GDT: Game #50 - 02.03.15 - vs Colorado - 7:30 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I don't know why criticizing Kari for this game is somehow treading sacred ground.

Were either of two regulation goals on him? Of course not. Either Seguin blew his coverage, or he and Daley miscommunicated, but whatever the case, an open man had a can't miss rebound. The 2nd goal had a **** load of traffic involving scrambling d-men who couldn't jam anyone next to them.

However, good goalies don't care about how, they just care how much. Kari had opportunities to win the game, and didn't. This has been the story of his performance ALL season; not just one game. Flat out, he's been one of the worst starters in the league, and this isn't a subjective thing; just look at his stats among goalies with over 1 thousand minutes of TOI. Part of this game was simply of microcosm of Kari's season thus far; all about how, not how much. Varlamov outplayed him, and that was the difference. Simple as that.

Looking at Karis stats for this game do absolutely ****ing nothing. You either saw the game or you didn't.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
My guess is that their concern is to have our two best puck moving defenceman out there in the event one of them does get his stick on the puck, they can make an intelligent play with it in a split second.

I can totally understand that point of view, but with how many times this exact thing has happened this season? Just doesn't even make sense on any level.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
I appreciate that you looked at it again and changed your mind. Zero sarcasm. I wish more people on this board would rewatch things and correct themselves.

Yeah I jumped the gun way to early on it. Biggest reason why we lost is because Goligoski not being able to do his job correctly.

Primetimey*

Okay prime, so substitute weak wrister with weak snap shot. It still is not a "huge bomb" like the ******** that you're spewing. Most goalies, at the very least, will be down on the ice in time as to not allow a shot to slide between their legs.

Yea most goalies would be able to see when the shot is going off because they won't have a huge player infront of them with their defender (Goligoski) covering an invisible player down in the corners and being completely useless.

All it takes is a push, a nudge so your goalie can see over him.. look at the screengrab.. Kari can't see nothing and is trying to look overtop to see when the shot is coming.

Kari was like 0.01 seconds too late on stopping that puck. It hit the bottom of his pad before trickling in.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
5 points out of the last playoff spot and having to jump at least 3 teams Dallas isn't in a position to be buyers at this deadline. They can't waste what assets they have and still fall short. .

I don't think using a bunch of draft picks and prospects to buy Antoine Vermette was ever the plan for this team, you have nothing to worry about.

Jim Nill makes his moves in the offseason.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Yeah I jumped the gun way to early on it. Biggest reason why we lost is because Goligoski not being able to do his job correctly.

I got stuck watching the Avs feed for the last couple of minutes so maybe that's why I never thought it was on Kari. They were shouting every time the Avs took a shot and talking about how inevitable the goal was so when it happened I was just like "ugh of course." It might have seemed different on the Stars feed but on the Avs feed/angle it was pretty obvious that the D were scrambling

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
brutal loss, but we get a point :\ I thought we'd have the shutout for a bit too :( I guess we aren't totally out of it-- also wpg didn't get points yet tonight. here's to hoping!

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Looking at Karis stats for this game do absolutely ****ing nothing. You either saw the game or you didn't.

Where did I say anything about Kari's stats for this game? I'm talking about his entire season thus far, and having the opportunity to be the better goalie; he's been awful the entire season. Being good for 60 minutes, and finding a way to lose is still losing.

I'm not on some crazed "trade Kari" bandwagon. He's been solid for most of his career, and this is easily his worst season (and therefore an anomaly) but that doesn't mean he's absolved of blame in this game. You can either tease out the nuance of my post (Kari has been historically bad, but games like these seem to be his narrative for the season), or you can keep whining about whatever strawman you're attacking because this one ain't it.

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
Yea most goalies would be able to see when the shot is going off because they won't have a huge player infront of them with their defender (Goligoski) covering an invisible player down in the corners and being completely useless.

All it takes is a push, a nudge so your goalie can see over him.. look at the screengrab.. Kari can't see nothing and is trying to look overtop to see when the shot is coming.

Kari was like 0.01 seconds too late on stopping that puck. It hit the bottom of his pad before trickling in.
I see what you're saying, I just have trouble giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point. It seems that **** like this has happened habitually this season. Anyway, I apologize for the insults. No hard feelings, man.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Where did I say anything about Kari's stats for this game? I'm talking about his entire season thus far, and having the opportunity to be the better goalie; he's been awful the entire season. Being good for 60 minutes, and finding a way to lose is still losing.

I'm not on some crazed "trade Kari" bandwagon. He's been solid for most of his career, and this is easily his worst season (and therefore an anomaly) but that doesn't mean he's absolved of blame in this game. You can either tease out the nuance of my post (Kari has been historically bad, but games like these seem to be his narrative for the season), or you can keep whining about whatever strawman you're attacking because this one ain't it.

All right, we're on the same page then.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I don't think using a bunch of draft picks and prospects to buy Antoine Vermette was ever the plan for this team, you have nothing to worry about.

Jim Nill makes his moves in the offseason.

I'm thinking more defense. A guy like Methot or Chris Phillips. Paying for a UFA seems like a really bad idea right now.

Primetimey*

I see what you're saying, I just have trouble giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point. It seems that **** like this has happened habitually this season. Anyway, I apologize for the insults. No hard feelings, man.

It's all good. We should be heated after a loss like that.

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
I was sooooo pissed off after this lost and was ready to kill Lehtonen but after calming down I figured the loss wasn't really his fault. Typical Dallas Stafs hockey tonight though.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
I'm all for trading Goose at this point if we can get a prospect and maybe a 2nd or 3rd. The guy just is a stalemate defensively and continues to be since he's been here. Besides maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
lol, this game was so sad...

Spezza and Cole has to get more ice-time. Cole has been one of the better players on this team, and Spezza has been getting points (not every game but pretty close to that I think) and creating scoring chances. It's not because I'm a Spezza fan or anything, but that's better for the team IMO. 14 minutes is too short...way too short.

Defense was defense...not as bad as other games, but so pathetic when it matters the most.

I'm not going to defend or justify Kari. He's not clutch. I'm not saying "it's he's fault" or "he sucks", but he's so bad in intense situations like dying seconds of the 3rd period, OT, SO, ...etc. Step your game up.

But the good part is, I think it's been a while since I felt this feeling. The team has played so much better recently that I kind of forgot that this team was cursed in 3rd period/OT/SO.

cizko

Feb 10, 2009
For the most part we have played great, but this is a team loss. Bad coverage and positioning on the first avs goal (I don't know what Daley and Segs were doing) and absolute chaos (from almost everybody) on the second avs goal. Than the aberration that was the overtime (Kari really did get us through to the SO, we should have lost it there) and some bad shootout attempts from a few players that really should be better.

I was really pleased for the most part with how we played, but when it comes down to it, this team can't get it done. And now we are last in the division.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

I think you guys should be more optimistic. Your team has not played its best yet this season and you are still 23-19-8 and just 5 points from the last Wild Card spot! You also have 1 game in hand on Calgary and 3 games in hand on Winnipeg...with neither team playing any kind of dominant hockey so you can pass them.

You are also giving up less shots lately...4 of last 5 games you gave up fewer than 30 shots.

All this without Nemeth, Peverley and Nichushkin. When Nemeth and Nichushkin return your team will look a lot better.

Hopefully like this:
Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Cole - Spezza - Hemsky
Roussel - Eakin - Ritchie
Eaves - Horcoff - Garbutt
Fiddler/Sceviour

Goligoski - Klingberg
Daley - Nemeth
Oleksiak - Demers
Schlemko

I mean thats a pretty strong lineup that can definitely get you into the playoffs. I also do feel Lehtonen will play better down the stretch...he seems to pick it up in the 2nd half.

cizko

Feb 10, 2009
If we have to rely on a return of two rookies and a guy who hasn't played in this season yet - this really doesn't give very positive picture.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

If we have to rely on a return of two rookies and a guy who hasn't played in this season yet - this really doesn't give very positive picture.

I never said you have to rely on that... I said it will help.

I also pointed out that right now your team is already improving in lowering shots against. Lehtonen has had 2 decent games and will continue to get more consistent as the season moves along I think.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
When Nemeth and Nichushkin return your team will look a lot better.

They won't be returning for at least another month (Nemeth at least, who knows when Nuke is coming back).

We're playing great hockey, and have been for a while outside of a game here or there. And we're still finding ways to lose. It's just wasted points here and there that continue to add up. We would already be in a playoff spot if we just knew how to hold a lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad