GDT: Game # 50 - Rangers @ Senators - 5pm EST - MSG

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Every game will be a dog fight, close battles, low scoring, playoff type games. No team can be underestimated.

And it will SEEM like every team ahead and right below us will win the rest of the way.

Canes are playing the Pens right now. Just hope it doesn't go to OT where 3 pts are gained.

It's a physical law of the universe that those games will go to OT.

Reactions: ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
And there's a good chance we will face Filip Gustaavsson in net. He has lost his last 5 games, allowing no less than 4 goals a game.

And if Forsburg is in net, who played yesterday, it will be his 4th game in 8 days.

Either way we should light them up.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
NHL needs a rule change because the fact that some games are worth more in the standings than others is bush league.

I would be surprised if you could find a worse point system in any other sports league. I try not to dwell on it, because it drives me nuts.

Reactions: Fitzy

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
And there's a good chance we will face Filip Gustaavsson in net. He has lost his last 5 games, allowing no less than 4 goals a game.

And if Forsburg is in net, who played yesterday, it will be his 4th game in 8 days.

Youre seriously overestimating this teams offensive output

Reactions: Cmox

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Youre seriously overestimating this teams offensive output
I don't think so. We recently scored 5 goals or better against FLA, TOR and ARI.

That was before the break. But as I said, OTT is banged up and tired playing their 9th game in 14 days. We should roll over them, being healthy and shaking off the rust, if we take care of business.

I see big games for Panarin, Zibad and Fox. They were all kind of unlucky last game. They had great chances to score. And with Gustaavsson in net, who hasn't played in a month, and hasn't won a game since November, I'm optimistic they will score often tonight, especially with the netminder not getting much help from his teammates who are nowhere near 100%.

I will be very disappointed if we don't cruise to victory after our usual slow start. I'll bet we are heavily favorite to win this game under the circumstances.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I would be surprised if you could find a worse point system in any other sports league. I try not to dwell on it, because it drives me nuts.

I don't love that in most world football leagues, a win is worth 3 points and a draw is 1 for each team.

For the same reason, more or less.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't love that in most world football leagues, a win is worth 3 points and a draw is 1 for each team.

But it's worked.

Almost 60% of top-flight matches used to end in draws, and now it's closer to one-third.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
But it's worked.

Almost 60% of top-flight matches used to end in draws, and now it's closer to one-third.

Frankly there's a lot about the sport that I'd change if I could, but world football is so set in it's ways that they'd never consider major rule changes.

The arbitrariness of the timing is the worst offense. I don't need 16 time-outs like in football or basketball, but I certainly don't need a game where guys try to sit on the ball after a goal to prevent running it back to the center circle quickly, or who walk off slowly to kill clock.

Throw-in rules are also terribly and arbitrarily enforced.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Frankly there's a lot about the sport that I'd change if I could, but world football is so set in it's ways that they'd never consider major rule changes.

The arbitrariness of the timing is the worst offense. I don't need 16 time-outs like in football or basketball, but I certainly don't need a game where guys try to sit on the ball after a goal to prevent running it back to the center circle quickly, or who walk off slowly to kill clock.

Throw-in rules are also terribly and arbitrarily enforced.
I'm fine with things being arbitrary if they make the product better.

There are things to be worked on for sure, but three points for a win has increased offense and slashed the number of ties. That's what everyone wants.

The NHL system is certainly strange, but they're between a rock and a hard place. Nobody wanted ties, but the games have to be settled, so now we have points system designed around a tiebreaker because a tiebreaker is what we have.

While it's certainly frustrating to watch particularly mediocre opponents pick up points for effectively losing contests, I don't miss the days of both teams completely packing it in with 12:37 to go in the third.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Yeah, that's basically the same flaw, except erring on the side of rewarding teams for being able to win in regulation instead of rewarding the teams that are able to drag games to overtime the most.

I don't know if it's for faux parity, or so they can keep comparing historical point totals, but whatever the NHL's reasoning is, I genuinely find it insulting to the fanbase. Surely they all know how unfair the system is to good teams.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Shutout incoming for Sens. Don’t you know teams break their losing streak vs any Rangers team

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Shutout incoming for Sens. Don’t you know teams break their losing streak vs any Rangers team
Sens aren't on losing streak. Only Gustaavsson is. Hasn't won a game since November. Hasn't allowed less than 4 goals in a game in that time, playing only 5 games. He's their 3rd string backup and hasn't played in a month.

What you said doesn't make sense and is very negative. This is possibly the only game after the break, where the odds heavily favor us to come away with a big win. The Sens are banged up and tired and we are fresh and healthy. It shouldn't be a close game.

Even if Gustaavsson stands on his head, he will get no support from his teammates as this is their 9th game in two weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: DialUp

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
It is a bit frustrating to know that we will never get a real detailed answer as to why Nemeth coming off a layoff gives us a better chance to win than Jones.

Reactions: CLW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad