GDT: Game 52: Columbus at Edmonton | 2/2 9PM EST

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is quite simple, ladies and gentleman. You want to tank, but you don't want to look like you are tanking.

How to accomplish this?

Just play Prout and Falk every game, and give the 4th line enough minutes to give up the desired amount of goals.

PHOPJD: "Torts, you gotta get back soon, so heal up good over the break. The team is 2-0-1 under Hartsburg. He clearly doesn't get it."

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Seriously. People need to come to terms with what this FO is trying to actually accomplish this year.
Hint, its not winning games.

I want to believe you but I don't think they've done anything that has hurt the team:
-The trade to get Jones was a hockey trade. Yes it helps us in long-term (and likely benefits Nashville this year) but a player didn't fit and we got pretty good value for him.
-They haven't traded anyone - only questionable move was releasing Cotton.

Now hopefully at some point they start doing what they need to do - moving veterans.

But to this point I still think the team is trying to win - but between bad goal tending, streaky scoring and a bad blue line (until recently) it's tough to win :)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
2) Too many young players need decisions made on their future. Chaput, Tynan, and Sedlak have not gotten any type of a real look in the NHL; all have expiring contracts after this season and they need assessed at the highest level. Paliotta is in the same boat, but he's a recent acquisition and will likely be qualified no matter what.

Chaput has 53 NHL games to his name. He's a borderline NHL player at best. Seems like he can be an above-average AHLer but might struggle to be a consistent NHLer, if that makes sense.

Tynan - I don't think this team has room for another 5'9/5'10 guy, just my opinion. He's right there with Chaput in probably not quite ever being an NHL player.

You could also add Alex Broadhurst to your list. All of those guys though, I think are behind Rychel and Anderson on the depth chart. The center depth is so depleted now, though, that they will probably need to keep Chaput and perhaps Tynan. I mean, imagine if Wennberg or Karlsson is hurt. What is the team going to do? They can't keep rotating Foligno/Jenner at C forever. The only other C prospect is...Stenlund? That's about it.

They'll almost certainly keep Paliotta. Kid is in his first pro season. Sounds like he'll have a shot to earn the 6/7 spot with the big club at camp.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
MB - I think you see those guys after the roster increase...but I agree with you that I want a look at them...

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Chaput has 53 NHL games to his name. He's a borderline NHL player at best. Seems like he can be an above-average AHLer but might struggle to be a consistent NHLer, if that makes sense.

...is exactly what Atlanta said about Derek MacKenzie. I see a lot of similarities between them, personally. Both are smart players whose offense from their junior days hasn't carried over, but MacKenzie made the transition to becoming an excellent fourth-liner and Chaput still needs time to do that.

If you give me a choice between Chaput and Boll, I'm taking Chaput. If you give me a choice between Chaput and Campbell, I'm taking Chaput. If you give me a choice between Chaput and Clarkson or Chaput and Bourque, even setting aside the contracts, I'm taking Chaput.

Tynan - I don't think this team has room for another 5'9/5'10 guy, just my opinion. He's right there with Chaput in probably not quite ever being an NHL player.

Tough to say, since he's never played a single NHL game.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I don't often agree with Mayor B. But on the issue of Chaput over all of the other washed up 4th line vets, I also would take Chaput 100 out of 100 times.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
...is exactly what Atlanta said about Derek MacKenzie. I see a lot of similarities between them, personally. Both are smart players whose offense from their junior days hasn't carried over, but MacKenzie made the transition to becoming an excellent fourth-liner and Chaput still needs time to do that.

If you give me a choice between Chaput and Boll, I'm taking Chaput. If you give me a choice between Chaput and Campbell, I'm taking Chaput. If you give me a choice between Chaput and Clarkson or Chaput and Bourque, even setting aside the contracts, I'm taking Chaput.

Tough to say, since he's never played a single NHL game.

It is about time for them to start bringing some guys up to give them a look, or at least a couple of NHL games. They don't want to hurt the Monsters play-off chances, but they need to give some guys a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Some of those guys deserve a shot at showing what they can do, and others deserve a couple of games just to reward them with some NHL money for their efforts in Cleveland. Werenski should get a contract and some games after Michigan's season is over.

Things would be totally different were we fighting for play-off positioning, but that is not the case, so give these guys some games.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Sorry...to be clear, I would really like to re-sign Chaput to a one or two-year, two-way deal if he'd do it. If we could dump Campell I'd like Chaput in that 4th line role if he earns it. It's just hard to tell if he'll stick at the NHL level or not.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Sorry...to be clear, I would really like to re-sign Chaput to a one or two-year, two-way deal if he'd do it. If we could dump Campell I'd like Chaput in that 4th line role if he earns it. It's just hard to tell if he'll stick at the NHL level or not.

I don't know if Chaput is an NHL-caliber player now or if he will ever will be.

I do know that it's painfully obvious that Campbell no longer is.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I was hard in him on the past, but he upped his game considerably during his time up here. Yes, I know it was only 3 games.

IMO he's not borderline anymore; he has a NHL future. Good two way game, he started to provide secondary scoring (at least he and his line was getting chances), and can play on the PK. He can also win face offs; something unusual with this team right now.

4th line centers - do you play the game hard and do you compete/win battles? Can you play defense? Can you play on the PK? Can you win face offs? If you do that, you have a future. Anything on the offensive side is gravy.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Seriously. People need to come to terms with what this FO is trying to actually accomplish this year.

So, I get it. Finally.

They decided to completely change the chemistry of the team by moving a fair number of the season ending roster of last year, get rid of a #1C, take on the contract of Clarkson, sign their entire remaining core of players to long term contracts in order to have a 20% chance of getting a 20% chance of a franchise player in Matthews.

It really does make sense. Mortgage the future of a very shaky franchise in order for a 4% chance of getting a franchise player. LOL

The notion that this FO hasn't tried to win this year is beyond ridiculous. As much as I don't like them, I have never, ever thought that they were trying to lose.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
So, I get it. Finally.

They decided to completely change the chemistry of the team by moving a fair number of the season ending roster of last year, get rid of a #1C, take on the contract of Clarkson, sign their entire remaining core of players to long term contracts in order to have a 20% chance of getting a 20% chance of a franchise player in Matthews.

It really does make sense. Mortgage the future of a very shaky franchise in order for a 4% chance of getting a franchise player. LOL

The notion that this FO hasn't tried to win this year is beyond ridiculous. As much as I don't like them, I have never, ever thought that they were trying to lose.

There is a difference between playing to lose and not playing to win. Given the last move the FO made and possible( probable) future moves of contracts at the TDL, its not hard to see this club looking to the future. The CBJ don't necessarily need to draft first overall to get immediate help, probably top 4 though. At some point recently I fully believe the club has written of this year.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
I haven't problem with this loss. These western games after long rest (break) sometimes very difficult for us ( for any/no reason) :laugh:

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

What do you think they are trying to accomplish? They haven't traded veterans away. They haven't called up AHLers in numbers.

If the front office thinks this core can win, which the FO has demonstrated they believe, they would not tank by doing nothing.

Real tankers trade most of the players who could help them win to other teams and get picks and prospects back. Toronto has been showing how it's done since last summer.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
What do you think they are trying to accomplish? They haven't traded veterans away. They haven't called up AHLers in numbers.

If the front office thinks this core can win, which the FO has demonstrated they believe, they would not tank by doing nothing.

Real tankers trade most of the players who could help them win to other teams and get picks and prospects back. Toronto has been showing how it's done since last summer.

Agree 100%.
They are still trying to kick the tires to see what they have. I would not be shocked if we had a big run 8-1-1 or 9-1 that these guys would hold most of their cards and try it again next year.
More than likely we'll keep floundering at/near the bottom and they will move a few pieces, but they will likely convince themselves they are only a piece or two away from mediocrity again.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
We'll get to see how pathetic JJ is with that embarrassing attempt of a check since McDavids goals will be replayed over and over for the rest of the year and im sure for the next few years. There was an overtime goal he was on the ice for that I thought was the most pathetic attempt at a check (which completely whiffed), but this one probably trumps that.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We'll get to see how pathetic JJ is with that embarrassing attempt of a check since McDavids goals will be replayed over and over for the rest of the year and im sure for the next few years. There was an overtime goal he was on the ice for that I thought was the most pathetic attempt at a check (which completely whiffed), but this one probably trumps that.

Getting burned on the rush is very visible but not a good indicator of how good a defenceman is, because it just doesn't happen that often to someone like JJ. Wiz or Tyutin, yes, but it's not one of JJs weak points. I've also seen Karlsson and Faulk and other higher profile d men get turnstiled several times this year.

And i actually thought Falk was the real culprit there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad