GDT: Game 51 | Bruins @ Rangers RIVALRY NIGHT 8PM NBCSN, TVA, 98.5

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
What the Bruins really need to do is find a strong defensive player to play with Dougie on D2...and let Seids play with Chara. Yes, they'd be slow. But I think you'd get the most out of both guys at this point in their careers.

But man, I keep hearing Dougie is going to take over for Chara...ohhhh...mmmm...not sure on that...

Too slow to play together anymore in my opinion.Not saying they still can't be effective . Too many no show's tonight . If Soderberg is going to be totally useless without Loui why not move him up with Krejci and Smith can go down to line 3.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
They are back to shooting when they should be passing and vice versa. Who shoots the puck right to the defender's chest at a blue line? I know, I know, the Bruins do!

They were trying to make plays where there was no play to be made.

We are expecting too much from the Ds.

They end up with three guys below the goal line in the offensive zone too often. They have no clue that they are all there and pass the puck to the slot. :rant::shakehead:help::rant:

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
We make backups look great. Why? Because we have no scorers. How Jean jacket and red eye racketeering think this team is a contender cracks me up.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Apart from Clode's decision making in the last 2 minutes, I don't think there's a whole lot from his perspective that can be done. In terms of changing the lines, I think they are as good as it gets right now. I mean, you can keep swapping Eriksson/Smith/Pastrnak but I don't think there is a certain combination that puts the team over the top.

I think you've basically hit a wall with this team right now and what needs to happen is roster improvements at the deadline. I mean, when it's February and you can't really say who your top line RW is that's a bit of a problem if you're supposed to be a Cup contender.

And if we roll into the playoffs with a McQuaid/Seids pairing it's going to be picked apart by teams with solid offensive depth. We need a top 4 D and a top 6/9 forward if we want to go far in the playoffs, IMO. The needs have not changed other than not necessarily needing a top 6, it could be a top 9.

I think we are much better than we were before the new year. The effort is there and mentally they are in the right place. But I don't think we're as good as our 8-1-1 record indicated. I think that's how good Rask was. I don't think he was particularly great tonight and I don't think we're set up to deal with it when he isn't. I'm not upset about the loss tonight. I don't think we had a great game but ultimately NYR were the stronger team in my eyes.

Until we get the help we need when we face a solid team we will live and die by the play of Rask. It'll get us to the deadline and into the playoffs but there needs to be roster improvement to go deep in the playoffs and contend.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Apart from Clode's decision making in the last 2 minutes, I don't think there's a whole lot from his perspective that can be done. In terms of changing the lines, I think they are as good as it gets right now. I mean, you can keep swapping Eriksson/Smith/Pastrnak but I don't think there is a certain combination that puts the team over the top.

I think you've basically hit a wall with this team right now and what needs to happen is roster improvements at the deadline. I mean, when it's February and you can't really say who your top line RW is that's a bit of a problem if you're supposed to be a Cup contender.

And if we roll into the playoffs with a McQuaid/Seids pairing it's going to be picked apart by teams with solid offensive depth. We need a top 4 D and a top 6/9 forward if we want to go far in the playoffs, IMO. The needs have not changed other than not necessarily needing a top 6, it could be a top 9.

I think we are much better than we were before the new year. The effort is there and mentally they are in the right place. But I don't think we're as good as our 8-1-1 record indicated. I think that's how good Rask was. I don't think he was particularly great tonight and I don't think we're set up to deal with it when he isn't. I'm not upset about the loss tonight. I don't think we had a great game but ultimately NYR were the stronger team in my eyes.

Until we get the help we need when we face a solid team we will live and die by the play of Rask. It'll get us to the deadline and into the playoffs but there needs to be roster improvement to go deep in the playoffs and contend

Agree with all of this 100%. I didn't feel our defensive looked any better during the stretch than it did before. The offensive has been better since Krejci came back, but Rask's elevated play covered up a lot of defensive gaffs. I'm not even sure we played better against the Rangers last time we played, Rask just was on his game.

If Rask goes on a hot streak in the playoffs, we will win the cup. I might be biased, but I feel that Rask's top play is better than just about any other goalie in the league. The problem is if he's at anything less than, say, 75% (which is about where he was tonight) we will lose because the team in front of him isn't good enough. Either they won't provide the offensive support or the defensive will leave him out to dry.

While having a great goalie is awesome, depending on that goalie to win anything is a recipe for disaster. Teams like that (Habs) get picked apart come playoffs. We need defense and we need it now.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
We make backups look great. Why? Because we have no scorers. How Jean jacket and red eye racketeering think this team is a contender cracks me up.

I'm not happy with how the team performed tonight, but I'm sick of reading this simplistic "we made their backup look good because we suck" ********. Every ****ing team who loses to a backup has a handful of fans who feel the need to post this and somehow define the team on losing while a backup goaltender was in net. It ****ing happens. It does not define what the team is.

For the record, I don't think this team is a contender as it stands right now. We're going in with basically the same aging D corps that wasn't good enough last season. Does not seem like a winning strategy in any logical sense. But, it has nothing to do with losing to a "backup goaltender." Rangers were the better team tonight and deserved to win.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast

Until we get the help we need when we face a solid team we will live and die by the play of Rask. It'll get us to the deadline and into the playoffs but there needs to be roster improvement to go deep in the playoffs and contend.

You hit the nail on the head.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Agree 100% also. And also agree with agreen36's post a few below yours, but I can't multi-quote on mobile.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
They are back to shooting when they should be passing and vice versa. Who shoots the puck right to the defender's chest at a blue line? I know, I know, the Bruins do!

They were trying to make plays where there was no play to be made.

We are expecting too much from the Ds.

They end up with three guys below the goal line in the offensive zone too often. They have no clue that they are all there and pass the puck to the slot. :rant::shakehead:help::rant:

The Bruins got 21 on net tonight, so whatever you are trying to say...it's just plain not enough, especially against Talbot.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Its been said to death, but I think Bs need help down back a lot more than they do up front. Marshy had an off game, Looch was quiet after his snipe, Smith was useless again (how many times can one guy miss the net) and Krejci was quiet, the D was getting pummelled and it exposed us, we need Sekera down there so everyone can slot into their rightful positions, then next season cut the **** and give Morrow a spot, or sit Miller and give Bart another shot. Miller needs to learn he hasn't got the danglez so stop trying to dangle every game

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bart and Morrow need to get into some game action. Although I like Quaider and Miller,
Bart and Morrow IMO are going to develop into more when they reach their primes. They need to play.

AND THIS
At this point, I'd like to see Bart back out there with Seids. McQuaid and Seids are far too slow and get burnt game in and game out. I'd really love to see Morrow get another shot there.

I'm not feeling Miller either. Neither he nor McQuaid have been very impressive lately. Having both in the line up is a massive mistake in my opinion.

Fire Clodearelli~``~~`~~

LOL>>>Creative!:nod: Not sure if Claude needs to go but Chiarelli is most likely being watched fairly closely by the boys "upstairs."

Agree with all of this 100%. I didn't feel our defensive looked any better during the stretch than it did before. The offensive has been better since Krejci came back, but Rask's elevated play covered up a lot of defensive gaffs. I'm not even sure we played better against the Rangers last time we played, Rask just was on his game.

If Rask goes on a hot streak in the playoffs, we will win the cup. I might be biased, but I feel that Rask's top play is better than just about any other goalie in the league. The problem is if he's at anything less than, say, 75% (which is about where he was tonight) we will lose because the team in front of him isn't good enough. Either they won't provide the offensive support or the defensive will leave him out to dry.

While having a great goalie is awesome, depending on that goalie to win anything is a recipe for disaster. Teams like that (Habs) get picked apart come playoffs. We need defense and we need it now.

I see what you're saying but the Habs haven't been picked apart by the B's in a Looooong time well before '11.
We do need more D and we need forwards who know where the net is.
BTW: Pastrnak had a nice hit on a Ranger D-man tonight.:yo:

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Question....are the Bruins a average or slow team?
I know the Rangers are fast, but have never seen them in a game show such an edge over the Bruins.
It used to be, the Bruins would have the puck 2/3rds of the game and the Rangers would just block shots.

Was this an off night or is this how the Bruins are currently constructed.
Smaller, slower post 2011?

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Wow. What a rivalry. That was intense!

My dad is Ranger fans from the 1960s.
He hates the Bruins because of the 70s and still considers them a bigger rival than anybody aside from the Islanders.
I guess he is one of the few.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
As much as I hate to admit it after Boychuk was deemed expendable, we need another top four dman. Hamilton just can't be relied upon to play a top 3 role at this point. Unfortunately, it will be very hard to acquire the defenseman we need via trade.

Bartkowski should be playing IMO. He's at least as good defensively as Dougie (better if you ask me), and among the other candidates has the skillset which is most suited to a top four role. He is young, has performed well in his opportunities this year and is too good to be sitting on the bench. With only about 100 NHL games under his belt and some stretches of excellent play (including in the playoffs), he is not the proven failure some of you make him out to be. He should be out there gaining experience so that he can be a reliable player for us in the playoffs.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Agree with you there Taro but it seems like this front office has become entrenched in their mindset. They display lots of contradictions and refuse to try anything that may seem a little out of their comfort zone. It looks as though they're going to let the year run its course and dump Bart (not re-sign him) if they don't trade him prior to the trade deadline.
I don't understand how the B's brain-trust thinks, they play a player way above his "station" and then if he has a miscue he's no good and isn't given another chance. That's thinking like a fan in the cheap seats if you ask me. Bart and Morrow should be playing ahead of or at least as much as McQuaid and Miller and a lot more than Trotman but it doesn't work that way in Boston. I like the toughness of M&M but they have no finesse at all, Bart is a very good skater and moves the puck out efficiently and Morrow was starting to really look like something in his last stretch. It would make sense if Clode were to play a slightly different defensive "look" against each team, similar to baseball pitching. Against faster teams play Bart and/or Morrow, against tougher teams M&M. It's also a good way to keep opposing scouts confused. It's baffling to say the least.

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Question....are the Bruins a average or slow team?
I know the Rangers are fast, but have never seen them in a game show such an edge over the Bruins.
It used to be, the Bruins would have the puck 2/3rds of the game and the Rangers would just block shots.

Was this an off night or is this how the Bruins are currently constructed.
Smaller, slower post 2011?

Rangers played better,2 weeks ago the Bruins beat them 3-0.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Missed this one as "Rivalry Night" on Sportsnet had the Penguins vs the Oilers.....solid

They don`t refer to it as Rivalry night on Sportsnet but....

doesn`t sound like I missed much

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
If Soderberg is going to be totally useless without Loui why not move him up with Krejci and Smith can go down to line 3.

Because Soderberg is also only effective when he plays center, for whatever reason, they played him on the wing before and he sucked. They could move DK to wing but they don't/he doesn't seem to like to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad