GDT: Game 54: Stars @ Avs | Thursday, February 4th, 7pm MT | Wake Me Up

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Everytime I hear Ryker refer to the Landy - Yeti - Comeau line as the 3rd line (tonight isn't the first time he or McNab have done it), it just reinforces their true role on the team.

The old days where the 3rd line was the "shut down" line first and scoring second. Sadly that line has had to be the first and third line all at once lately.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
If Roy calls up Rantanen it better not be for 4th line duties.

Might as well call up Zadorov while he's at it. Put the best team together and let's go out there and grab a playoff spot.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
If Roy calls up Rantanen it better not be for 4th line duties.

Might as well call up Zadorov while he's at it. Put the best team together and let's go out there and grab a playoff spot.

Yeah, I can't for the life of me figure out why they wouldn't do this.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Everytime I hear Ryker refer to the Landy - Yeti - Comeau line as the 3rd line (tonight isn't the first time he or McNab have done it), it just reinforces their true role on the team.

The old days where the 3rd line was the "shut down" line first and scoring second. Sadly that line has had to be the first and third line all at once lately.

Is it just me or do Comeau and Soda seem to have Chemistry? I know Soda is quietly a player who makes those around him better, but they do seem to click fairly well. Those two and Landy or Grigs and it's a tough line to play against.

Edit: TV thanks for the quote, it's definitely pleasing to hear Roy isn't afraid to hold the vets accountable, albeit later than many of us would have liked.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Is it just me or do Comeau and Soda seem to have Chemistry? I know Soda is quietly a player who makes those around him better, but they do seem to click fairly well. Those two and Landy or Grigs and it's a tough line to play against.

I think Comeau complements Landy-Yeti but it is that pairing that makes the line work. That is why I want Rants there (and think he ends up there). He has some of Comeau's style but far more skill.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I think Comeau complements Landy-Yeti but it is that pairing that makes the line work. That is why I want Rants there (and think he ends up there). He has some of Comeau's style but far more skill.

All valid points. I am salivating at the thought of that Scandinavian line going to town on opponents. Could have been a flash in the pan with Comeau, benefitting from Soda's smarts. Judging this game only, though, he showed some good intelligence (I am aware his play throughout the season has been a bit lackluster).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I won't apologize for believing what you said was bulls****.

Not asking you too, but when I shed light more specifically on the context of the comment. I don't expect you to ignore it in your next post and point it out again.

I didn't point at any one player, and tried to clarify that I felt like the rotation of crap has only made things worse. At no point did I say that Iginla or Tanguay specifically caused MacK to have confidence issues.

Hell MacK has been in a funk since before he scored that hat trick. It's clear at this point, at least to me. That hes not at the level yet where hes going to pull himself out of it doing the same thing night in and night out with Duchene and whoever wins the Roy lottery that night as his LW.

I also have a theory that he's far too dependent on his LW to create with him, and does not use Duchene nearly enough IMO. The entire combination is hurting, he has not been driving the net, and he has almost zero confidence in his shot. Despite having scored some important goals before the break.

Hes getting too far away from 0 mentally on the negative line to bring himself back simply staying the course as far as line mates go IMO. The funk hes in has changed his game outside of just scoring at this point. He's frustrated and letting off the gas entirely.

Hes not like Duchene where when hes frustrated hes doing too much, it seems to be the opposite where hes deferring too much IMO. And just not generally aggressive in his game overall.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Soda and Comeau were even decent with Martinsen on that line, I do think they have something going.

I don't recall them really scoring and dominating though (though I may be wrong about the scoring). Yeti does better with guys who make space and are willing to shoot though, and Comeau fits that mold.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought the final game before the break would be the last without Rantanen and then I said the same thing after the Hawks game. Maybe after tonight now? Please?

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
MacK is the type of player that benefits from a good breakout and neutral zone transition game because it puts defenders on their heels. When teams are successful in clogging up our first passes and easy lanes, he struggles. Same with Duchene to a lesser extent, but he has become a more rounded player off the cycle and so is dangerous in a system that obviously relies on a significant amount of board play in the offensive zone.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't recall them really scoring and dominating though (though I may be wrong about the scoring). Yeti does better with guys who make space and are willing to shoot though, and Comeau fits that mold.

I do think Mikko could play that roll a little better though, Comeau sometimes has the play die on his stick a little too much. Mikko can for-check pretty damn good, he can also shoot when dished the puck.

Personally I don't like Comeau being the primary for-checker and the receiver of the first pass out of the zone, but I'm not sure Landeskog is healthy enough to be carrying the puck up the ice and hitting defenders regularly with that shoulder. Hes been responsible for staying back more and being the anchor defensively on the line.

I don't think it's a huge chemistry thing, but I do think Soderberg needs a guy who is aggressive and can play ahead of him in the play so he can be responsible defensively and not take risks leading the play up the ice. He does not change directions that well where hes going to leave himself vulnerable to being behind the play going the other way. If Landeskog was fully healthy, I think he'd be the one driving that line up the ice. He still does it well once that line is already in the O-zone, but hes not the one carrying the puck up the wing receiving break out passes on the regular like he had been in years prior. Blake is just the best option right now IMO.

The only thing better might be one of MacK or Duchene on his RW, or Mikko if I'm right.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I do think Mikko could play that roll a little better though, Comeau sometimes has the play die on his stick a little too much. Mikko can for-check pretty damn good, he can also shoot when dished the puck.

Personally I don't like Comeau being the primary for-checker and the receiver of the first pass out of the zone, but I'm not sure Landeskog is healthy enough to be carrying the puck up the ice and hitting defenders regularly with that shoulder. Hes been responsible for staying back more and being the anchor defensively on the line.

I don't think it's a huge chemistry thing, but I do think Soderberg needs a guy who is aggressive and can play ahead of him in the play so he can be responsible defensively and not take risks leading the play up the ice. He does not change directions that well where hes going to leave himself vulnerable to being behind the play going the other way. If Landeskog was fully healthy, I think he'd be the one driving that line up the ice. He still does it well once that line is already in the O-zone, but hes not the one carrying the puck up the wing receiving break out passes on the regular like he had been in years prior. Blake is just the best option right now IMO.

The only thing better might be one of MacK or Duchene on his RW, or Mikko if I'm right.

Agreed. I think that is pretty much what I've been trying to express over the last few of my posts on the issue

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The way that Roy has been riding the top 4, it's not surprising to see some of these guys slow down. Holden's game has fallen off big time. Barrie isn't skating as much and looked awful. EJ looked better tonight, but I think Beauchemin is getting exposed a bit.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
https://t.co/G2A5V2b0wI

Nothing specific about Rantanen but given his comments about needing to find someone, and not entirely endorsing Grigorenko (though at least being somewhat positive), there aren't too many options before turning to Rantanen. It'd be foolish to try and trade for someone before at least seeing if he's ready to start contributing on the big club.

He mentioned the defense, and hopefully it's not entirely lost on him that when Zadorov and Bigras were both up the team was playing much better and allowing 1 goal per game. Admittedly it's a stretch to draw a direct correlation between Zads being up (and EJ being out) and the better play, but I don't think it's completely unrelated. EJ seems slow to get back in the groove and they gotta be patient with him, but at the very least there doesn't seem to be any reason to be hell bent on keeping EJ and Beauch together which seems to be the biggest block as to why Zads can't be up here.

It's sort of a broken record, but it's good to hear Roy sounding a bit exasperated and last time he was this exasperated they responded by calling up Zads and Bigras. They needed a spark then. They need a spark now.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Some of the things EJ has been doing out there.......I just don't know. If you told me that was #5 in a #6 jersey at times, I'd be a bit confused but I'd probably believe you.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
https://t.co/G2A5V2b0wI

Nothing specific about Rantanen but given his comments about needing to find someone, and not entirely endorsing Grigorenko (though at least being somewhat positive), there aren't too many options before turning to Rantanen. It'd be foolish to try and trade for someone before at least seeing if he's ready to start contributing on the big club.

He mentioned the defense, and hopefully it's not entirely lost on him that when Zadorov and Bigras were both up the team was playing much better and allowing 1 goal per game. Admittedly it's a stretch to draw a direct correlation between Zads being up (and EJ being out) and the better play, but I don't think it's completely unrelated. EJ seems slow to get back in the groove and they gotta be patient with him, but at the very least there doesn't seem to be any reason to be hell bent on keeping EJ and Beauch together which seems to be the biggest block as to why Zads can't be up here.

It's sort of a broken record, but it's good to hear Roy sounding a bit exasperated and last time he was this exasperated they responded by calling up Zads and Bigras. They needed a spark then. They need a spark now.

:handclap: I loved it. He says it like it is here. We need both Zads and Rants back.Just get rid of Redmond already the guy is garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad