GDT: Game 51 | WSH @ CBJ | 1/31 7:00 PM

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine and Marchenko on the 4-on-4 intrigues me. Didn't see any chemistry yet but they could develop into some kind of a forechecking line...

1-3 Washington TvR just waiting near the post...
In order to have chemistry, they would have to hold the puck and not play mostly without it. But I like Laine better with Chinakhov.

Baby line, the 4th line and Laine are playing today. I hope someone joins them in the 3rd period, or at least that one of them doesn't get knocked out. Btw, Johnny has been playing horrible already, not for the first game.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Korpi denies opportunistic Ovi, you love to see it.

3-3 Johnny! Nice top shelf. Great lob pass by Bayreuther (I feel like he's done these before too, he's got some vision).

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Marchenko almost puts home another goal after Silly's shot bounces on the goal line, but the Caps clear it away.

First line dominating the last minute of play. You love to see it? :skeptic:

Onto OT we go. Not loving the point but this has been one of our more consistent games, and we had the better third period. Feels a bit too much like the team is poised to go on a run soon. Maybe the break will take some wind out... Ok enough tank thinking, I'll enjoy the home win if it comes to that.

Reactions: majormajor

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
3-4 Kuznetsov takes it home for the Capitals, a wrister under the arm of Korpi, Laine probably took the wrong man and left Kuznetsov with too much time.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It wasn’t a great shot - Korpi should have stopped it but let it leak under his armpit

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Marchenko almost puts home another goal after Silly's shot bounces on the goal line, but the Caps clear it away.

First line dominating the last minute of play. You love to see it? :skeptic:

Onto OT we go. Not loving the point but this has been one of our more consistent games, and we had the better third period. Feels a bit too much like the team is poised to go on a run soon. Maybe the break will take some wind out... Ok enough tank thinking, I'll enjoy the home win if it comes to that.

The team looked good at times. I hope they don't go on a run but I also hope they don't look "five years away" like they have for much of this year, so I am happy with this game. Marchenko especially keeps exceeding my expectations.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
The team looked good at times. I hope they don't go on a run but I also hope they don't look "five years away" like they have for much of this year, so I am happy with this game. Marchenko especially keeps exceeding my expectations.
Was at game last night, so no benefit or replays as to what I saw. A few observations.

Agree with several recent posts thatJohnny Hockey not on his A game, but he’s not playing as poorly as some comment. Too many turnovers but the effort is there and the elite skill is obvious. And a nice goal to tie it in the 3rd. Someday he will have linemates that accentuate his game.

Not sure what I see with Laine. Not shooting the puck much last night, not really looking for the puck.. He wasn’t horrible but he wasn’t great either - and clearly his mistake on coverage on OT Cap goal. His value is as a goal scorer or as a threat to score to draw focus away from others - didn’t see much of either last night.

Kid line was solid all night. You can see Sillinger thinking the game a bit too much, whereas KJ and Marchenko appear to just play. I think that overthinking exacerbates Sillinger’s less-than-stellar skating. But thought I saw baby steps of improvement. As for Marchenko, even though he didn’t score or have his A game is still really impressive physically and with compete level. KJ showed great vision and stick handling at times - the thing that I saw most “live” is that he will benefit big time from an offseason of strength training. When his space is taken away, he struggles to maintain the puck and drive play. Just a few more times of getting through a check will cause 4-6 more scoring chances for his line.

Korpi solid.

Not much else stood out one way or the other. Maybe that’s a step forward all by itself!

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
They have been playing much better for a while now , thinking back, right around the time Marchenko was called up. Peeke and Boquist seem to have really settled in, and when you think about it , have had tough matchups with all the injuries … Jarmo this past weekend again talked about sending the young guys down to Cleveland , for a playoff push … so we may see Marchenko, Kj, Sillinger , sent down soon . I think Larsen most likely is returning next season , and honestly with nearly half his roster out at times , he’s probably earned that right , even sitting in last place currently . I think we see a new goalie coach brought in, as well as a respected defensive coach to take over coaching the defenseman in the offseason

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Was at game last night, so no benefit or replays as to what I saw. A few observations.

Not sure what I see with Laine. Not shooting the puck much last night, not really looking for the puck.. He wasn’t horrible but he wasn’t great either - and clearly his mistake on coverage on OT Cap goal. His value is as a goal scorer or as a threat to score to draw focus away from others - didn’t see much of either last night.

Kid line was solid all night. You can see Sillinger thinking the game a bit too much, whereas KJ and Marchenko appear to just play. I think that overthinking exacerbates Sillinger’s less-than-stellar skating. But thought I saw baby steps of improvement. As for Marchenko, even though he didn’t score or have his A game is still really impressive physically and with compete level. KJ showed great vision and stick handling at times - the thing that I saw most “live” is that he will benefit big time from an offseason of strength training. When his space is taken away, he struggles to maintain the puck and drive play. Just a few more times of getting through a check will cause 4-6 more scoring chances for his line.

Korpi solid.

Not much else stood out one way or the other. Maybe that’s a step forward all by itself!
I don't see any reason to apologize Johnny. He wasn't injured, isn't young, inexperienced guy. His transition isn't ideal, lost the puck, can't win battles at the boards. If he's a star, you should his linemates better what I didn't see. Although he has played with very good players.

D-men can't support forwards what is enough a big problem. There isn't any system, only Gudbranson can often pass, support forwards. I hope Boqvis and Blankenburg will return already 02/10.

Kent has a lack of strength. His play at the boards is terrible. But it's obvious that he's a great talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad