GDT: Game #50: Coyotes @ Predators- 6:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Another big time choke!
This team, despite all the hype, is pretty much a repeat of recent seasons.
I’ll say it again, the Yotes fold up like a lawn chair when met with a good forecheck.
Five in a row at just the expected time.
Might as well start looking for a new coach while we become sellers at the trade deadline.
“Meaningful games”. What a bunch of horse shit.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We just don't move the puck good enough on the backend...no real news that we're weak on defense and every team in the NHL knows it.

We've got to find a way to get upgrades on at least 4 of them. We can keep Durzi & Moser, but everyone else needs to go.

Reactions: FinnishCoyote

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
my sell list
veggie
dumba
dermott
schm0ltz
obrien
boyd
coach T
OR
the whole damn team. get em outta here !

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm all for getting rid of Veggie, Dumba, Zucker...but I'd keep Schmaltz, because we don't have a replacement yet, you can trade him at the deadline next season because you've got But coming the season after

I'm just hoping now for a 10+ pt gain from last season, and then go win the lottery and get Celebrini

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Man when Dumba is bad he's a detriment. Don't love that Cooley got pushed around and tackled a couple times but that's just part of the big league.

Hayton had one of the dumbest penalties in the 1st. Overall though he has a nice game.

The defense is so bad. You really can see the difference of going from Chychrun, Ghost, Moser and Valimaki as a top four to Durzi, Moser, Dumba and whoever else is playing second pair any given night.

We rolled the dice on a cheap Zucker, Dumba and Kerfoot. I only want to keep Kerfoot. Luckily thats the only not on a one year. Zucker has his moments and I think he is having a bad year but is a net positive in the room. But we need hungrier and better vets.

We knocked it out of the park with Bjudstadt a d even Ghost. Not so much this offseason with the new faces we brought in. Hopefully next year we get better vets.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I’m really tired of Schmaltz, honestly.

To STL
Schmaltz
Dermott
‘24 EDM 3rd

To ARI
Kapanen (dump)
Scandella (dump)
‘24 STL 1st

I like Keller too much. Schmaltz ain't going anywhere until Keller has a winger or center he knows he can put up 70 points with.

You trade Schmaltz and we go from our 22nd rated offense (2.96 GF/GP) to what 2.8 or lower because Keller is more like a 68 point guy again? That doesnt seem like a big dip but 2.8 is good for 28th worst (SEA). Anaheim has the 29th worst with a avg 2.56 gf/gp. PHI and STL are the only two teams better than us with less GF/GP.

Schmaltz isn't the problem. He would be if we had two lines that each had more than two 60p guys on them. Right now we have Keller, Schmaltz and Maccelli who are on that pace or better. If we had four forwards who were better than Schmaltz in a two-way game and put up 60-70p the. He becomes expendable. Florida got rid of Huberdeau because they had Barkov/Verhaeghe/Reinhart and Huberdeau producing. They swapped Huberdeau for the more complete forward.

Schmaltz is helping us win more games than he is losing. That's not exactly a perfect barometer but it's not like we can just replace him in UFA. And if we trade for a youngish guy with his upside there's no telling they reach his offensive output or enjoys being on a team without a home.

I don't move Schmaltz until someone else is knocking on his door.

Next season
Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Crouse-Bjudstadt-Maccelli
X-Cooley-Guenther
Kerfoot-McBain-X

That 3rd line wing will be important. A guy like Sprong would have been perfect but Detroit snagged up all of those types the last two offseasons. Either way I want that 2nd and 3rd line to both be about equally as productive next season.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Florida is going to have some MAJOR cap problems next season and are pick poor.

Montour
Forsling
Reinhart
Lundell
Luostarinen
All need contracts. In fact only Ekblad and Mikkola are the only signed defensemen they have.

Makes me wonder if we could get Bennett if they feel comfortable riding Lundell at 2C. We'd have to get him extended since he only has two years left, but for some reti thought he had connections out here.

Imagine
Cooley-Bennett-Guenther next year. Then Cooley moves to center after Bjudstadt leaves the following season

Keller-Cooley-Guenther
Butt-Bennett-Maccelli
Crouse-Hayton-Doan

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Man, if the Sabres are actually shopping Mittelstadt, I'd be all over that. And Elliott mentioned Buffalo wants to get better now. Something around Schmaltz and Veggie for Mitts and Luukkonen?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
my sell list
veggie
dumba
dermott
schm0ltz
obrien
boyd
coach T
OR
the whole damn team. get em outta here !

BREATHE. :). OK, now that we're lucid, if we could get a fair return on any of those 6 players, I'd do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DustyDangler

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I like Keller too much. Schmaltz ain't going anywhere until Keller has a winger or center he knows he can put up 70 points with.

You trade Schmaltz and we go from our 22nd rated offense (2.96 GF/GP) to what 2.8 or lower because Keller is more like a 68 point guy again? That doesnt seem like a big dip but 2.8 is good for 28th worst (SEA). Anaheim has the 29th worst with a avg 2.56 gf/gp. PHI and STL are the only two teams better than us with less GF/GP.

Schmaltz isn't the problem. He would be if we had two lines that each had more than two 60p guys on them. Right now we have Keller, Schmaltz and Maccelli who are on that pace or better. If we had four forwards who were better than Schmaltz in a two-way game and put up 60-70p the. He becomes expendable. Florida got rid of Huberdeau because they had Barkov/Verhaeghe/Reinhart and Huberdeau producing. They swapped Huberdeau for the more complete forward.

Schmaltz is helping us win more games than he is losing. That's not exactly a perfect barometer but it's not like we can just replace him in UFA. And if we trade for a youngish guy with his upside there's no telling they reach his offensive output or enjoys being on a team without a home.

I don't move Schmaltz until someone else is knocking on his door.

Next season
Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Crouse-Bjudstadt-Maccelli
X-Cooley-Guenther
Kerfoot-McBain-X

That 3rd line wing will be important. A guy like Sprong would have been perfect but Detroit snagged up all of those types the last two offseasons. Either way I want that 2nd and 3rd line to both be about equally as productive next season.
Our problems are on D, that is where we need upgrades.

Another big time choke!
I’ll say it again, the Yotes fold up like a lawn chair when met with a good forecheck.
Might as well start looking for a new coach while we become sellers at the trade deadline.
We just lost 2 close games against 2 decent teams. We were in both games, that is kind of who we are. We had low 70 points last year, this year low 80s likely, 10 point improvement, thats where we are, its progress. Now if BA hadn't waited a year to "evaluate" we might be low to mid 90s this year, year 4 of the rebuild, maybe playoffs, we need to be at that level next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Man, if the Sabres are actually shopping Mittelstadt, I'd be all over that. And Elliott mentioned Buffalo wants to get better now. Something around Schmaltz and Veggie for Mitts and Luukkonen?
How does this make Buffalo better? We are getting the better, younger forward, who plays C, and a better younger goalie. I don't see how Buffalo would even entertain this proposal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our problems are on D, that is where we need upgrades.

We just lost 2 close games against 2 decent teams. We were in both games, that is kind of who we are. We had low 70 points last year, this year low 80s likely, 10 point improvement, thats where we are, its progress. Now if BA hadn't waited a year to "evaluate" we might be low to mid 90s this year, year 4 of the rebuild, maybe playoffs, we need to be at that level next year.
Most of us knew that D was going to be a problem this year. You are not going to win in the NHL with this caliber of D, and let's not forget, we still need that 1C in the worst way. It's going to be hard to go to that next step without these concerns being addressed. The easy part of the rebuild is over for BA, now it's going to get hard and real starting next year. There will be expectations, BA and Bear will be under the microscope much more than in the past.

Reactions: cobra427

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Most of us knew that D was going to be a problem this year. You are not going to win in the NHL with this caliber of D, and let's not forget, we still need that 1C in the worst way. It's going to be hard to go to that next step without these concerns being addressed. The easy part of the rebuild is over for BA, now it's going to get hard and real starting next year. There will be expectations, BA and Bear will be under the microscope much more than in the past.

BAs picks need time to mature. We didn't draft a Matthews, or McDavid, or Bedard, therefore the timeline is longer.

Sure, we need some FA and trade magic, but our draft prospects are probably several years away from making an impact.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Another big time choke!
This was a meaningful game. I think a lot of us are putting the cart before the horse.

Reactions: Jakey53

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
This streak makes the TDL all that much easier for BA. Sell off whatever can be sold...give more TOI to Cooley & Guenther. Give Soderstrom one last look. Call up the Doan types and give them an NHL taste. Start chasing down the ladder and improve draft position. Do not bring David Moss out of retirement.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I don’t put this game directly on our D, more so on the forwards who were too willing to play the defensive side of the puck exclusively. The breakouts suffered and the offensive threat died.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Up 4-2 and then a catastrophe of errors caused the loss beginning w/stupid penalty taken by Bjugstad. Follow that up with D not being able to move the puck up ice, getting hemmed in for a goal against and then the last goal is absolutely on Zucker...I couldn't tell you what he was thinking, but he went full mental

Overall, we've been much better this season at keeping the SOG pretty even most nights. Last year it felt like a struggle to keep the SOG even at 2-1 against...so again, we should be 10pts+ or better this season and it's growing pains.

But my expectations raise this off season for BA to improve the D enough that our offense gains another level, especially with maturity of Guenther, Cooley, Maccelli, etc...

But look how we've looked since Stecher went out and he's awful, but apparently way better than the current D on the team...which just goes to show how inadequate our D corp actually is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad