Pre-Game Talk: Game 5 vs Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
MSL will play and my guess he will tear it up. Hockey players and football players always play in memory of their loved ones lost. It's an honor. I hope he scores a goal for her (but please lose the game....).

It would be nice, but my bigger fear is that they forget everything after a week of sitting around, eating pizza, drinking beer, posting drunk selfies, getting hookers... that's what they do on their time off, right?

Breaks are good for some teams - and I don't think it would benefit the Pens. Boston/Montreal is BUILT for a bloodbath. I don't think it was hurt their chances in the next round and either team that comes through should be favored from everything I see. ESPECIALLY Boston.

We have to win tonight. Hockey is very funny. We already saw San Jose give it up after they looked dominant. A little momentum goes a looooong way.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
MSL will play and my guess he will tear it up. Hockey players and football players always play in memory of their loved ones lost. It's an honor. I hope he scores a goal for her (but please lose the game....).

------------------------

Breaks are good for some teams - and I don't think it would benefit the Pens. Boston/Montreal is BUILT for a bloodbath. I don't think it was hurt their chances in the next round and either team that comes through should be favored from everything I see. ESPECIALLY Boston.

We have to win tonight. Hockey is very funny. We already saw San Jose give it up after they looked dominant. A little momentum goes a looooong way.

I've watched all of the Boston games this year (first and second round) and obviously all of the second round with Montreal, and to be honest, neither teams is playing lights-out bone-crushing hockey like I've seen in the past. They are playing with confidence, but it really seems like a good match-up. I do think Boston is the better team, but Montreal really seems to be like a thorn (ala New York Islanders) in the Bruins' sides.

I really hope the Bruins get ousted because I see the Canadians as a good matchup for us, but in all honesty, I even see the Bruins being a good series with the way we are currently playing.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I've watched all of the Boston games this year (first and second round) and obviously all of the second round with Montreal, and to be honest, neither teams is playing lights-out bone-crushing hockey like I've seen in the past. They are playing with confidence, but it really seems like a good match-up. I do think Boston is the better team, but Montreal really seems to be like a thorn (ala New York Islanders) in the Bruins' sides.

I really hope the Bruins get ousted because I see the Canadians as a good matchup for us, but in all honesty, I even see the Bruins being a good series with the way we are currently playing.

if we play correctly, with a lineup with speed and without forcing things early and counterattacking responsibly and effectively late, Yes, the past two season the bruins are at best even with us... But just like with montreal, we attempt to outsize and outhit them, which plays into their strengths and gives them an advantage. Id agree that we could beat them, whether I believe we will do the correct things to do so is another matter, though we are trending in that way

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Morning skate tweets ...

Rangers have already called off their morning skate tomorrow. #Penguins still scheduled to skate. @pgshelly

All #Pens present at morning skate, except for Brooks Orpik. @penguins

Lines at morning skate:
Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Vitale
Gibbons-Goc-Adams
Glass-Conner-Pyatt @penguins

#Pens practicing the PP. 1st unit: Martin, Letang, Malkin, Crosby, Kunitz. 2nd: Niskanen, Maatta, Neal, Sutter, Jokinen -MC @PensInsideScoop

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just get Letang off the #1 unit.

And what does Dan think, that if we use those morning skate lines, and then switch to what we've doing pretty much all series, that NYR is gonna be like "WHOA WE DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMIN!!?"

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
All signs point to a Pens blowout tonight...

which means they'll lose 3-2 and someone will get hurt. And O'Halloran will officiate with a Miller Lite in one hand and a Ranger flag in the other.

ColdStare

Jul 20, 2011
Johnstown
Just get Letang off the #1 unit.

And what does Dan think, that if we use those morning skate lines, and then switch to what we've doing pretty much all series, that NYR is gonna be like "WHOA WE DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMIN!!?"

Agree. Come on Dan, just commit to the correct lines already. They work so you might as well practice with them.

Nisky really needs to be back on the 1st unit. I know Letang has been playing great but there is actual statistical evidence that the 1st unit is better with Nisky. I suppose that isn't important though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
1st goal is huge tonight, if pens get it NYR might go away quietly.

I almost want the Pens to take an aggressive penalty for fun in the opening 5 minutes. Play on the edge aggressively. 1) You will see how far the refs will go and set the tone. 2) If you kill the penalty, all momentum shifts.

Or... the Rangers could score on the powerplay and you know what's up.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
All signs point to a Pens blowout tonight...

which means they'll lose 3-2 and someone will get hurt. And O'Halloran will officiate with a Miller Lite in one hand and a Ranger flag in the other.

Wait.. Is O´Halloran confirmed?? He officiated 2 our games so far.. Game 4 vs Columbus and Game 3 vs NYR. Both were awfully directed against us (other than that, I can live with the refs, but O´Halloran drives me crazy).

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
FINISH HIM

tumblr_ljxr8iZhOg1qhrrjio1_500.gif

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I almost want the Pens to take an aggressive penalty for fun in the opening 5 minutes. Play on the edge aggressively. 1) You will see how far the refs will go and set the tone. 2) If you kill the penalty, all momentum shifts.

Or... the Rangers could score on the powerplay and you know what's up.

That's rather inevitable, right? Not saying MSL was/is the issue with their PP, but if he's out tonight they'll be going with some previous incarnation and that might be all it takes. I get what you're saying, and I think our PK with Sutter and Gibby is great, but still better to stay out of the box.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
Would like to see them close out obviously. Don't want to see the "they had too much time off" excuse in the next series like people were using last year.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Wait.. Is O´Halloran confirmed?? He officiated 2 our games so far.. Game 4 vs Columbus and Game 3 vs NYR. Both were awfully directed against us (other than that, I can live with the refs, but O´Halloran drives me crazy).

No idea.. but if he is.. buckle up!

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
if we play correctly, with a lineup with speed and without forcing things early and counterattacking responsibly and effectively late, Yes, the past two season the bruins are at best even with us... But just like with montreal, we attempt to outsize and outhit them, which plays into their strengths and gives them an advantage. Id agree that we could beat them, whether I believe we will do the correct things to do so is another matter, though we are trending in that way

Yeah, I agree. It's all about staying composed. We haven't had to worry too much about that recently. If for one reason alone, it may be better to get Montreal in the next round, simply to get our guys away from Lucic and Marchand.

You could make a case for PK Subban, but we don't seem to make as many stupid decisions against him as we do the likes of a few goons on the Bruins' squad.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
unbelievable. we have to watch 15 ****ing minutes of these **** lines. AGAIN. **** dan bylsma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad