GDT: Game #50: Coyotes @ Predators- 6:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I don’t put this game directly on our D, more so on the forwards who were too willing to play the defensive side of the puck exclusively. The breakouts suffered and the offensive threat died.
Maybe not directly but a lot of oof. That first goal with Valimaki (and okay he scored latter but...) just want to ask him what is it he was doing there.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
This was a meaningful game. I think a lot of us are putting the cart before the horse.
my cynical and sarcastic comment was aimed at BA comment that the team wanted to play “meaningful games” in April. Aint happening this yr

I don’t put this game directly on our D, more so on the forwards who were too willing to play the defensive side of the puck exclusively. The breakouts suffered and the offensive threat died.
that is an interesting take. maybe the D part of the game has been “over coached”?

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Our problems are on D, that is where we need upgrades.

We just lost 2 close games against 2 decent teams. We were in both games, that is kind of who we are. We had low 70 points last year, this year low 80s likely, 10 point improvement, thats where we are, its progress. Now if BA hadn't waited a year to "evaluate" we might be low to mid 90s this year, year 4 of the rebuild, maybe playoffs, we need to be at that level next year.

The defense goes without saying, it has to be addressed.

And what if BA didnt evaluate for a season and AT wasn't available and we got stuck with Keefe. Or maybe BA took the best offer on Keller and kept Dvo. Moved Schmaltz but kept Garland? Could have been a disaster if he shot from the hip. Moving OEL early is the only thing he missed on, and he still made up for it.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
The defense goes without saying, it has to be addressed.

And what if BA didnt evaluate for a season and AT wasn't available and we got stuck with Keefe. Or maybe BA took the best offer on Keller and kept Dvo. Moved Schmaltz but kept Garland? Could have been a disaster if he shot from the hip. Moving OEL early is the only thing he missed on, and he still made up for it.
Missed on moving OEL? How?

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This streak makes the TDL all that much easier for BA. Sell off whatever can be sold...give more TOI to Cooley & Guenther. Give Soderstrom one last look. Call up the Doan types and give them an NHL taste. Start chasing down the ladder and improve draft position. Do not bring David Moss out of retirement.
That time is coming.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I’m really tired of Schmaltz, honestly.

To STL
Schmaltz
Dermott
‘24 EDM 3rd

To ARI
Kapanen (dump)
Scandella (dump)
‘24 STL 1st
What did Schmaltz do wrong? Playing while being in pain? Having chemisty with Keller? Doing his job? Being a good right handed shooter? Being a drain on the payroll? I'm scratching my head.

Last edited:

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Another big time choke!
This team, despite all the hype, is pretty much a repeat of recent seasons.
I’ll say it again, the Yotes fold up like a lawn chair when met with a good forecheck.
Five in a row at just the expected time.
Might as well start looking for a new coach while we become sellers at the trade deadline.
“Meaningful games”. What a bunch of horse shit.
lol buddy…

Reactions: Jakey53

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Very soft and very lazy and very bad defensively seems to his default setting. Maybe because he’s hurt or whatever. But it’s most of the time. And has been. WYSIWYG. And he’s worth half the dollars he’s making at best.
So you just want to ship him out for more cap dumps and picks? If you just want a random body like Kapanen to come in there's other ways to do it. Sounds like you want another OEL Garland trade for Beagle Eriksson and a pick (Guenther who MIGHT be a decent player.) How many picks do we need? 4 years ago we were told wait 4 years and now we gotta wait another 4 years?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So you just want to ship it out for more cap dumps and picks? If you just want a random body like Kapanen to come in there's other ways to do it.
I don’t want Kapanen. There’s a salary cap the blues have to work under. Kapanen will be playing in europe next season.
Sounds like you want another OEL Garland trade for Beagle Eriksson and a pick (Guenther who MIGHT be a decent player.
That trade was great. Guenther is the man.
How many picks do we need? 4 years ago we were told wait 4 years and now we gotta wait another 4 years?
I don’t care what happened before BA started selling. It’s irrelevant to me.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I don’t want Kapanen. There’s a salary cap the blues have to work under. Kapanen will be playing in europe next season.

That trade was great. Guenther is the man.

I don’t care what happened before BA started selling. It’s irrelevant to me.
Hmm. Let me look at my calender. Says 2024. BA was hired in 2020. My math isn't good but that's four years going into this offseason. Point is, if you want dump assests Crouse is the one. What we going to do with Durzi and Moser etc while we wait for these magical draft picks to show up? Perlini is fine, sorry I mean Guenther, but cleaning out the cupboards can only happen so much.

rt

May 13, 2004
Hmm. Let me look at my calender. Says 2024. BA was hired in 2020. My math isn't good but that's four years going into this offseason.
Did I say hired?
Point is, if you want dump assests Crouse is the one. What we going to do with Durzi and Moser etc while we wait for these magical draft picks to show up? Perlini is fine, sorry I mean Guenther, but cleaning out the cupboards can only happen so much.
I don’t understand a word of this.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
How does this make Buffalo better? We are getting the better, younger forward, who plays C, and a better younger goalie. I don't see how Buffalo would even entertain this proposal.
I'm sure we would augment. Veggie's better than any of the Sabres' goalies right now (Levi's going to be the guy in time, but he's not there yet in his development, UPL is developing a rep of inconsistency, and Comrie is poopy). Buffalo also doesn't have anyone who can move the puck through the neutral zone like Schmaltz can. I watch a lot of Sabres hockey, and those two guys would fill two big needs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm sure we would augment. Veggie's better than any of the Sabres' goalies right now (Levi's going to be the guy in time, but he's not there yet in his development, UPL is developing a rep of inconsistency, and Comrie is poopy). Buffalo also doesn't have anyone who can move the puck through the neutral zone like Schmaltz can. I watch a lot of Sabres hockey, and those two guys would fill two big needs.
IF Buffalo says yes, I would do it.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Did I say hired?

Well, you said "Before BA was selling." I like BA. But at what point was he here not selling? He stepped in the door and started selling assests, which was his job and did good at it. Did he come in and start getting players or did he trade them out for picks and camp dumps? He shipped Chych right out. Ghost was a freebie and a great deal in the end. You do understand what I'm saying just don't agree with it. You don't want Kap but yet proposing a trade for him. Maybe I'm just he impatient type at this point. Trading for Prongers, Datsyuks Voraceks and I'm looking around like... Ok and...?

rt

May 13, 2004
@Naych_PHX he waited a season before selling anything.

And no, I really don’t understand any of what you’re saying, honestly. Guenther is Perlini just because you’re grumpy? Naw man.

Of course I don’t want Kapanen. That’s the point. You clearly know what a cap dump is. I even spelled it out with the parenthesis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad