GDT: Game 52: Penguins @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ+

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Curious if that was a showcase of KConn. We could get a late pick at the deadline. Defensive depth for somebody.

At the same time, if memory serves, Chych was terrible in our last game vs. Pit.

I can see Kconn playing in a stretch of games if there is interest in him from other clubs at the TDL, this would be smart.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
I think there must have been a huge marketing initiative done by the Coyotes to get Pens fans at the game last night.
In between period 1 and 2 in the concourse at 112, there was this HUGE group of Pens fans posing for pictures with some fellow.
The 2 or 3 of us Coyote fans were trying to figure out who the guy was.
I heard that he was a Pittsburgh sports writer.
Normally when there are 16000 fans, 14,500 of them screaming for the other team, I always say 90% of them live right here in Arizona..
Judging by just what was going on in the concourse last night I'd say the percentage was maybe only 75% from Arizona..
One young lady was posing with him with a sign that said "Finally, Hockey in the Desert"

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Pittsburgh had a night off and so did their goalie. Coyotes would have been spanked like last time if the Penguins were on top of their game.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I think there must have been a huge marketing initiative done by the Coyotes to get Pens fans at the game last night.
In between period 1 and 2 in the concourse at 112, there was this HUGE group of Pens fans posing for pictures with some fellow.
Normally when there are 16000 fans, 14,500 of them screaming for the other team, I always say 90% of them live right here in Arizona..
Judging by just what was going on in the concourse last night I'd say the percentage was maybe only 75% from Arizona..
One young lady was posing with him with a sign that said "Finally, Hockey in the Desert"

You do know there's a very large Crosby bandwagon following right?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Hey guys,

My buddy is a huge Larry Fitzgerald and Cardinals fan, he has like 7 Fitz jerseys it feels like, PP, Palmer, hell, even Leinart...what do I gotta do to get my hands on that Fitz bobblehead from last night...?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's like a Bigfoot sighting...

I've seen a car on the 101 with Patriots, Yankees, Lakers, and blackhawks stickers. At some point just get a sticker that says "whoever is good" and be done with it haha.

Ftr I don't normally care about bandwagon fans as long they're not obnoxious, but obnoxiousness and length of Fandom seem to be indirectly correlated.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Hey guys,

My buddy is a huge Larry Fitzgerald and Cardinals fan, he has like 7 Fitz jerseys it feels like, PP, Palmer, hell, even Leinart...what do I gotta do to get my hands on that Fitz bobblehead from last night...?

There's a ton of all those giveaways on eBay all the time.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Lost in this, Perlini's breakaway pass from Goligoski brought me out of my seat. a goal there and Smiths gaff doesn't matter.

Should not have been lost on anyone.

I was limited to watching the replay at 12:30am and that play stood out to me.

Smith's gaffe with the puck was just one of those things. The puck flat died on him and he was obviously worried about drawing a penalty for being out of the trapezoid.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Pittsburgh had a night off and so did their goalie. Coyotes would have been spanked like last time if the Penguins were on top of their game.

Pens would have lost in regulation too, if not for the Smith mistake. The Coyotes are clearly playing much better hockey and they won because of it, not because Pitt was awful, they weren't. The team and their coach deserves a little credit once in a while:)

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Smith's gaffe with the puck was just one of those things. The puck flat died on him and he was obviously worried about drawing a penalty for being out of the trapezoid.
The goaltender's plan of action at that point, the backup plan, should be to go tend the goal. Sigh.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I was limited to watching the replay at 12:30am and that play stood out to me.

Not poking fun - in total agreement.... it would have been a huge goal, I knew it then, the wife knew it then, as should have everyone and none of us should have forgotten. Definitely stood out.

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
When I went to Pittsburgh in the nice program (which is far better than our little pamphlet) there was an advertisement for upcoming "Away-Game Getaways". There was a trip to Detroit January 14-15, Buffalo March 21-25 and New Jersey April 5-7.
For $1505 you could come out here Feb. 9-13 and stay at a "resort" with on-site dining, spa, pool, golf and more. Money well spent to see your team drop one in the desert!

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
You have been right about Murphy being third pairing, but I hope only so far:) Patience yes, but Murphy's contract might be a mistake. Signing him to a 3.8 mill 6 year deal is not something you give a third pairing D with second pairing upside. I think they were hoping he could be a 1RHD but worst case 2RHD when they signed him to that term and money.

Picking Strome(not Hanifin), not trading Strome for Hamilton, lead to the Murphy signing, which leads us to not having a 1C/1RHD. The plan wasn't for Schenn to step in and be our 1RHD, although he has been solid for now.

Well for starters Hamilton went for significantly less then a 3rd overall pick so we made the right move by staying put and making the pick. If there was anyone we should have taken 3rd overall besides Strome, it shoulda been Marner. And can we at least wait a few years before writing of Strome please? Anyone who knew anything about Strome knew he was a long term project. If Strome were to make the NHL next year then he would be probably a few years ahead of what scouts originally thought. Strome is a long term project and always has been so let's please be patient.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well for starters Hamilton went for significantly less then a 3rd overall pick so we made the right move by staying put and making the pick. If there was anyone we should have taken 3rd overall besides Strome, it shoulda been Marner. And can we at least wait a few years before writing of Strome please? Anyone who knew anything about Strome knew he was a long term project. If Strome were to make the NHL next year then he would be probably a few years ahead of what scouts originally thought. Strome is a long term project and always has been so let's please be patient.

IF Strome does not make the team next year I would be almost as disappointed as I was this year when he came to camp like not a care in the world (overconfident). I knew the minute I saw him in rookie camp last year he looked out of sorts. Falling down, not driving the play, floating at all costs. I think very few had Strome as a long term project, but this next training camp will answer many questions.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

The Strome pick looks like a mistake now. Hanifin or Marner would have been better picks. If we had it to do over agin today, we would have gladly traded Strome for Hamilton or taken Marner or Hanifin. Strome was supposed to be a first over all in some other drafts.

I hope he works out, but you don't pick long term projects with the third overall, meaning a guy you expect to make the team in 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad