GDT: Game 51: Blackhawks @ Sabres - 2/1 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
cut.jpg

Game Preview: 2/1/19 vs. Chicago

LAST GAME
Wednesday, January 30
Buffalo 0 at Dallas 1
Goals: N/A
Goalie: Ullmark (26 saves/27 shots)
PP: 0/1; PK: 1/1; Shots: Buffalo 30 – Dallas 27

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 175)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 21 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, Feb. 5: Minnesota at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 7: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 9: Detroit at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 10: Winnipeg at Buffalo, 3 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 12: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
BLACKHAWKS at SABRES

• This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Blackhawks this season.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Chicago 5-3 in Buffalo on March 17, 2018
  • Next meeting: Thursday, March 7 in Chicago
  • The Sabres are 1-6-3 in their last 10 games vs. the Blackhawks; 2-6-2 at home.
  • This is the 122nd game all-time between Buffalo and Chicago; Buffalo has a 54-51-16 series record.
  • The Sabres are 35-18-8 at home against the Blackhawks all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
  • The Sabres are 6-6-5 all-time on February 1.
  • February 1, 1976: Gilbert Perreault records two goals and five assists as the Sabres pick up a 9-5 road win against the California Seals. Danny Gare and the Seals’ Jim Moxey and Wayne Merrick all score goals within 18 seconds of each other in the third period.
  • February 1, 1981: Ric Seiling scores the 3,000th goal in franchise history and Don Edwards records his 13th shutout as a member of the Sabres, as Buffalo defeats Winnipeg 4-0 at home.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
  • The Sabres are back in Buffalo for their first game at KeyBank Center since Jan. 12. Tonight’s matchup kicks off a seven-game homestand that ties the stretch from Jan. 20 to Feb. 2, 1997 as the longest in franchise history.
  • After picking up a 5-3 win when these teams last met on March 17, 2018, the Sabres are seeking wins in consecutive meetings with the Blackhawks for the first time since they won three in a row from Dec. 3, 2003 to Dec. 15, 2007.
  • Jason Pominville has totaled nine points (4+5) in his last nine games against Chicago.
  • Jeff Skinner has totaled six points (2+4) in his last six meetings with the Blackhawks.
  • Jack Eichel has recorded a point in five of six career matchups with the Blackhawks, including each of the last four (1+3).
  • Remi Elie recorded a point in each of his four games against Chicago (1+3) in 2017-18.
  • Rasmus Ristolainen has recorded six assists in his last seven games against the Blackhawks.
  • Sam Reinhart is expected to appear in his 300th NHL game tonight.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It should be a pretty entertaining game. Chicago plays pretty loose and seems content trading chances. I think we may actually see some goals. Not by Sobotka, of course, but by other Sabres.

Playing a bottom-3 team, no excuses. Gotta get 2 here.

Chicago has more points than we do since our streak ended. I'll show myself out.

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sabres rebound with a 5-4 win

One of Sobotka, Larsson, Girgensons, Okposo, Dahlin, Pominville, Mitts, Scandella, Bogo, Sheary, Thompson, or Hutton get a goal!
:sarcasm:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It won't happen but I would like to see...

Skinner-Eichel-Rodrigues
Thompson-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Sheary-Sobotka-Pominville (Sheary-Wilson-Smith eventually, even though Wilson is not a C)
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Dahlin-Bogosian
Pilut-Ristolainen
McCabe-Hunwick/Beaulieu

Ullmark getting the majority of starts

Reactions: DatGuy

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
It should be a pretty entertaining game. Chicago plays pretty loose and seems content trading chances. I think we may actually see some goals. Not by Sobotka, of course, but by other Sabres.

Chicago has more points than we do since our streak ended. I'll show myself out.
There are maybe 2 teams that don't unfortunately. That span is now half of our season, and over two months long

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
It won't happen but I would like to see...

Skinner-Eichel-Rodrigues
Thompson-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Sheary-Sobotka-Pominville (Sheary-Wilson-Smith eventually, even though Wilson is not a C)
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Dahlin-Bogosian
Pilut-Ristolainen
McCabe-Hunwick/Beaulieu

Ullmark getting the majority of starts
Smith over Pominville or Okposo Yesterday.

Reactions: debaser66

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Why is friggin Sobotka on the 2nd line, and Okposo on the 4th? I really really wish Sam was, or could, play center. Him at center would be a huge difference for this team.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Why is friggin Sobotka on the 2nd line, and Okposo on the 4th? I really really wish Sam was, or could, play center. Him at center would be a huge difference for this team.
Because hes Leino-esque in his performance but a vet so he gets a roster spot over any other player/prospect who is deserving and could score more then 0 times in the past 34 f***ing games.

Reactions: dasaybz

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Wish they'd swap Pominville to 1st line and Reinhart to carry the corpse of Sobotka.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I'm happy Pilut is back in the lineup, but just hate that he'll be saddled with Scandella. He makes Risto so much better than he really is, which McCabe does not. McCabe is not a good Top 4 guy at this juncture.

Reactions: Willgamesh

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
We may need to ride a hot goalie if we want to stay in the race.

Is there anyone left who doesn’t want to give the reins to Ullmark right now??

If you mean giving Ullmark the vast majority of the starts...
Me personally I’d rather see as close to a 50/50 split as possible.
That will give Ullmark a ton more games than his current pace.

Just my preference :dunno:

Reactions: Sabreality

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Wish they'd swap Pominville to 1st line and Reinhart to carry the corpse of Sobotka.
Scratch Sobotka and force Sam to play center. Does he not want to play there anymore? There's probably no hope for him there anymore is there?

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Well that's brilliant. Ullmark holds the Stars to one but sure, let's keep with the rotation rather than letting the younger guy gain any momentum.
And after all the talk about earning your spot. cool huh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad