Post-Game Talk: GAME 55 - The nightmare homestand continues - LAK 5 BRUINS 4 F/OT

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
And people get mad at Jake (who yes, he needs to produce), but having 2 centers who aren't producing either isn't helping.

People underestimate how valuable Bergy was to this team and organization.

Really?

Bergy put up 58 pts last season in 78 games. Coyle projects to 64 points in 78 games

Krejci put up 56 pts in 70 games Zacha projects to 52 points in 70 games

Those are pretty similar numbers .

Niether Bergy nor Krejci were available to start the PO's. When they came back they were both more a problem than a solution.

Jakes's problems are Jake's problems, can't blame anyone else.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I know they need to get more sandpaper, I can't deny that.That glaring top centre hole though hurts

Yes, but it's a "transitional year." It's okay with me if they don't make the playoffs, which they will.

All of this stuff must be addressed in the off-season, and I have no doubt Don Sweeney can land Hanifan or other decent fish.

What I doubt is his commitment to team toughness -- and I am as tired of using that phrase, along with the words "physicality," "intimidation" or phrases like "All for one, one for all," as the rest of you.

I keep banging on that drum like a dope in the wilderness, and I'm sick of doing so.

It's a drag, and I don't see things changing in a basic, structural way any time soon.

At most, too little, too late.

If you look at the record over nearly ten years, the results are clear. It's not AZ, Seattle, San Jose or CBJ. There's been a great deal of regular season success, for which management deserves credit.

What I know in my bones is that Sweeney does not value the qualities mentioned above. IF he did, that would be evident by now.

Logically, what you see is what you get, and I understand that this is a "bridge year."

I'm less perturbed that the 2023-2024 Boston Bruins are in transition and faltering -- so were the 2006 Bruins, recall that season was a disaster -- than I am in the direction of this club over the past ten years and going forward under "Sweens."

He's good at this. He's good at that.

Sad to say, he does not understand a] what most Bruins fans value, and b] what, ultimately, it takes to win it all.

Nothing will change as long as he remains.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Really?

Bergy put up 58 pts last season in 78 games. Coyle projects to 64 points in 78 games

Niether Bergy nor Krejci were available to start the PO's. When they came back they were both more a problem than a solution.

Where did I blame everyone else? Last year is over. The points we put up don't matter.

Projections are Projections. Until it happens we don't know what we got. Coyle and Zacha aren't #1 centers. We have to get into a rhythm and just go with what we have because nobody is coming to "save" us. This is a transitional year. We're in a slide right now. This team will see what they're made for in response to the skid. It can't just be on Pasta or Marchy.

Especially if Monty continues to run them out in the ice for too many minutes.

burgermeister37

Feb 17, 2024
I wish they would move Frederic up to play with Coyle and Marchand. Frederic has more finish in front than Heinen. Stars are coming in angry after their OT loss better be ready for puck drop.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I miss @TP 's "I'm scared" posts.

We know it. But does upper mgmt? Because Coyle and Zacha aren't #1's
Pass judgement NEXT YEAR. After going all in FOR BERGERON the cap meant this was it. Geekie was a long shot as was the rookie Poitras but what would you have had them do in this cap situation?

Just a change of scenery and something different might do them well is point.
It's possible. Road trips sometimes do that, but this is a veteran team. It shouldn't be necessary. They've all been there before.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Really?

This is a pretty myopic view on Bergeron's impact. There's a huge overall effect when your top center tilts the ice every time (Bergeron) compared to when he loses every matchup against top opponents (Coyle).

Reactions: Mione134

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Really?

Great post.

Bs need a center and to start weeding out players who are not contributing.

It is a contact year for Jake....he needs to start putting up some points.

I want to see hugs after tomorrow's game damn it.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Sometimes it's not how many points, but when a player gets them. Their "late and clutch" has suffered a lot as the season has worn on. Don't forget how many games their goaltender won for them while they were front running until the All Star break. The cracks of limited talent are finally showing.

It doesn't help that players that were being counted on, mainly Lindholm and Debrusk, have been pedestrian at best. Debrusk's inconsistency is well documented, but Lindholm has reverted to the later Anaheim, Lindholm. His offensive outburst, last year, was obviously a "blue moon". Without that his defensive coverage, when he stays on his feet, it high average at best. The offense he produced last year evened his performance out. For a guy his size, he sure gets pushed around.

Reactions: Gordoff and duffy

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Really?

Your math is a bit out. Zacha projects to 47 points through 70 games, not 52. Or 55 points for a full 82-game season, 39 at even strength based on current totals. That's still not bad, but it's not great either. If he were playing for Columbus then fine, that's not a problem. But for a proper contender, does that sound like it's going to cut it? Look too at where the production's occurring - sure he's had some good games against quality opponents, but he's had some shockers too. Yeah perhaps the raw numbers aren't miles away from Bergy and Krejci in their (relative) decline, but Pavel's got a long way to go to even hang on to the coat tails of those guys in terms of overall ability, especially in their prime.

I'm not anti-Zacha. He's a decent player. Put him back at wing and he'll most likely continue to do just fine. But a legit top 6 C? I'm just not seeing it. Neither did NJ.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Which speaks to exactly how lazy, avoidable and unnecessary most of their penalties are, since they are among the least aggressive teams in the league.

There's a stigma that's been around for a while between the NHL officiating and the Bruins.. ..I can check but I have a belief we never leave the Top 10 teams penalized likely in the last 10 years, if not the Top 5 at times.

" The Bruins get more penalties because they're the Bruins!!" It must be written somewheres in the NHL rulebook.

With the turnover of players, coaches and strategies in that time nothing has changed, we simply get more penalties plus we generally recieved less penalties.

Last edited:

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
There's a stigma that's been around for a while between the NHL officiating and the Bruins.. ..I can check but I have a belief we never leave the Top 10 teams penalized likely in the last 10 years, if not the Top 5 at times.

" The Bruins get more penalties because they're the Bruins!!" It must be written somewheres in the NHL rulebook.

With the turnover of players, coaches and strategies in that time nothing has changed, we simply get more penalties plus we generally recieved less penalties.
Their system also has something to do with all the penalties! They let the other team walk into the O zone and set up before challenging , which with their inability to clear the zone or front of the net is a disaster waiting to happen if their goaltending is less than stellar! They have 2 legit top 4 D and 13 -6 or 7th D, 2 legit top 6 forwards, and 2 top goalies that some on here want traded. Add to all this the brutal passing, refusal to shoot or hit and this is what we have. What we see these last 10 games is what the actual level of play this team is. Without major changes we will not beat any team in the East in a series!

Reactions: nORRis8 and Zillah

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You could make the argument that the lack of a good fourth line center like Nosek last year - responsible, minute eating, good at face-offs, is a bigger and more realistic issue this season than trying to find some top six stud at center. Over a long run they take the pressure off the others and reduce wear and tear.

More like the lack of a reliable 4th line including the Nosek-like center.

It's a 3 line team that is basically missing an entire line. Lauko/Steen/Boqvist/Beecher/Richard/etc. just have not gotten the job done. Not in the offensive zone, but also not in the defensive zone.

I think part of the issue we are seeing now is they've relied on the Top 9 forwards on this team so much in both Penalty Killing and defensive zone match-ups, it's starting to take it's toll here later in the season. When your 10-12th forwards can't or don't play any special teams roll, it's a big problem.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
When your up 3 to 1 at home and blow it these are mental errors that need to be addressed.
yup.
3-1. i remember shatty tried giving ullmark the puck to get a faceoff. ullmark didnt cover it up and we never could get off the ice. la ended up scoring with our tired group out there.

Reactions: Gordoff

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
this team is just dumb.
i mean. zacha. how dumb are you to take that call in the Ozone. especially when you know tgey are looking for calls after marchand got away with tgat elbow. stupid shit.
then in ot. peewee level crap. you know the pp is ending and you take tgat shot.
forbort. my god. could he have made a worst decision on that pk? why backhand it out when you couldve slapped it around on your forehand behind the net?
Is this Torts. lol

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
that man would have a heart attack coaching this team
Im not to sure. I think this team at this point has over achieved. I for one never would of expected this start. Now teams have picked it up as every point matters heading down the stretch run and points for the Bruins are harder to come by. I just hope Sweeney doesn't do anything stupid and trade more assets away for pure rentals.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Im not to sure. I think this team at this point has over achieved. I for one never would have expected this start. Now teams have picked it up as every point matters heading down the stretch run and points for the Bruins are harder to come by. I just hope Sweeney doesn't do anything stupid and trade more assets away for pure rentals.
I agree.

When they fell out of first I was somewhat happy or perhaps relieved. This is not a team with the makeup of a first place team absent incredible and potentially unsustainable goaltending and good fortune, IMO. I recall there were years in the mid 2010-2020 period (would have to look for details) where the squad sputtered and was even on the fringe of playoffs, did not look like a contender, but they were buyers in an ill fated and unrealistic attempt to contend with a couple costly tweaks.

I came into the season thinking this is a transitional year and hope the record doesn’t fool the FO into the same approach. Honestly? I’d be ok sending Jake, Griz, Forbort packing at the TDL, maybe packaging more of it meant gaining a bonfide prospect or recouping picks. And start really reconfiguring this squad. Don’t shoot me for having no specific targets or path forward, just thinking out loud at this point.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
This is a pretty myopic view on Bergeron's impact. There's a huge overall effect when your top center tilts the ice every time (Bergeron) compared to when he loses every matchup against top opponents (Coyle).
Yes it is , but it was relative to JDB production not an overall view.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Im not to sure. I think this team at this point has over achieved. I for one never would of expected this start. Now teams have picked it up as every point matters heading down the stretch run and points for the Bruins are harder to come by. I just hope Sweeney doesn't do anything stupid and trade more assets away for pure rentals.
He should be shredding the deadbeats for draft capital. His mission was accomplished they will make the playoffs.

Start transitioning with the guys in providence and get a leg up on their development before next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad