GDT: Game 50: Sabres vs Stars - 1/30 8:30pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
About a year after that event, I was on the same flight from LAX to DFW with Hull. He was sitting in Seat 1A in First Class, I was in the first row of Coach. I didn't get to speak to him on the flight, but I ran into him at baggage claim and talked to him while he waited for his bag:

Me: You're Brett Hull?

BH: Yeah.

Me: [general comments about the just finished season, leading into talk of 1999].... So, about that goal-

BH: [visibly wincing] Yeah, that goal. I still catch crap for that. I'll be lining up for a faceoff and the guy from the other team will push into me and say, 'You know that wasn't a goal, right?' But what was I supposed to do? The puck was there, I put it in the net. I would've wanted to score a highlight reel goal, but the refs called it a good goal and I couldn't take it back if I wanted to.

Me: Hey, my nephew plays hockey, can you sign your boarding card for him? His name is Matt.

BH: [signs card, "To Matt, good luck in hockey Brett Hull", hands it to me]

Me: Thanks. I'll give this to him when I go up to visit my family in Buffalo this summer.

BH: [visibly winces again then gives me a wry smile]

So if I read this correctly, you had an entire flight and at least five minutes face-to-face to devise a plan to shank Brett Hull, and you chose an autograph? If so, this will be the main topic at my next therapy session.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I comfort myself believing that Buffalo didn't have a chance in game 7 back at Dallas. My therapist says that most delusions are bad, but that this one is a good coping mechanism. She says I'm doing very well lately. The twitches haven't come back in a while.
I have much stronger memories of disappointment about the letdown against Carolina, going into the 3rd of the game seven with a lead. It never really felt like we were in the driver's seat against Dallas, at least not for me. That whole season leading up to the Carolina game seven it felt like we owned the whole league and dictated every game. Heartbreaking to go out like that, and then watch Carolina beat an Oilers team we could have beaten as well.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I have much stronger memories of disappointment about the letdown against Carolina, going into the 3rd of the game seven with a lead. It never really felt like we were in the driver's seat against Dallas, at least not for me. That whole season leading up to the Carolina game seven it felt like we owned the whole league and dictated every game. Heartbreaking to go out like that, and then watch Carolina beat an Oilers team we could have beaten as well.

I was at Carolina for Game 7, or as I call it at my therapy sessions, "The beginning of the end of everything that was ever right in my sad and pathetic existence".

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I was at Carolina for Game 7, or as I call it at my therapy sessions, "The beginning of the end of everything that was ever right in my sad and pathetic existence".
I think your first misstep was pinning your hopes and happiness to a Buffalo sports team. I learned not to do that in 1991. And every year after that for quite a while. ;)

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
About a year after that event, I was on the same flight from LAX to DFW with Hull. He was sitting in Seat 1A in First Class, I was in the first row of Coach. I didn't get to speak to him on the flight, but I ran into him at baggage claim and talked to him while he waited for his bag:

Me: You're Brett Hull?

BH: Yeah.

Me: [general comments about the just finished season, leading into talk of 1999].... So, about that goal-

BH: [visibly wincing] Yeah, that goal. I still catch crap for that. I'll be lining up for a faceoff and the guy from the other team will push into me and say, 'You know that wasn't a goal, right?' But what was I supposed to do? The puck was there, I put it in the net. I would've wanted to score a highlight reel goal, but the refs called it a good goal and I couldn't take it back if I wanted to.

Me: Hey, my nephew plays hockey, can you sign your boarding card for him? His name is Matt.

BH: [signs card, "To Matt, good luck in hockey Brett Hull", hands it to me]

Me: Thanks. I'll give this to him when I go up to visit my family in Buffalo this summer.

BH: [visibly winces again then gives me a wry smile]

Hull sounds like Trump apologizing because he won via the Electoral College.

"Hey, it's not my fault. Here.... you can have my ring and I'll let you erase my name off the Cup".

Reactions: oldgoalie

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Housley is going make an announcement: "The Buffalo Sabres have acquired Tyler Seguin to fulfill undisclosed terms of the Taylor Fedun trade. Vladimir Sobotka will remain in the lineup while Seguin takes several weeks to learn the system".

You need to take it easy when inhaling adult beverages so early in the morning....

Reactions: Daz28 and Doohickie

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

"Hey, it's not my fault. Here.... you can have my ring and I'll let you erase my name off the Cup".

No he doesn’t. Trump would say he played by the rules at the time, which is what he planned to do. Then would call Buffalo a bunch of losers.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I wasn't as upset about Carolina because after our whole D core got injured I didn't think we had a chance in game 7.I was proud it was that close and yes if we were healthy we easily would have beat Carolina and Edmonton.Dallas I was more upset because the league would call no goal if a skatelace was in crease but yet they don't call Brett Hull who had both skates in crease!To top it off I hated Brett Hull lol

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013

He was a pretty down-to-earth guy to be honest. It was hard to harbor any hate for the guy after that convo. I'm not suggesting you forgive him or anything, but as much as I think it was No Goal, it's hard to blame him for doing what a goal scorer does. The fault for that night is squarely on the officiating.

I'm sure the Saints can sympathize. Stuff happens.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
He was a pretty down-to-earth guy to be honest. It was hard to harbor any hate for the guy after that convo. I'm not suggesting you forgive him or anything, but as much as I think it was No Goal, it's hard to blame him for doing what a goal scorer does. The fault for that night is squarely on the officiating.
Yeah my hatred at 99 has always been at the officiating/league. Especially after hearing things like the league and refs knowing it wasn't a goal and just choosing not to review it using the replay rules at the time because the Dallas players were already back in the room after the "goal" and the league didn't want the embarrassment of calling them back out of the locker room to restart the game. idk if it was an article or documentary but I remember hearing/reading something to that effect within the past few years. And then changing the rule the next season and acting like that excused the missed call since the intended to change the rule all along.

Reactions: oldgoalie

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I comfort myself believing that Buffalo didn't have a chance in game 7 back at Dallas. My therapist says that most delusions are bad, but that this one is a good coping mechanism. She says I'm doing very well lately. The twitches haven't come back in a while.

I think the Sabres would have been the fresher team as they were younger, if my mind serves me correctly, and I wouldn’t have bet against Hasek in a Game 7 with the whole world watching.

Thanks for tearing off that scab.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad