GDT: Game 54 - Avalanche @ Golden Knights - All on the Line - 8PM

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Bednar has a big decision to make here. Go all out for the president's trophy, or give some young guys some ice time and let the big guns rest. I do not envy his position. If it was me, I'd go all out for top spot. Vegas seem to play St Louis well, and the Wild less well, so I'd like to see them tussle it out and give us a shot at the team with the worst record of the four.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Colorado (33) and Edmonton (31) are the only two teams with over 30 regulation wins this season. Vegas have won 9 times in OT and once in a shootout, giving them 6 extra points compared to the Avs who have just 4 OT wins this year and no shootout wins.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Bednar has a big decision to make here. Go all out for the president's trophy, or give some young guys some ice time and let the big guns rest. I do not envy his position. If it was me, I'd go all out for top spot. Vegas seem to play St Louis well, and the Wild less well, so I'd like to see them tussle it out and give us a shot at the team with the worst record of the four.
I think you take it game by game, starting with going all out against LA on Wednesday. There's a chance that San Jose does us a favour by beating Vegas and makes the last game a write-off. The real decision would be if both we and SJ win on Wednesday do you play Grubauer or Johansson?

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I think you take it game by game, starting with going all out against LA on Wednesday. There's a chance that San Jose does us a favour by beating Vegas and makes the last game a write-off. The real decision would be if both we and SJ win on Wednesday do you play Grubauer or Johansson?

Valid points. I also would say take it period by period. If the Avs are up 4-0 going into the third, let the young guys play it out. If it's close, keep the big boys in.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Also, for all the same people that bitch and complain about the Avs being a soft team that just gets pushed around against the big bully teams like Vegas...

Avs had almost 50 hits tonight.
As Bednar said in the postgame press conference the Avs only had that many hits because Vegas had the puck the whole time, and despite that Vegas were still the more physically engaged team.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Losing the Presidents trophy because we have to play our third string goalie would be so fitting

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Very satisfying win last night. I’d go for 1st place.

1st round of Vegas vs Minnesota appeals greatly to me. Vegas could lose that series.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
1st round of Vegas vs Minnesota appeals greatly to me. Vegas could lose that series.

Even if Vegas wins, Minnesota is another team that likes to play big and heavy. Those two teams would beat the crap out of each other in round 1. Avs need to take care of business in their last two games, home ice isn't the only advantage they'd get.

Unfortunately, it would be the most Avs thing ever to squeak out a win against Vegas then lose to the f***ing LA Kings...

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Even if Vegas wins, Minnesota is another team that likes to play big and heavy. Those two teams would beat the crap out of each other in round 1. Avs need to take care of business in their last two games, home ice isn't the only advantage they'd get.

Unfortunately, it would be the most Avs thing ever to squeak out a win against Vegas then lose to the f***ing LA Kings...
Finishing ahead of Vegas would obviously be nice, but winning on Wednesday would also guarantee the Avs home ice beyond the 2nd round. If San Jose win in regulation (as unlikely as that would be) a win on Wednesday would clinch the Presidents trophy as well.

upload_2021-5-11_14-54-7.png

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

Yup, that´s why everyone at Vegas is so pissed about last night. Not only that we can overtake them, no, they probably have to face Minnesota in Round 1, a team they surely want to avoid, given their record against them.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The Nemeth, Timmins, and Graves bottom-3 has got to be the slowest bottom-3D in the league. More so Nemeth and Timmins than Graves.

Once Girard gets back I’d sit Nemeth and keep MacDonald in the lineup. The extra speed/puck movement on the bottom pair is a better fit for the Avs style.

Graves was actually pretty solid last night. Nemeth should be the 7 when G is back.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Based on Bednar's comments about execution and not being happy, he may not rest anyone. He may want them to gut it out and make amends for last night's BS. Come out and go for it.
Like others have said, Mack doesn't seem to be telling trainers much and sitting him an extra game or so may not matter.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
MacK looked banged up. Put it this way....

Would you rather put everything on the line including playing MacK who isn't 100% in those last two games vs the Kings to win the division, but potentially not have MacK to start the playoffs against the Blues, or would you rather play the Wild with healthy MacK? Also this team beat the Kings twice without MacK in LA, they can do it two more times in Colorado. Just rest him

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Mack needs to get whatever rehab in that he can in the few days we have before the playoffs. He did not look ready out there

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Based on Bednar's comments about execution and not being happy, he may not rest anyone. He may want them to gut it out and make amends for last night's BS. Come out and go for it.
Like others have said, Mack doesn't seem to be telling trainers much and sitting him an extra game or so may not matter.
Reporter: “What do you think of your team’s execution?”

John McKay: “I’m in favor of it.”

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't remember the last time I saw Compher look like he belonged on the team. Why can't he play like that all the time?

Reactions: dahrougem2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad