GDT: Game 52: Vegas vs Coyotes - 7:00pm - BSAZ+

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You would have a point if Chick isn't 30 plus feet away, that gets called almost every time. To not call it would be bad reffing.
The irony is that it most likely would not have been called during the normal course of the game.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The irony is that it most likely would not have been called during the normal course of the game.
I doubt you can find me examples of a line change where player coming on takes the puck 30 feet from bench while other player is still on the ice without a penalty being called, that would be a massive miss by Officials. You should be pointing out the mistakes by Goligoski and Chychrun rather than Officials doing their job correctly.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I doubt you can find me examples of a line change where player coming on takes the puck 30 feet from bench while other player is still on the ice without a penalty being called, that would be a massive miss by Officials. You should be pointing out the mistakes by Goligoski and Chychrun rather than Officials doing their job correctly.
If you do a search for something akin to "too many men on the ice missed call" you'll find examples, but yes, those are egregious misses, and would assuredly have been called if the ref were aware. I think most of the issue fans are having with this is that the liminal boundary for one player being on and getting into the play while the other is transitioning onto the bench tends to have a subjective standard. You can point to the physical touching of the puck and say that's objective, as well as the distance from the bench, but there are plenty of examples where a player takes advantage of that temporary 6-on-5 while not actually touching the puck, yet it is never called.

Jumping off the bench and joining the defense against a rush now allows you to cover the late man who was not going to be covered save the fact that you jumped the gun, but because you didn't touch the puck, it's not too many men on the ice. In this case, you were playing defense, so even though the puck wasn't there, it wasn't there because you were, and so you have affected the play and the standard of directly being involved in the play doesn't suffice.

Similarly, I find on a delayed offside many players really drag on turning around when the opposing side already has the puck. This makes the defensemen or whoever loop back even farther to reset because you've prevented him from freely moving by forechecking for so long. You've just delayed the game and allowed your team an extra second or two to get back on defense, but they don't ever call this. It's obvious players do this intentionally. It's a form of illegal interference frankly, and similar to the too many men issue, the refs standard seems to end at you physically involving yourself with the puck or puck carrier, even though you can certainly be affecting the play when you are not allowed to be doing so.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What I find amusing is that the ref's keep missing cross checks in front on the net that is so blatant a blind man could see it, but when there are calls like this where you almost need slow motion to see if it is a penalty is laughable. The refs needed their heads on a swivel to call this penalty. They did get the call right, but how about if they get the obvious one's right as well.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What I find amusing is that the ref's keep missing cross checks in front on the net that is so blatant a blind man could see it, but when there are calls like this where you almost need slow motion to see if it is a penalty is laughable. The refs needed their heads on a swivel to call this penalty. They did get the call right, but how about if they get the obvious one's right as well.
Cross check and interference are my pet peeves, more so the interference. OEL had one called on him a couple games ago, that while legit, the same interference is not called over 99% of the time!
They want more offense and goals, but fail to call that that would generate same!

Reactions: Jakey53

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
You would have a point if Chick isn't 30 plus feet away, that gets called almost every time. To not call it would be bad reffing.
This wasn't called last night and at no point did anyone think it was a penalty
upload_2021-5-4_21-59-2.png

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because I took the screenshot to prove a point...
Like I said before, it's easy to sit back watching slow motion, but the game is moving 100 mph. and the refs have to make a split second decision. I don't give a damn about these calls, the one's I'm concerned about is the cross checking that never gets called and the refs are standing two feet away.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Like I said before, it's easy to sit back watching slow motion, but the game is moving 100 mph. and the refs have to make a split second decision. I don't give a damn about these calls, the one's I'm concerned about is the cross checking that never gets called and the refs are standing two feet away.
Why waste time on calls, they go both ways, tend to even out. Or NHL discipline, they do the best they can. Players and coaches can't control that, they should worry about things within their control. Using excuses and blaming refs instead of looking at your own poor play or poor coaching is the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad