GDT: Game 52: Avs in LA | 8:30 PM MT | January 27, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You are sick of Landeskog, ok.... I can tell you that some of us are sick of you.

It was not like he was asking for the job, begging on his ****ing knees. He stepped up and took the responsibility he was given like a man, being the youngest captain in the NHL ever in not an easy task.

Yes, it would probably have been better to give the captaincy to an older more experienced player at the time but it was not Landos fault, he was asked to become the new team captain and you don't say no to that.

Landeskog is still young and he has a great future, he will continue to grow as a player and as a team captain.

Season after season Landeskog is the top three in team scoring and leading the team in hits.

Oh is somebody ******** because I called out one of your precious swede's?

Landeskog has played like garbage for the better part of two months, he deserved every second of what I said. Especially since he was on the ice for both goals against in the first period.

One game doesn't make up for two months of below average performances. I gave credit where credit was due last night. Landeskog played his best game in 2 months last night, and I want to see more of it.

I know he didn't beg to be captain, but could have just as easily said that he wasn't ready, which in my opinion he clearly still isn't. That was an ego call on his part, he wanted it so he took it even though he had no idea what he was in for. I can't really blame a 19 year old for doing that, because if I was 19 and someone offered me that, I wouldn't say no. But his decision, in my opinion, hasn't been for the best for this team.

I shouldn't have to read things like what Duchene said after the game about how he stood up and told the team that they looked like kids playing men. It shouldn't be Duchene doing this stuff, that should be Landeskog. **** Duchene doesn't even have an A on his jersey.

Landeskog is a good player when he plays to his abilities, which this year has been few and far between. I just don't think he should be the captain. We clearly have other leaders at this point. I'd say right now EJ or Duchene would be better choices. They seem to be the players that make the team go. I'd say Varly deserves the C as well but as we all know, he can't have it.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Duchene said it was him "and some of the others"...unless you were in the room, then you have no way to be sure Landeskog wasn't one of those guys.

Enough with the ****ing "hot takes"

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Oh is somebody ******** because I called out one of your precious swede's?

Landeskog has played like garbage for the better part of two months, he deserved every second of what I said. Especially since he was on the ice for both goals against in the first period.

One game doesn't make up for two months of below average performances. I gave credit where credit was due last night. Landeskog played his best game in 2 months last night, and I want to see more of it.

I know he didn't beg to be captain, but could have just as easily said that he wasn't ready, which in my opinion he clearly still isn't. That was an ego call on his part, he wanted it so he took it even though he had no idea what he was in for. I can't really blame a 19 year old for doing that, because if I was 19 and someone offered me that, I wouldn't say no. But his decision, in my opinion, hasn't been for the best for this team.

I shouldn't have to read things like what Duchene said after the game about how he stood up and told the team that they looked like kids playing men. It shouldn't be Duchene doing this stuff, that should be Landeskog. **** Duchene doesn't even have an A on his jersey.

Landeskog is a good player when he plays to his abilities, which this year has been few and far between. I just don't think he should be the captain. We clearly have other leaders at this point. I'd say right now EJ or Duchene would be better choices. They seem to be the players that make the team go. I'd say Varly deserves the C as well but as we all know, he can't have it.

Doesn't matter who wears the 'C' or 'A' because that alone doesn't automatically mean they are able to lead their team 24/7. It's about respect as much as it's about play. I presume they do most of the time and from what I've seen, that is the case.

The Avs are fortunate to have a bunch of leaders and that they step up when needed. Whether it's Landeskog, Duchene (remember everyone was ******** about him earlier in the season), EJ, Beauchemin (who some fans still dismiss as an old, broken down D-man), Iginla or McLeod or whomever. If any of them see something that needs to be addressed with their teammates play, then I'm all for it.

I haven't been happy with Landeskog's play earlier but I wasn't thrilled with Duchene's or Soderberg's play then either. Look at what they've done since.

Here's the bottom line. Just win.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Landeskog was unbelievable last night.
Duchene was great too. He wins so many battles. There's pucks he has no business getting to that he always ends up with after forcing a ridiculous turnover. His defensive game has come leaps and bounds and it appears he's turning into quite the leader too. Seems like all the things Duchene has been criticized about over the last few years have been addressed. He's on another level compared to any other time of his career right now.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Duchene said it was him "and some of the others"...unless you were in the room, then you have no way to be sure Landeskog wasn't one of those guys.

You're right there is no way to tell. But I'd much rather hear Duchene say something to the extent of: "Gabe stood up and called us out" not "myself and a few others called us out"

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

That's not going to stop anybody from anything, especially when Captaincy is a hell of a lot more than what you see on the ice. It's absurd.

You're right there is no way to tell. But I'd much rather hear Duchene say something to the extent of: "Gabe stood up and called us out" not "myself and a few others called us out"
So because he didn't say that, you just assume Landeskog sat there and did nothing. Much better.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Saying Duchene should be captain is harsh recency bias as far as I'm concerned. I'd qualify him as a leader on this team perhaps for the past 3 or 4 months, and beyond that I haven't particularly seen him playing up to his abilities or inspiring others to do so. I'm not as connected to the team being in Canada, but unless there are some gaping holes in Landeskog's leadership abilities, I don't see how struggling through an injury makes him a poor choice as captain when he's been as consistent as his has for this team.

burnstick

Jan 7, 2015
Have you watched any games recently? He's covering for Redmond and Bodnarchuk's mistakes on every shift.

Been at or watched every game. He is a good young D man.
And I have not seen him covering for anybody's mistakes.
Just playing his game.
Seen him get caught up ice and make a few mistakes too but don't feel a burning desire to put his play down.
Every player makes mistakes even him

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Isn't there like a two year grace period where you can't really B ***** about a top prospects play or something? I do mean *****ing specifically, and not critique.

Could have sworn I seen that in the HFBoard rule book somewhere.

We need to follow the rules.

Edit : Landeskog has clearly passed that point, Bigras has not yet.

burnstick

Jan 7, 2015
Doesn't matter who wears the 'C' or 'A' because that alone doesn't automatically mean they are able to lead their team 24/7. It's about respect as much as it's about play. I presume they do most of the time and from what I've seen, that is the case.

The Avs are fortunate to have a bunch of leaders and that they step up when needed. Whether it's Landeskog, Duchene (remember everyone was ******** about him earlier in the season), EJ, Beauchemin (who some fans still dismiss as an old, broken down D-man), Iginla or McLeod or whomever. If any of them see something that needs to be addressed with their teammates play, then I'm all for it.

I haven't been happy with Landeskog's play earlier but I wasn't thrilled with Duchene's or Soderberg's play then either. Look at what they've done since.

Here's the bottom line. Just win.

Well said thank you

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bigras' play is fair to critique but to rip on him would mean you are endorsing the alternative. He's 20 and 3 months into his pro career, I think people are just excited he's here. I don't think most even comprehend how good he really is too. So if that means he's protected :dunno:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Landy gets way too much crap here, but I don't think he looked great last night. The only difference between last night and the last few weeks/months was two goals, that mostly were products of others work.

He is clearly banged up, but Landy at 50-70% is better than any LW we've got. Otherwise we'd probably see Martinsen in the top 6.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
So I should stop calling him "Bigras the Infallible"?

Young players don't need to be infallible. They need to play and improve. Most of the veterans who might be playing in their place have basically flat lined development wise. Tanguay/Iginla have been very good or great in the recent past and there's a chance they can regain old form, or at least one can entertain the notion. But Bodnarchuck/Guenin? Maybe you could muster an argument that Redmond can get better. But none of the above are the future of the team. If there is going to be less than stellar play in these roles, better it be a young promising player who can use mistakes as a learning experience.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bigras' play is fair to critique but to rip on him would mean you are endorsing the alternative. He's 20 and 3 months into his pro career, I think people are just excited he's here. I don't think most even comprehend how good he really is too. So if that means he's protected :dunno:

Ahh the different between critiquing and *****ing

Young players don't need to be infallible. They need to play and improve. Most of the veterans who might be playing in their place have basically flat lined development wise. Tanguay/Iginla have been very good or great in the recent past and there's a chance they can regain old form, or at least one can entertain the notion. But Bodnarchuck/Guenin? Maybe you could muster an argument that Redmond can get better. But none of the above are the future of the team. If there is going to be less than stellar play in these roles, better it be a young promising player who can use mistakes as a learning experience.

I like this challenge;

See NHL player 'Nick Holden'

/argument

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Ahh the different between critiquing and *****ing

I like this challenge;

See NHL player 'Nick Holden'

/argument

Fair enough... that's why I said you could "muster" an argument. I honestly don't want to completely discount Bodnarchuck or Gormley either... they can get better. BUT, if someone really disagrees with the stance, what they got to do is argue that those players or Redmond have higher upsides or are more competent presently than Bigras or Zadorov.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Fair enough... that's why I said you could "muster" an argument. I honestly don't want to completely discount Bodnarchuck or Gormley either... they can get better. BUT, if someone really disagrees with the stance, what they got to do is argue that those players or Redmond have higher upsides or are more competent presently than Bigras or Zadorov.

I think the only person who might actually try to make that argument is behind the players bench during games.

Crazy argument or not, we all lose no matter what to that guy.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
It shouldn't shock anybody that a team has multiple leaders, and that a guy doesn't need a C or even an A to be a leader on the ice and in the locker room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad