GDT: Game 54: Stars @ Avs | Thursday, February 4th, 7pm MT | Wake Me Up

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Next two are must wins. Winnipeg playing second of a back to back against us and then Vancouver at home.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Even though we didn't "deserve" it, we need to win that. We've left so many points on the table this year.

We didn't deserve to win it, but we also let in an extremely soft tying goal there and sat back way too much.

Roy needs to quit trying to force one of Iginla or Tanguay onto that top line. It's gone on too long and it's really hurting MacKinnon's confidence IMO.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
they didn't deserve even a point. this team just doesn't seem good enough for the playoffs.

It's been evident for awhile now. We got lucky and stringed together some wins to get a wild card spot which we have essentially because we've played more games than the teams below us.

Our best players simply aren't that good or at least haven't been outside of a few stretches. As of right now we've drafted 3 60~ point players with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall picks. That's unacceptable. They need to step up. At least Landy has been somewhat lately but he's not who you want to be your best player.

Last edited:

AvHooligan

Oct 10, 2015
I can't even describe what it's like being an Avs fan. They just get completely dominated all the time but still somehow get points. It's mind boggiling...and quite frankly it's bad for my health. This entire game just stressed me the hell out.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Landy is starting to really heat up. He was super physical in the 3rd and was battling really hard. Mack on the other hand doesn't even try unless the puck is on his stick. Lackluster effort trying to grab loose pucks to say the least

Wow is this true. Mackinnon really struggles when he doesn't have the puck. His entire play is worrisome lately.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
We didn't deserve to win it, but we also let in an extremely soft tying goal there and sat back way too much.

Roy needs to quit trying to force one of Iginla or Tanguay onto that top line. It's gone on too long and it's really hurting MacKinnon's confidence IMO.

If that's hurting MacKinnon's confidence, then we have a bigger problem. The guy is in his 3rd year in the NHL. And again, when was the last time Tanguay played up there? It feels like it's been a while.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
no idea how we have been getting points with this lineup and lack of effort
even luckier others in the hunt aren't

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Well I think Grigio did fine on the top line. Please give it some time Roy. I think the Soda line played reasonably well, but Comeau is very up and down. Hopefully Ranta can help there.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I thought Comeau was bad tonight. I know most are blinded by his two good plays (which he deserves credit for) but outside of that he was a turnover machine. He needs to be kept away from the pp too. Barrie had a rough one.

Compared to last game he was better. Progress. Agreed though he should never be on the PP but hes pretty good on the PK. Something has happened to this team ever since Zadorov got sent down.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs have got to find a way to stop playing a hockey that demands elite goaltending or screwed.

They started doing a better job of that at one point but have gone to **** recently. Playing awful hockey in the last 5 games. It was the Stars, Sharks, Kings, Hawks, and Stars again but still, they have to be better.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario

I dunno...I don't think Mack intercepted a single loose puck in the neutral zone tonight. He just lazily threw his stick out with one hand every single time. When you see guys like Hemsky picking the pick out of the air it pisses me off when mack hardly tries

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We should have lost this game with three or four goals. Pickard is the last one to put any blame towards.

Avs have got to find a way to stop playing a hockey that demands elite goaltending or screwed.

I wouldn't say it's blame but Varly would have let in fewer. And yes if he wasn't good there would have been even more.

It's really not that, it's taking advantage of your opportunities that's the difference. Late game PP, PS, you have to convert. That's where I believe this team is hinging on winning or losing.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I think Soderberg was our best player that game, the guy was on point. EJ looks like he is still remembering how to play, a little hesitation still. This will pass (I hope)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If that's hurting MacKinnon's confidence, then we have a bigger problem. The guy is in his 3rd year in the NHL. And again, when was the last time Tanguay played up there? It feels like it's been a while.

You go that long without being able to create and it's going to have an effect. I think MacK relies on his LW quite a bit personally.

He'll have to break himself of that dependency, but right now it's there and the rotation has only helped continue his cold streak IMO.

I'm just saying it's a 'factor' not trying to use it as a complete excuse.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Iginla and tanguay are done. As sad as it is they should be healthy scratches most nights. Or maybe iginla as a 4th liner. They may be useful in the playoffs in pinch but I don't think they can cut it anymore at there age.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Iginla and tanguay are done. As sad as it is they should be healthy scratches most nights. Or maybe iginla as a 4th liner. They may be useful in the playoffs in pinch but I don't think they can cut it anymore at there age.

I'd be willing to bet that we'd see entirely different players out of those two once actually in the post season. Especially Iginla IMO.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado

This is true, I think we would be hard pressed to honestly say Iginla is better than a Parenteau of a couple years past; similarly, tanguay is Briere 2.0. They may improve in the postseason, but it won't matter if we don't make it. Maybe rest the geriatrics so they can make a difference when it counts

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs are having a humongous tough time from the area between Avs defensive blue line and the red line when it comes to breaking out. Another game, where the passing game was atrocious making Stars just retain possession and throw it back in. Moreover, guys, it's not Martinsen and Tanguay being the causes...MacKinnon, Landeskog, Comeau, Redmond, Iginla, Barrie, Holden, and the whole fourth line are having big problems in breaking it out throughout this zone. Only players who've done at least a good job have been EJ Johnson, Duchene, Grigorenko, and to some degree Beauchemin.

Yeah Barrie was really bad, absolute blame him for the goal, BUT where the hell was Duchene, MacKinnon, and Iginla? You won't win too many games when your best two offensive forwards have been a no show once again. Especially MacKinnon, not only has he been a no show, he's playing some really, really bad hockey. I do disagree Dirky, I thought EJ Johnson had a fairly solid game today.

Good news though, Landeskog again has been the best forward which is great to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad