GDT: Game #52 Minnesota Wild @ San Jose Sharks 7:30pm PST 25 Jan 2014 CSNCa Team leaders

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I'm comparing a winger to another winger who has been playing center for a little bit this year...not an actual center. You've yet to show that Havlat is worse as a choice than McCarthy. Your fore-check argument is weak because he doesn't do that very often and he certainly doesn't do it very well. His skating effectiveness is not better than Havlat even this year when Havlat is recovering from a major surgery. I don't care if McCarthy can stay on his skates better. He doesn't utilize his skating ability to be a more effective player on either end of the ice than Havlat.

It doesn't take very long to figure out why Havlat is more effective than McCarthy. Production on one side and what they give up on the other end is really all you need to know. McCarthy does next to nothing on the offensive end, and yes even in his 4th line role he is expected to do more than one assist, and doesn't defend the other side very well either.

I'm sorry but McCarthy is a much better skater than havlat right now. Havlats surgery is obvious out there. He's struggling to keep up and his Corsi numbers show that as well.

Havlat has 4 more points than brown in the same amount of time. A decent amount of that with our top line. Weak argument.

Havlat vs McCarthy as a forecheck is obvious because even of havlat decides to skate that far he is doing nothing at that point. McCarthy doesn't do it as much as his wingers but he does do it and generally separates his guy from the puck in the process.

The fact that there is even a debate between havlat vs. McCarthy/brown tells me quite a bit about how much Marty is actually doing on the ice.

I wish we had a havlat that was 100%. But we don't and I doubt ever will. I'll definitely give him a chance though if he does see the ice again.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
But to say that the third and fourth lines are fit is either wrong or lowering the standard really low because while Kearns-Desjardins-Kennedy create energy, they're not productive enough for a 3rd line and Hayes-McCarthy-Brown is bad. There's a reason why Brown was benched after that goal. He doesn't exactly fit either and neither does McCarthy centering that line.

They are the best they have right now with the injuries. If the coaches thought Havlat would help, he'd be playing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm sorry but McCarthy is a much better skater than havlat right now. Havlats surgery is obvious out there. He's struggling to keep up and his Corsi numbers show that as well.

Havlat has 4 more points than brown in the same amount of time. A decent amount of that with our top line. Weak argument.

Havlat vs McCarthy as a forecheck is obvious because even of havlat decides to skate that far he is doing nothing at that point. McCarthy doesn't do it as much as his wingers but he does do it and generally separates his guy from the puck in the process.

The fact that there is even a debate between havlat vs. McCarthy/brown tells me quite a bit about how much Marty is actually doing on the ice.

I wish we had a havlat that was 100%. But we don't and I doubt ever will. I'll definitely give him a chance though if he does see the ice again.

And yet for as much as you think that McCarthy is so much more effective, he's done nothing at all with it. To say, that Brown and Havlat have played the same amount of time is ridiculously disingenuous. Brown has played significantly more games, has been less productive, and given up a hell of a lot more on the other end...like McCarthy. For someone separating the man from the puck, he doesn't have very many hits and doesn't have very many takeaways. Hell, Havlat has one more takeaway in 11 less games hitting far, far less. Not that that holds any meaning here.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
And yet for as much as you think that McCarthy is so much more effective, he's done nothing at all with it. To say, that Brown and Havlat have played the same amount of time is ridiculously disingenuous. Brown has played significantly more games, has been less productive, and given up a hell of a lot more on the other end...like McCarthy. For someone separating the man from the puck, he doesn't have very many hits and doesn't have very many takeaways. Hell, Havlat has one more takeaway in 11 less games hitting far, far less. Not that that holds any meaning here.

Firstly. Never said McCarthy was so much more effective.

He's just a better fit because I think they are about equally effective. McCarthy just fits the identity better and seriously havlat added nothing to this team. We looked like a worse team with him on the ice. His playmaking wasn't at a level that would force him into being played. His skating is shoddy because of the injury, and he's no shooter.

Brown and havlat have the same possession numbers. Brown actually better than havlat in fenwick. Both equally terrible. Not even sure what to make of that. Other than McCarthy is better in possession than both of them.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Firstly. Never said McCarthy was so much more effective.

He's just a better fit because I think they are about equally effective. McCarthy just fits the identity better and seriously havlat added nothing to this team. We looked like a worse team with him on the ice. His playmaking wasn't at a level that would force him into being played. His skating is shoddy because of the injury, and he's no shooter.

Brown and havlat have the same possession numbers. Brown actually better than havlat in fenwick. Both equally terrible. Not even sure what to make of that. Other than McCarthy is better in possession than both of them.

And yet, he still produced more and still gave up less defensively than either of them. And the reality is that only one of the three has a chance to improve as a player and it's not McCarthy or Brown.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Getting back to the game it's nice to joe shooting and getting some goals. I'm not to hold my breath because I know won't last long but he still has an outside shot of being one of only 10 players to have 400 goals and 1000 assists in their career it would be a pretty cool Mark if you could get there

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Getting back to the game it's nice to joe shooting and getting some goals. I'm not to hold my breath because I know won't last long but he still has an outside shot of being one of only 10 players to have 400 goals and 1000 assists in their career it would be a pretty cool Mark if you could get there

So he's still on pace 60 goals away, and about 6 seasons left in his career. Just needs to average 10 goals a year.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
So he's still on pace 60 goals away, and about 6 seasons left in his career. Just needs to average 10 goals a year.

Yes very do able it believe he will but until the last few games he was stuck on 5 goals had me worried a bit. I have no doubt if he starts just shooting a little more it shouldnt be a problem he's always around the net . like I said. Either way very cool benchmark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad