GDT: Game 50: Avs @ Stars | January 23rd, 6PM MT/3AM Finnish | Sequel Scavengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnstick

Jan 7, 2015
I don't know the avg minutes Bodnarchuk had, but it was pretty significant. I didn't expect Bigras to be in the top 4, but I expected better than 7:21. I think Bigras will get some PK time eventually to bump up his minutes.

Both had lower than usual minutes
Tough match up with Dallas and so many penalties in the second ate a lot of their minutes.

I think suggesting his partner or anyone else cost him minutes was a strange comment.

He will get tons of minutes soon enough Go Avs !!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Both had lower than usual minutes
Tough match up with Dallas and so many penalties in the second ate a lot of their minutes.

I think suggesting his partner or anyone else cost him minutes was a strange comment.

He will get tons of minutes soon enough Go Avs !!

You don't think he would've seen more minutes if we had a second Beauchemin to play with him instead of Bodybychuck?

burnstick

Jan 7, 2015
You don't think he would've seen more minutes if we had a second Beauchemin to play with him instead of Bodybychuck?

As I commented , the low minutes against the Stars was a unique situation for the third pairing.
Close game, penalties , and Dallas having last change.

If he or Bods were paired with Shea Webber on a third pairing they would get lots of minutes.

My original point was that suggesting that his minutes were low because of being "shackled" with bods,Redmond,Guenin was a unique comment.

Look at Zads he was close to or possibly over 20 minutes in the games he played
How many minutes did he play against the stars.

7 minutes,14 minutes,20 minutes , he still playing in the show.

If he plays as great as you believe he is ,the coaching staff will definitely increase his minutes.
Don't blame his teammates is my point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As I commented , the low minutes against the Stars was a unique situation for the third pairing.
Close game, penalties , and Dallas having last change.

If he or Bods were paired with Shea Webber on a third pairing they would get lots of minutes.

My original point was that suggesting that his minutes were low because of being "shackled" with bods,Redmond,Guenin was a unique comment.

Look at Zads he was close to or possibly over 20 minutes in the games he played
How many minutes did he play against the stars.

7 minutes,14 minutes,20 minutes , he still playing in the show.

If he plays as great as you believe he is ,the coaching staff will definitely increase his minutes.
Don't blame his teammates is my point.

Zads played big minutes when paired with Beauchemin. The game he played with Redmond his minutes were cut back drastically. So Zads' experience supports the conclusion that shackling one of the kids with a bum hurts their PT.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Zads played big minutes when paired with Beauchemin. The game he played with Redmond his minutes were cut back drastically. So Zads' experience supports the conclusion that shackling one of the kids with a bum hurts their PT.

Zadorov had his minutes cut back because Roy got tired of his silly mistakes.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The third pairing has been played 10 minutes all year, I don't understand why we are having a discussion about this. It doesn't matter who is on it, that's how much they play.

Yeah but I think a main factor in them only playing 10 minutes should have been the personnel we had back there.

Now that we have Bigras, they should get more minutes. Bodnarchuk/Redmond is a problem though.

But so is playing Beauchemin 25+ minutes a game. Same goes for EJ after coming back from an injury.

We just have to hope that Zads takes a step or three between now and October.

We desperately need him (or Bigras) to push Beauch down a pairing to play with Barrie and allow Holden to play with the other one of the young guys.

That would allow us to reduce the minutes to a healthier amount during the regular season.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
True, maybe Roy would play Bigras more if he had a better partner. But with the top 4 as constructed, and I believe Roy likes it very much, things aren't going to change. As someone else said getting Bigras some special teams minutes will up his minutes. He was briefly out for pk so hopefully that's a sign of things to come. I really hope they try him on the pp, I don't see a downside. Even if he loses the blue line (which he's very good at holding anyway) he's a whole lot better to have back there than most of what they usually do. His quick passing and quick decisions would really help.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
True, maybe Roy would play Bigras more if he had a better partner. But with the top 4 as constructed, and I believe Roy likes it very much, things aren't going to change. As someone else said getting Bigras some special teams minutes will up his minutes. He was briefly out for pk so hopefully that's a sign of things to come. I really hope they try him on the pp, I don't see a downside. Even if he loses the blue line (which he's very good at holding anyway) he's a whole lot better to have back there than most of what they usually do. His quick passing and quick decisions would really help.

Yeah absolutely. And I can't fault him for it. Playing our third pairing as little as possible is a winning strategy if the likes of Guenin/Stuart/Bodnarchuk or Redmond are on it.

But Beauchemin is averaging 25 minutes almost on the dot /game.

With all the PK time he got against Dallas, he was close to 30 minutes out there.
He is 11th in TOI in the whole league.
The guys around him are atleast 3-5 years younger and aside from Suter are used in a more offensive role and don't have to play as many tough minutes.

That is a real concern. With Bigras looking good, we really have to try to lessen his minutes.

Otherwise there is a good chance that he pulls a Hejda sooner or later. With 2 years @4.5M left after this season, that would really hurt.

So Bigras needs some minutes!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The third pairing has been played 10 minutes all year, I don't understand why we are having a discussion about this. It doesn't matter who is on it, that's how much they play.

It is more than 10, but people shouldn't expect 15-16.

On most nights Bigras and whoever he is paired with will get between 12-13 minutes. When the Avs get a big lead, the minutes will go up... when the Avs are in a tight game, the minutes will go down. Redmond/Guenin are not going to get Bigras any more time... I doubt Bodnarchuk will either. This fact is why I think the Avs should target a bottom pairing RD that is actually decent. It allows Roy to trust that pairing for closer to 14 minutes.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Let's remember something. Saturday night against Dallas, we allowed over 100 shots. Many missed and blocked, but still, it was like 110 attempted shots on our goal. We set a franchise record in that regard.

Considering the barrage the Stars were giving us, along with the fact we were winning the game somehow, it was normal for Patrick to go to his shutdown top 4. He wanted to neutralize the damage as we were getting pinned in deep every shift. I believe the TOI for the 3rd pairing in this game was an anomaly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No, is why he is enjoying SA right now.

True, that definitely had nothing to do with that Erik Johnson guy coming back to the lineup and how much coaches love trusting two 20 year olds on the same pairing together amidst a tight playoff race.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
True, that definitely had nothing to do with that Erik Johnson guy coming back to the lineup and how much coaches love trusting two 20 year olds on the same pairing together amidst a tight playoff race.

He was demoted to the third pairing during the Blues game, Roy had seen enough and switched him and Bigras.

He got less ice time on his last game thanks to his poor play, nothing else.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He was demoted to the third pairing during the Blues game, Roy had seen enough and switched him and Bigras.

K, but maybe, just maybe, it might have had a little something to do with EJ coming back? Since that meant Roy was was going to have to decide on which of the kids to send back down and which one to play with Redmond/Bodybychuck on the third pairing...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

This probably had to do with both factors, Zadorov is more shaky with the puck right now than Bigras, but it also gave Roy a glimpse into how well Bigras will handle tougher competition if he needs to be put out there.

Which he responded to admirably, so I think at that point Roy knew he had a little more flexibility with Bigras than Zadorov.

The fact that Bigras has to anchor his own pairing with a tire fire partner is something very positive. Roy is basically saying he does not think Zadorov can do the same thing at this point.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
K, but maybe, just maybe, it might have had a little something to do with EJ coming back? Since that meant Roy was was going to have to decide on which of the kids to send back down and which one to play with Redmond/Bodybychuck on the third pairing...

The decrease in ice time against the Blues had to do with the mistakes he had during the game. That led to his demotion to the third pairing.

His demotion to SA had to do with EJ coming back, of course, but maybe, just maybe, if he had less mistakes with the puck, he would have stayed regardless of EJ coming back.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The decrease in ice time against the Blues had to do with the mistakes he had during the game. That led to his demotion to the third pairing.

His demotion to SA had to do with EJ coming back, of course, but maybe, just maybe, if he had less mistakes with the puck, he would have stayed regardless of EJ coming back.

You know you guys are probably both correct right? Roy most likely took the whole picture into account, and he also probably wanted to see Bigras in a tougher situation.

My guess is Roy would say that Zadorov allowed him to do that, if he had not made the mistakes with the puck, there is less of a chance Bigras got that look, and due to experience Zadorov probably would have stayed. Roy likes guys to compete and force his hand in making roster decisions.

It's a combination of circumstances

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Are you saying that you think there's a possible alternate reality where Zads makes less mistakes with the puck and so Roy is using a Bigras-Zadorov third pairing?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Are you saying that you think there's a possible alternate reality where Zads makes less mistakes with the puck and so Roy is using a Bigras-Zadorov third pairing?

No, unfortunatelly there is just the reality that Zadorov has to work on this, and that this is why he was demoted, first to the third pairing and than to SA.

And it is not my narrative, it is Roy's.

Roy added: "I thought Z did a lot of good things. We want him to be better with the puck. We felt that he had a bit too many giveaways and we want him to work at that and his game. He was better defensively, and I think he's heading in the right direction. We feel that he needs the time down there to improve his game and continue to learn the game."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad