GDT: Game 50: Blackhawks @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Not upset about this loss or the loss against LA. The boys showed some life and the rookies played well. Only thing missing was the W. I'll take it.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Starting to see real positive signs.

5 of the next 7 on the road, the 2 home games are Mtl and Pit....will be interesting to see how they handle this stretch.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Watched the UofA basketball game instead of this one, sounds like I missed a good couple periods.

That bandwagon cam is hilarious. Anything to remind the Blackhawk fans that they're the worst kind of people makes me happy.

Edit: Did some research on "bandwagon cams" and saw some funny stuff. The Suns did one a few weeks ago against the Cavs with the gems being "Never been to Cleveland" and "Burned his first LeBron jersey in 2010".

Loved the "Thinks Toews is pronounced toes". Hope we do that every time the Hawks or Kings come to town.

Last edited:

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
2nd and 3rd period were inspirational...Made me want to come back!
Gave the guys a thumbs up till the last one left the ice.
1st period was bad..
That last save by Smitty was unableievable.
Domi a little rusty
The season ticket holder hot dog thing at 4:30 was nice
Thanks to all Arizona Hockey fans who came to support the Arizona team.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Yeah I was born and raised in Arizona, but my whole family (my grandma was born there but moved away in 1943, and my great-uncle still lives there) is from Chicago so I'm a Hawks fan. I love Chicago (went for a week once in 8th grade) and think it's a great city. I'm proud to be from there. Chicago dogs are the **** (I hate pickles and mustard and tomatoes). I love deep dish pizza (and think this is actually a big Chicago thing). The Cubbies broke the curse (started watching in the NLCS).

Don't call me a bandwagon fan. I've been with the Hawks my whole life (2010).

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The first was brutal, but otherwise that was a good game against a high quality opponent. The kings loss still stings, but I'll gladly take back to back good efforts against elite teams.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
OEL embellishment penalty? Did I miss something

No way it was embellishment. He was hit in the back, didn't see it coming...no delay reaction.

Additionally, the way NHL refs call a game encourages embellishment. Nasher whines about guys dropping their stick, but if they didn't there would not be a slashing call, and the whole "no blood no foul" is literally a rule to garner a double minor on a high stick.

How many times is a guy boarded with no call, but if he crumples to the ice he gets the call?

If the refs called a more honest qame embellishment would not need to exist, but IMO OEL was not at fault.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So you are like 6 or 7 years old?

Pretty sure that was just some high quality sarcasm.

No way it was embellishment. He was hit in the back, didn't see it coming...no delay reaction.

Additionally, the way NHL refs call a game encourages embellishment. Nasher whines about guys dropping their stick, but if they didn't there would not be a slashing call, and the whole "no blood no foul" is literally a rule to garner a double minor on a high stick.

How many times is a guy boarded with no call, but if he crumples to the ice he gets the call?

If the refs called a more honest qame embellishment would not need to exist, but IMO OEL was not at fault.

I missed that particular hit, but I agree on embellishment. The way they call games mean if you fight to stay on your feet you don't get a call, if you drop you do.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yotes don't know what to do when their boring ass trap game doesn't work. Nobody knows where to go. They are making us look stupid. I have to admit though, I like seeing so much skill playing wide open even though I hate Chicago.

If you don't move your feet it doesn't matter what system you are using. The first period we made Chicago look way better than they are.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Blackhawks were understandably asleep. Nice redirect though. Puck made it through a lot of traffic initially.

JFG4jVk.png

When we score, the Hawks were asleep, but if the Hawks score we are s---. Funny how that goes.:)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Nice 40 minute game. I was a bit tempted to leave after the first 20 but I enjoyed the second and third periods quite a lot. OEL again disappoints. I'm sure a lot will be made of his power play goal, but he was beaten like an old drum for most of the game. Perhaps we should consider trading OEL for a top 6 center. Seriously. If he is not injured, then he is detached from the game and needs a fresh start.

With Dvorak and Chychrun playing well, Crouse playing well and Fischer and DeAngelo on the verge we should have a much better team next year.

Also, for the dump Tip zealots, I'm seeing a ton of attempted stretch passes now, rather than simply dump and chase. By next year, they should be connecting a lot more.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Nice 40 minute game. I was a bit tempted to leave after the first 20 but I enjoyed the second and third periods quite a lot. OEL again disappoints. I'm sure a lot will be made of his power play goal, but he was beaten like an old drum for most of the game. Perhaps we should consider trading OEL for a top 6 center. Seriously. If he is not injured, then he is detached from the game and needs a fresh start.

With Dvorak and Chychrun playing well, Crouse playing well and Fischer and DeAngelo on the verge we should have a much better team next year.

Also, for the dump Tip zealots, I'm seeing a ton of attempted stretch passes now, rather than simply dump and chase. By next year, they should be connecting a lot more.

Too hasty to give up on OEL, but I never say never. Would have to be a legit top line center to give him up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Perlini and Dvo looking like top sixers tonight. Hope they continue to develop. With Domi, Fischer and hopefully Duclair bouncing back, there is still room for optimism for the future at forward even with how dreadful we've been this season. Those guys have all flashed the ability to be top six players. Maybe not superstars but solid NHL players if they meet their potential.

Hope they continue to develop? They have been developing all year and getting better and better. They will have their stretches like Duclair, but it is all part of adjusting to the NHL and maturing. You can add Strome to that list as well.:nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not much time left but a valiant 2 period effort regardless. Still gotta work on that 60 minute thing.

We gave the Kings and the Hawks all they could handle. Like you said, we need to play 60 minutes.

Kudos to the guys for not mailing it in after the first period.

I agree. The Hawks were just hanging on at the end of the game.

I saw him make a few poor decisions and shots that led to turnovers. Just think he wasn't too happy with his own play tonight.

He was rusty, which is to be expected. His speed, energy and skill was really missed.

Not upset about this loss or the loss against LA. The boys showed some life and the rookies played well. Only thing missing was the W. I'll take it.

The W's will come, just maybe not as many this year as we want.

2nd and 3rd period were inspirational...Made me want to come back!
Gave the guys a thumbs up till the last one left the ice.
1st period was bad..
That last save by Smitty was unableievable.
Domi a little rusty
The season ticket holder hot dog thing at 4:30 was nice

:handclap:

I hate how D on all teams will cross check any opposing player in front of their net and never get called. Nash is right when it comes to players drawing a slashing call when their stick is tapped and they drop it.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The Coyotes received another reality check of where they stand today. The Maple Leafs are doing it right with their rebuild.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We need OEL, we can not afford to trade him at this moment. He needs someone to play with to take some of the pressure other teams are putting on him. I agree, that his defensive game has not been up to par this year as he is getting beat more than usual.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Too hasty to give up on OEL, but I never say never. Would have to be a legit top line center to give him up.

OEL while playing poorly is still a 1D. A 1C is important but a 1D is more important. I wouldn't trade OEL for a 1C as we have no replacement for him. We gave the Hawks all they wanted last night, just like the Kings.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Games have gotten much more enjoyable to watch. Moments of bleh still, but overall the on ice product is trending upwards. Hope this is not a flash in the pan.

Dvo's play on that Perlini goal was something else. Goose seems to be fitting in much better with the team and can keep up with the kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad