GDT: Game #51 - 02.05.15 - vs Tampa Bay - 7:30 PM - FS Southwest+ - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
It would have been real nice to have the picks to get Boychuk in the summer. You can also toss one to get negotiating rights to a goalie as well.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
But what are we taking about selling? Cole and Daley are probably the most attractive options. Even if it makes sense to sell high on them, don't expect to get anything that will help next season. Chances are the return will be picks or prospects still a couple of seasons away from contributing.

Honestly, I'd rather take a few seasons for the prospects to make an impact. It's better than letting Cole walk, especially with his scoring touch lately.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Can we be a little more original than blaming the coaching staff? Maybe just maybe it's not their fault.

Remember the Gully years? That's bad coaching.

NukeJukes43

Can we be a little more original than blaming the coaching staff? Maybe just maybe it's not their fault.

Remember the Gully years? That's bad coaching.

It's not Ruff. But Fraser and Valley are definitely a problem.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
It's not Ruff. But Fraser and Valley are definitely a problem.

Maybe. I'm just tired of everyone blaming the coaching season after season. Even in the ruff* stretches last year people blamed the coaching despite it being a big reason why we made the playoffs.

*I'll show myself out.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Well as a coaching aside I have a big issue with Jokipakka-Daley being paired against TBL's top line for the entire game yesterday. It means that they either didn't actually scout the Lightning at all or they chose to put a weak defensive pair against the top offensive line.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Well as a coaching aside I have a big issue with Jokipakka-Daley being paired against TBL's top line for the entire game yesterday. It means that they either didn't actually scout the Lightning at all or they chose to put a weak defensive pair against the top offensive line.

I agree with you. I understand that your intention wasn't the coaching with your post but focusing on a weird match ups. But I want to use your comment as an argument for my case on why changing the coach (which I assume people who dislike the coaching staff or the assistants would want).

Coaches always does seemingly weird things from the perspective of the fan. I myself hate the weird stuff they do. But it's just not Ruff or Patrick (Fraser can be fired into the sun for all I care) almost every coach does that and the fans start to complain about it when things go south. Mike Babcock who is probably one of the two best coaches in the world right now does weird **** aswell. He played Daniel Cleary in a top six role, he and Holland let superior young prospects sit in the minors while garbage veterans top all the spots (similar to Schlemko and Jordie right now). Go to every board and you see this stuff, especially in a losing streak. As I said I have seen Hawks fans complain about Quenneville, they have won two friggin cups. LA fans were complaining about Sutter's system until they won a cup with it. Dan Byslma is according to Pens fans the worst coach ever, and he won a Adams (though the Adams trophy is a joke). Hitchcock is starting to get questioned in St.Louis as they haven't gone deep into the playoffs.

Why we all is down on the coaching staff is for three reasons. One: Not good enough D, when Jordie is playing hockey games you know you have a problem. Two: Horrible PP this season. And the most important, three: Goaltending.

Last season Varlamov won Roy an adams behind a D full of Jordie's. Roy didn't win his adams because he was a good coach but because of unreal goaltending. This season the Stars is getting terrible goaltending, who gets the blame? Patrick and Ruff. What I'm trying to say with this paragraph is that goaltending really affects the perception of how well the fans and media thinks the coaching staff is doing. Like the hockey saying: "Show me a good coach and I'll show you a good goaltender."

I'm not saying that Ruff is the best coach but I like the Red Wings style better than changing coaches every two years like we do now. It is not good for the players.

That said criticism Ruff is natural to do, we're fans that's what we do. I do that all the time. But calling for either Ruff or Patricks head as I got the impression that I sense a few people here is close to doing is kind off ridiculous. Though I apologize if I got the wrong impression.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
^^ Not going to quote your whole post but I agree. I'm not in favor of firing Ruff at all. What I do what to see is Valley and Fraser getting fired after they have clearly shown over years that they are bad at their jobs. Holding the assistant coaches accountable will make everyone better. The other coaches will recognize that they aren't getting a free pass forever. The players will see that their bad play will bring consequences for other people so hopefully they'll step things up. And the coaching replacements will probably be better.

And as for the matchups I'm not expecting the coaches to watch every TBL game. But it's been a common theme this season that bad teams match the wrong lines against Tampa. Good teams know which the real top line is and have matched their lines accordingly. I was hoping to see Klingberg out against Johnson's line and I was disappointed to be wrong. That is a mistake that is 100% on the coaching staff. Although I guess there's comfort in the fact that Jordie wasn't matched against them.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
^^ Not going to quote your whole post but I agree. I'm not in favor of firing Ruff at all. What I do what to see is Valley and Fraser getting fired after they have clearly shown over years that they are bad at their jobs. Holding the assistant coaches accountable will make everyone better. The other coaches will recognize that they aren't getting a free pass forever. The players will see that their bad play will bring consequences for other people so hopefully they'll step things up. And the coaching replacements will probably be better.

And as for the matchups I'm not expecting the coaches to watch every TBL game. But it's been a common theme this season that bad teams match the wrong lines against Tampa. Good teams know which the real top line is and have matched their lines accordingly. I was hoping to see Klingberg out against Johnson's line and I was disappointed to be wrong. That is a mistake that is 100% on the coaching staff. Although I guess there's comfort in the fact that Jordie wasn't matched against them.

Yeah I agree. It one of those things, Ruff seems to be one of those coaches who hate to put rookies like Klingberg (but not Jokkipaka in that game for some weird reason) in "hard" spots. I think he's too careful but I guess the Myers saga kind off made him scared of relying on/"rushing" rookies, so I can see what he's coming from even though I hate it. But I think Klingberg is eventually force his hand, or we're going to have to bang our heads against the wall for the rest of the season. :help:

Last edited:

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
What D pair would have worked better?

A pairing that doesn't include a rookie that's been scratched like 15 times this season. Do you think other teams play their Jokipakkas against our top line ? The point isn't even the pairings themselves but the fact that the coaching staff didn't know what Tampa's top line was.

To put it in perspective there is only one team in the past month+ that hasn't matched their top defensive pairings against the Johnson line and that team was the Oilers.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The other options were Goligoski-Klingberg, the pair who got overrun for the tying goal of the Avs game and lead to people crying bloody murder about having them out there at that time. Or there is Demers-Jordie, which we all know would lead to cries of bloody murder for daring to put Jordie out there against Stamkos.

I agree that I would rather see better d-men out there, but they aren't on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad