Post-Game Talk: GAME 55 - The nightmare homestand continues - LAK 5 BRUINS 4 F/OT

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Really?

Bergy put up 58 pts last season in 78 games. Coyle projects to 64 points in 78 games

Krejci put up 56 pts in 70 games Zacha projects to 52 points in 70 games

Those are pretty similar numbers .

Niether Bergy nor Krejci were available to start the PO's. When they came back they were both more a problem than a solution.

Jakes's problems are Jake's problems, can't blame anyone else.
Really??

Now do goals against and FO%

Yes those two distribute the puck like Bergy and Krech cause they’re projected to have a couple more points :facepalm:

Jake has always been streaky and once you take him away from a chemistry line like last year this was bound to happen period. Then add the fact it’s a contract year not every player blow the doors off that year so I guess I’m one of the only poster not surprised by his struggles..

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I agree.

When they fell out of first I was somewhat happy or perhaps relieved. This is not a team with the makeup of a first place team absent incredible and potentially unsustainable goaltending and good fortune, IMO. I recall there were years in the mid 2010-2020 period (would have to look for details) where the squad sputtered and was even on the fringe of playoffs, did not look like a contender, but they were buyers in an ill fated and unrealistic attempt to contend with a couple costly tweaks.

I came into the season thinking this is a transitional year and hope the record doesn’t fool the FO into the same approach. Honestly? I’d be ok sending Jake, Griz, Forbort packing at the TDL, maybe packaging more of it meant gaining a bonfide prospect or recouping picks. And start really reconfiguring this squad. Don’t shoot me for having no specific targets or path forward, just thinking out loud at this point.
2015-16, Loui Eriksson was in the last year of his deal and playing well, team was a bubble playoff team at the deadline. They didn't move him and in fact added Stempniak and Liles and missed the playoffs anyway.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
feel the worst for those season tix holders and others who have had to endure this fugly homestand
As a STH don't feel too bad for me. Last season they were supposed to suck and had an excellent year. Yes...playoffs were disappointing, but we didn't have to pay for many.

This season they were (again) supposed to suck and until recently, have been very good.

I do feel bad for the "others" who don't get to go to many games and had the misfortune to be at the games of late.

I expect them to get out of this funk...soon I hope.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As a STH don't feel too bad for me. Last season they were supposed to suck and had an excellent year. Yes...playoffs were disappointing, but we didn't have to pay for many.

This season they were (again) supposed to suck and until recently, have been very good.

I do feel bad for the "others" who don't get to go to many games and had the misfortune to be at the games of late.

ok then, I no longer feel bad for you:)

I dunno, very disappointing stretch here but I have to give my head a shake and at the start of the year, I thought, if lucky, this team would be a Wild Card team if at all , then they exceed expectations and I suddenly lose all site of reality and that reality is, this is an ok team with warts and many of those warts aren`t likely to be cured come deadline day

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
ok then, I no longer feel bad for you:)

I dunno, very disappointing stretch here but I have to give my head a shake and at the start of the year, I thought, if lucky, this team would be a Wild Card team if at all , then they exceed expectations and I suddenly lose all site of reality and that reality is, this is an ok team with warts and many of those warts aren`t likely to be cured come deadline day
If they keep losing, you can then feel bad for us :)

I do expect Don S to make a move or two.

You just never know.

When can you vote for the 7th player?

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
feel the worst for those season tix holders and others who have had to endure this fugly homestand

I've thought it's been great hockey?

I dunno if a bunch of lame OT goals is that bad. This is minus 1-2 stinkers against bad teams.

Reactions: Ladyfan

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Really??

Now do goals against and FO%

Yes those two distribute the puck like Bergy and Krech cause they’re projected to have a couple more points :facepalm:

Jake has always been streaky and once you take him away from a chemistry line like last year this was bound to happen period. Then add the fact it’s a contract year not every player blow the doors off that year so I guess I’m one of the only poster not surprised by his struggles..
That's the fall back for the Coyle lovers, the points the points he's having a career best blah blah blah.

He's not a stiff that's for sure but he cant be a top two center on any team hoping to make a run in the playoffs. I will still stand tall and say they should be giving Freddy more opportunities to play with better players.

Try him with the first line what to lose?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Nobody is holding a gun to our heads to go,lol

Cant complain we have gotten our monies worth plenty. I personally don't go in that often I would rather stay home and aggravate everyone on the board, lol but my 4 kids will never miss regardless of they way they are playing.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
is that voted on by the fans? I’ve often wondered about that and if you can vote online for it or how it works?

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
is that voted on by the fans? I’ve often wondered about that and if you can vote online for it or how it works?
yes...by the fans

1708280697624.png

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
2015-16, Loui Eriksson was in the last year of his deal and playing well, team was a bubble playoff team at the deadline. They didn't move him and in fact added Stempniak and Liles and missed the playoffs anyway.
Exactly, great example. I’ve touted some of the TDL activities of this FO when I felt appropriate, like 2019. But yeah, 2016 was a reach and those moves have impacts down the line.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Exactly, great example. I’ve touted some of the TDL activities of this FO when I felt appropriate, like 2019. But yeah, 2016 was a reach and those moves have impacts down the line.
they didn't give up a lot, (2016 3rd&4th, 2017 2nd&5th) but there were some useful players available with those picks. We would miss out on the Stempniak jokes though

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Their system also has something to do with all the penalties! They let the other team walk into the O zone and set up before challenging , which with their inability to clear the zone or front of the net is a disaster waiting to happen if their goaltending is less than stellar! They have 2 legit top 4 D and 13 -6 or 7th D, 2 legit top 6 forwards, and 2 top goalies that some on here want traded. Add to all this the brutal passing, refusal to shoot or hit and this is what we have. What we see these last 10 games is what the actual level of play this team is. Without major changes we will not beat any team in the East in a series!

Yuuuuuuuuuup.

Florida killed us with their forecheck and forced turnovers in the playoffs.
A week ago Calgary made us look like a Bantam team with 2-3 guys going in.
Us? We do not forecheck at all. We retreat. We surrender 2/3rds of the ice.

I checked of who has been penalized the most in the last 10.......not us. Tampa was. Oddly enough though they have the most PP's as well🤔

We though are are 3rd in the last 10 years. 16th in PP for.
3rd for most penalties last 15 years.
5th, last 20.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle

I haven't been to a game in Boston since opening night vs. the Preds in 2017. I have to make a weekend out of it at the very least as Boston is roughly a 5 hour drive for me if I get lucky with the traffic. I haven't taken my kid to a game in Boston yet and I don't think I will make the trek again unless it's a family affair as the last time I was there it was for a mens weekend thing. Things did not work out this year schedule wise but I am thinking next year is going to be the year for us. I was even considering catching 2 games in 3 days if possible during a home stand, I would be so bummed if it was during a lull in their season.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Or is it that the 2 centers are not producing because Jake (and others) fails to convert the chances they give him...

Jake hasn't been on Coyles line for awhile now. But looked good with him.

Screenshot_20240218_204442_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240218_204458_Chrome.jpg

Then was taken off that line.

And has only been on Zacha/Pasta line for 2 games straight. Not a long period there. He had no points but looks good on there so I'm excited to see it go forward if Monty sticks with it.

Could you make a correlation? I guess. But I think thats unfair. But oh well.

When last year he was on the 1st powerplay instead of the 2nd. He made a lot of his goals that way. We could make an argument that him not being on the powerplay or getting enough pp minutes could be a cause. Who knows.

Someone out there can make or post that chart of ice time with certain players he's played with this year and how it has been high scoring chances compared to others.

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Or is it that the 2 centers are not producing because Jake (and others) fails to convert the chances they give him...
I very much enjoy discussion with other fans. Sometimes even Canadiens fans.

You touched on an interesting point about Bruins wingers not cashing in on chances given them by their centers. I believe there is something to that for sure. However, I am of the opinion that the while Charlie Coyle is having a very good season, the Bruins lack the superstar #1 center almost every team needs to really compete for the Cup.

It says on your info that you’ve been a Habs fan since 1958. If you don’t mind, may I PM you? There are a few things I’d like to pick your brain about in addition to the Bruins’ centers.

Thank you.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad