GDT: Game 55: Avs vs Jets | 8 PM MT | February 6, 2016 | There's a Hockey Game Tonight

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Oh my god. Well that's the passionate Roy that seemed to be missing this season.

I missed last night's game. Sounds like a poor effort most of the night. Such a shame. We could have used those 2 points.

Certainly could have used the points. The gif alone IMO is a bit out of context. Roy was likely trying to get the refs to wake up a little, but mostly it was for the bench. And to some extent it worked.

At some point here Roy is going to need to give these guys more salt. This all sugar stuff isn't working. NHL coaches aren't meant to have long shelf lives, and I feel like Roy wants that. But if you look at a guy like Trotz or Babcock who have had long tenures, they aren't well liked because they are nice to everyone. They hold everyone accountable, INCLUDING STAR PLAYERS. That gains a lot of ground with guys in the locker room. There are way too many players coasting on this team, or players playing that shouldn't be.

As was pointed out in this thread, what on earth did Mitchell do to warrant more ice time then even Wagner. It isn't working. And it isn't consistent. That is why this team goes through lulls like it does. There isn't accountability.

I have mentioned this many times with Roy.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I wanted to see Roy gone earlier in the season because that performance was absolutely unacceptable but you have to give him some credit for the play since December.

Yeah Varlagod played a big role but Roy was making some changes that were working.
That was nice to see.

But the underlying problem of the Avs being the worst possession team in the league is still not solved.

And there are teams with worse rosters and worse defenses that are way ahead when it comes to possession.

They really need to take a long look at that in the offseason and figure out how to change that.

If they don't, Roy will probably not be the one that ever takes us far and will have to be replaced down the line.

But for now we should just try to get through this season with the guys we have and hope that Roy and the guys can pull it out somehow and make it to the playoffs.

I was happy with how they responded after Roy intentionally blew up to get them fired up.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Certainly could have used the points. The gif alone IMO is a bit out of context. Roy was likely trying to get the refs to wake up a little, but mostly it was for the bench. And to some extent it worked.

At some point here Roy is going to need to give these guys more salt. This all sugar stuff isn't working. NHL coaches aren't meant to have long shelf lives, and I feel like Roy wants that. But if you look at a guy like Trotz or Babcock who have had long tenures, they aren't well liked because they are nice to everyone. They hold everyone accountable, INCLUDING STAR PLAYERS. That gains a lot of ground with guys in the locker room. There are way too many players coasting on this team, or players playing that shouldn't be.

As was pointed out in this thread, what on earth did Mitchell do to warrant more ice time then even Wagner. It isn't working. And it isn't consistent. That is why this team goes through lulls like it does. There isn't accountability.

I have mentioned this many times with Roy.

This has been discussed a lot before. He clearly has one way of talking about them with the media, where he's more positive than negative, and another way of dealing with them during practice, and in the room, which involves more salt.

We know at the very least he's done it with star players like MacKinnon ripping into him at practice, and done it a bit publicly with Duchene and Varly his year calling them out and saying they need to be better. Leading to them carrying the team to a 19-7-2 run.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I don't seem to recall you being here a lot when he DID change the system, to a 1-3-1, and it contributed to their better (though still not to up to their potential) play through December and January. Of course, looking through your post history, you do a lot of railing against him as a coach anyway...so I guess I'm not surprised.

Changing to a 1-3-1 is not a change to an aggressive style. It's still sitting back and waiting for the play to come to you. The D zone coverage is completely passive.

This team doesn't have the horses to play an aggressive style. Not yet, anyways.

Roy changing to a 1-3-1 was very successful for this team. Not sure why you're ragging on Roy for the system in place right now. If you want to rag on him for personnel decisions with regard to ice-time, fine, I'd actually agree with you. But I'm not going to harp on the system Roy has right now. Not when I know it isn't his preferred system and he's simply trying to get by with what he's got to work with until he has all his necessary pieces on the roster.

The 1-3-1 system only covers the neutral zone. I agree with DU,the defensive zone coverage is garbage. It's some sort of man-to-man hybrid where the wingers just sit in no man's, too far away to cover the points. The current system allows teams to dominate possession the in the Avs zone. The opposition can, more often than not, cycle the puck back to their defenders to generate free offence from the point. The worst part about this is that it exhausts the Avs skaters, making counter attacks almost useless.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The 1-3-1 system only covers the neutral zone. I agree with DU,the defensive zone coverage is garbage. It's some sort of man-to-man hybrid where the wingers just sit in no man's, too far away to cover the points. The current system allows teams to dominate possession the in the Avs zone. The opposition can, more often than not, cycle the puck back to their defenders to generate free offence from the point. The worst part about this is that it exhausts the Avs skaters, making counter attacks almost useless.

The reason you're watching that is because they've been too slow to react below the circles, and they get caught chasing the puck all night because they're constantly one step behind. One D man gets caught a step out of the play, which puts his partner in a tougher position, and the forwards aren't helping them out enough by winning board battles.

The D core has been this team's achilles heel for years, they just got better because Beauch was brought in and Holden drastically improved his play. Now Holden has gone back to his normal level of play, and EJ's play has fallen off because he can't put as much pressure on his left leg, as evidence by his inability to stop and pivot on the 4th goal last night.

As a result all three D pairings are playing below the required level. You're just not gonna win any games like that. Has nothing to do with the system. That's why the opposition keeps dumping the puck behind the net and scoring as a result. They know they can win the battles and wear them out.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This has been discussed a lot before. He clearly has one way of talking about them with the media, where he's more positive than negative, and another way of dealing with them during practice, and in the room, which involves more salt.

We know at the very least he's done it with star players like MacKinnon ripping into him at practice, and done it a bit publicly with Duchene and Varly his year calling them out and saying they need to be better. Leading to them carrying the team to a 19-7-2 run.

These are good points IMO, hate how we leave the other teams defense wide the **** open so much. They also usually are in position to catch pucks up the boards without any contention from our wingers. It's clear the defensive mind set has the wingers playing lower in the zone, and it's hurting in the breakout and defense.

I think when we've played great games, the wingers have been all over the other teams defense and physical at our blue line with them. Why we only do that 'some times' is beyond me.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
4 minute.

Technically it is still a 'minor' though, it's just 2 minutes doubled because of the severity of what is supposed to be incidental contact.

If you add in the intent (swinging the stick 180 degrees head high into a players face in a perpendicular manor), it should of easily been a major with intent to injure.

That was at least what pissed me off last night, I feel like somehow the ref didn't see it, but seen the end of it or something and the blood. Which is inexcusable considering they just called a penalty on Holden seconds previous to it.

They either did not see the full extent of it, or are dumb as **** and need to go back to reffing school regardless.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Can't believe they thought Holden was hooking there. I don't understand what refs are thinking when they see plays like that. Like a guy is gonna blatantly hook or hold a guy for like five seconds and it's not a result of the other guy holding his stick or his arm himself. It's evidenced by the fact that neither player is really moving their feet.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Almost sounds like a makeup call. Bet nothing comes of it. Maybe a small fine.

He better get at least a couple games, that was an extremely violent high stick, that could have resulted in much worse than it did.

It was just so reckless, how do you lose that much control over your stick?

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Can't believe they thought Holden was hooking there. I don't understand what refs are thinking when they see plays like that. Like a guy is gonna blatantly hook or hold a guy for like five seconds and it's not a result of the other guy holding his stick or his arm himself. It's evidenced by the fact that neither player is really moving their feet.

Stop *****ing. It was a textbook hold. The offensive player will rarely get called there if both are committing the same infraction. But the BLATANT head high stick swing was inexcusable. Even more inexcusable is the lack of a major and game misconduct. If it's not at least a 3 game suspension, this is just another black eye for the league.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He better get at least a couple games, that was an extremely violent high stick, that could have resulted in much worse than it did.

It was just so reckless, how do you lose that much control over your stick?

Would kind of be a new precedent if so. We never see that unless there's an injury that keeps someone out a game. Their criteria for whether someone should be suspended revolves almost entirely on whether a guy is injured or not. Not how vicious or dangerous a play is.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The reason you're watching that is because they've been too slow to react below the circles, and they get caught chasing the puck all night because they're constantly one step behind. One D man gets caught a step out of the play, which puts his partner in a tougher position, and the forwards aren't helping them out enough by winning board battles.

The D core has been this team's achilles heel for years, they just got better because Beauch was brought in and Holden drastically improved his play. Now Holden has gone back to his normal level of play, and EJ's play has fallen off because he can't put as much pressure on his left leg, as evidence by his inability to stop and pivot on the 4th goal last night.

As a result all three D pairings are playing below the required level. You're just not gonna win any games like that. Has nothing to do with the system. That's why the opposition keeps dumping the puck behind the net and scoring as a result. They know they can win the battles and wear them out.

I really don't think the bigger problem lies with the D core. To me, the biggest problem is how the wingers are being used. Leaving the points open allows the opposition to cycle for long periods of time. It's exhausting for defenseman to be constantly watching the puck and their man at the same time. Eventually one of the defenseman or the centre is going to lose their man and give up a scoring opportunity.

I'd really like the see the winger on the strong side of the puck leave a much smaller gap while covering the pointman.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Stop *****ing. It was a textbook hold. The offensive player will rarely get called there if both are committing the same infraction. But the BLATANT head high stick swing was inexcusable. Even more inexcusable is the lack of a major and game misconduct. If it's not at least a 3 game suspension, this is just another black eye for the league.

1) this is the first time I brought it up. 2) the textbook definition of a hold isn't the other player grabbing your arm and skating for 10-15 feet with it pulled into their body.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I know it's a neutral zone system, my poiny was speaking to the larger fact that he (Roy) HAS made changes, despite what people want to believe

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I doubt Rantanen would go straight into the top six but we badly need him to replace Comeau there. There's few things as frustrating as players like Comeau who think they're skilled players now and can't be bothered to always do the things that made them effective to begin with. Put him back in the bottom six where he belongs and maybe he'll work his ass off defensively and go to all the dirty areas in the offensive zone on a regular basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad