Duclair's 20 goals last year were enough to cover his sins all over the ice. This year he was not scoring and is not good enough for the NHL if he does not score. Strome was not good enough clearly at the start of the year. They both need to improve to play at the NHL level this year, next year, or any year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well I guess we were due for a game where we look better than the opposition and end up on the short end.

Somehow Jooris looks simultaneously good and bad :laugh:

And what's with all the offsides? They'd have had even more possession if not for the 4-5 times they went offside.

Like they say, you have to learn how to lose before you learn how to win. This was one of those games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad