Post-Game Talk: Game #5: Vancouver Canucks 3 @ Dallas Stars 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Does anyone know if there was any point in this game where the Canucks were losing the possession battle? Did the Stars win the possession battle early, and the Canucks took over after score effects kicked into play?

Through 5 games-

Shots for- 36.8
Shots against- 26.8

Best off all, it seems the team is once again generating chances in high percentage shooting areas - unlike last years team that seemed to only shoot from the outside, and really struggled to penetrate the middle of the ice. IMO this years incarnation is night and day better offensively than they were last season. Wouldn't be surprised if this team goes from 28th in goals for to somewhere inside the top 15.

Best off all, the Sedins look like 70 point players again. Which will be a must to make the playoffs in the brutally tough Western conference.

I agree, and I'm really not trying to be negative here, but if there is one thing that concerns me greatly it's that Daniel and Henrik have only scored ONE goal combined on a goalie. Daniel's goal was an empty netter and so was one of Hank's. I can live with Hank being a pure playmaker. That's his role and he's one of the elite passers in the league so he gets to do that. Daniel, however, simply has to be more of a threat to score. I don't care how many times they set up Vrbata, Daniel also needs to score.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
We all want the team to do well, but I don't think many of us would complain about that.

The fear is we finish like 10th in the conference and draft in the late teens.....missing the playoffs and getting a player with a low chance of being an impact player.

Yeah. If the team gives an honest effort on the year, plays some hockey that's at least fun to watch most of the time...and still comes up way short, with a top draft pick, i don't think many here will be too upset.

Though with the draft being what it looks like this year, even drafting with a pick in the teens could net a really good player and a key piece for the future.

Agreed that this is probably the best strategy.

Put Bonino and Kassian on Vey's wing, and give them fairly sheltered minutes. That would then allow you to put Richardson between Burrows and Higgins to create a good defensive checking line that can actually take some tough match ups and defensive zone starts.

Yeah. That's probably the best way to get the most out of what we have to work with. At least, on paper it makes the most sense in a deployment to their strengths sort of setup.

The only real concern, is that i'm not sure how Bonino is going to gel with Kassian, even with Vey in the middle. The two seemed to have the opposite of chemistry in the bits they tried it for in the preseason, but it wouldn't hurt to revisit it and confirm whether it does or does not work. I know Willie D is aiming for a "balanced 4 line team", but we've got some really jumbled up roles going on right now and sometimes the old-fashioned straightforward approach actually is the best approach.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
We were no where near as good as Dallas, I don't give a **** how it seems to some people, WE WERE NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD as the team on the other end. Corsi means **** when the other team is up 5-0 before the midpoint of the game.

arsmaster*

Does anyone know if there was any point in this game where the Canucks were losing the possession battle? Did the Stars win the possession battle early, and the Canucks took over after score effects kicked into play?

Through 5 games-

Shots for- 36.8
Shots against- 26.8

Best off all, it seems the team is once again generating chances in high percentage shooting areas - unlike last years team that seemed to only shoot from the outside, and really struggled to penetrate the middle of the ice. IMO this years incarnation is night and day better offensively than they were last season. Wouldn't be surprised if this team goes from 28th in goals for to somewhere inside the top 15.

Best off all, the Sedins look like 70 point players again. Which will be a must to make the playoffs in the brutally tough Western conference.

I would be interested to see what those numbers were last year to start and up until the calendar rolled over.

Seem to recall out shooting the heck out of the opponents then too.

Twins looked like 70 point players then too.

I'm quite annoyed by getting Edmonton and Calgary and a week long break prior to playing real teams.

False sense of optimism.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I agree, and I'm really not trying to be negative here, but if there is one thing that concerns me greatly it's that Daniel and Henrik only have only scored ONE goal combined on a goalie. Daniel's goal was an empty netter and so was one of Hank's. I can live with Hank being a pure playmaker. That's his role and he's one of the elite passers in the league so he gets to do that. Daniel, however, simply has to be more of a threat to score. I don't care how many times they set up Vrbata.

Agreed about Daniel. He doesn't need to score 40 or even 30. Daniel needs 20-25 to be acceptable. Vrbata won't be scoring 4 in 5 all year.

John Bender*

Agreed about Daniel. He doesn't need to score 40 or even 30. Daniel needs 20-25 to be acceptable. Vrbata won't be scoring 4 in 5 all year.

I cant see Daniel hitting 20. I am thinking he gets 16 or something like that.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Applaud your optimism but I didn't see a team that could win.

Dallas had a very easy time getting what ever they wanted.

I actually felt the Canucks were creating offense at will. Dallas seemed to really struggle containing them.

The Stars top line looked great, but that's to be expected. It has the makings of the best line in hockey.

The 1st, 3rd and 4th lines all played well IMO. The Canucks are finally a 4 line team.

John Bender*

We were no where near as good as Dallas, I don't give a **** how it seems to some people, WE WERE NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD as the team on the other end. Corsi means **** when the other team is up 5-0 before the midpoint of the game.

What if it's all on the goaltender?

arsmaster*

Yeah. If the team gives an honest effort on the year, plays some hockey that's at least fun to watch most of the time...and still comes up way short, with a top draft pick, i don't think many here will be too upset.

Though with the draft being what it looks like this year, even drafting with a pick in the teens could net a really good player and a key piece for the future.

Yeah. That's probably the best way to get the most out of what we have to work with. At least, on paper it makes the most sense in a deployment to their strengths sort of setup.

The only real concern, is that i'm not sure how Bonino is going to gel with Kassian, even with Vey in the middle. The two seemed to have the opposite of chemistry in the bits they tried it for in the preseason, but it wouldn't hurt to revisit it and confirm whether it does or does not work. I know Willie D is aiming for a "balanced 4 line team", but we've got some really jumbled up roles going on right now and sometimes the old-fashioned straightforward approach actually is the best approach.

Who shoots the puck on that line. 3 primary playmakers and the top line has two.

The team has a bad mix that doesn't compliment eachother outside of the top line.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I cant see Daniel hitting 20. I am thinking he gets 16 or something like that.

Which would be a LOT more sad than the downfall of Burrows that people around here are lamenting.

Can't really complain about the top line given the way they're producing thus far, but I'm just looking at the bigger picture here. Vrbata would have to score 50 goals to compensate if our other two 1st liners end up with less than 20.

John Bender*

Which would be a LOT more sad than the downfall of Burrows that people around here are lamenting.

Great point. Daniel is the guy making 7 million for the next 4 years. I suspect Burrows will come close to matching him for goals.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Our team is going to stuggle if desjardins doesnt figure out higgins and burrows have to be kept off the top 6 to hope to win.

top 6 means goals not solid two way play that results in a goal every 3 games.

vey 1 goal 2 assists
kassian 2 goals

they are the top 6 not 3 points in 5games from our supposed vetrans that were going to rebound this team.

vey horvat kassian

deal.
with.
it.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I agree, and I'm really not trying to be negative here, but if there is one thing that concerns me greatly it's that Daniel and Henrik have only scored ONE goal combined on a goalie. Daniel's goal was an empty netter and so was one of Hank's. I can live with Hank being a pure playmaker. That's his role and he's one of the elite passers in the league so he gets to do that. Daniel, however, simply has to be more of a threat to score. I don't care how many times they set up Vrbata, Daniel also needs to score.

I have been saying this since the off-season. I have little doubt Henrik can be a 70 point player again, but I am very concerned with Daniel. He does not seem capable of picking the corners the way he used to and without him being a goal scoring threat the league will adjust to this line.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
What if it's all on the goaltender?

And the goaltender is not part of the team? The team in general just isn't good enough, whether its goaltending or other aspects.

I still put part of the blame on the offence this game, we basically scored only two goals in the game (which seems to be the most we can do on good teams). 3rd one doesn't count cuz Dallas is already sitting. Some nights (like tonight) we need three or more.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
sedin sedin burrows
raymond kesler samuelsson
torres malhotra hansen
higgins lapierre glass

Whats funny is it isnt hard to put vey and kassian on the 2nd line and emulate exactly what that line did.

just deal with the fact theyre young and need time to develop.

why do you think chicagos and LA s prospects do t have this problem. Because thers no pressure to produce and make the playoffs or ur benched.

dssjardins better get a clue and play kassian and vey

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Shot attempts were even up until the 3-0 goal and I'd say Dallas had the better chances in the 1st.

Through 5 games-

Shots for- 36.8
Shots against- 26.8

Yeah but look at the competition. 1 of 5 games vs a playoff team from last year, Tampa is about the only competent possession team in the bunch, and none of the 5 games were against even a decent defensive team. The real test will be when they have to play some good teams that can defend like LA, STL, etc.

John Bender*

You bring up a player from the Florida Panthers in response to my comment about this game? That's not very logical, but okay I'll play your game.

John Tavares is a good hockey player. Am I doing it right?

When the Canucks play well, you make a sweeping conclusion that it's of no importance since they were blown out.

When Luongo gets blown out you dissect every facet of the game, every statistic, and attempt to lay blame on every other element of the team in order to deflect off the play of "your boy."

You like to have things one way when it suits you, but when the logic does not flow with your prior outlook, you flip and argue the opposite.

I agree John Tavares is a good player. Great point.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
And the goaltender is not part of the team? The team in general just isn't good enough, whether its goaltending or other aspects.

I still put part of the blame on the offence this game, we basically scored only two goals in the game (which seems to be the most we can do on good teams). 3rd one doesn't count cuz Dallas is already sitting. Some nights (like tonight) we need three or more.

It was a game we got dominated in, and then started to get shots and score after we already had our teeth kicked in. Dallas had complete control.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I saw the Canucks creating a TON of high percentage scoring chances when the game was close. Appeared to outshoot and outchance Dallas in every period.

What do the numbers say? Who tracks scoring chances again?

I thought we were significantly outchanced in the first. There was the Hansen breakaway and a good Bonino chance late, and one decent chance for the Sedin line, and that was about it. Meanwhile Dallas were constantly entering our zone with loads of speed and space on the rush.

Agreed and while it's very "me" to say it. He doesn't even come close to scoring in his own net if a certain dman doesn't run out of position to make a hit.

That goal was a mess.

Sbisa runs out of position to create a dangerous situation/partial 2-on-1, then Bieksa runs way out of position chasing the puck carrier, and poor Burrows who is the only guy doing his job with a really good backcheck manages to put it in his own net. Ugh.

John Bender*

The offense got 3 goals. That should be enough. The game was lost on weak goaltending, some bad back checks and some bad bounces. Overall, the team played well, but everything that could go wrong, did.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Who shoots the puck on that line. 3 primary playmakers and the top line has two.

The team has a bad mix that doesn't compliment eachother outside of the top line.

yeah, you're right. bonino doesn't seem to optimally fit anywhere. my hope is that this longshot configuration clicks:

sedin sedin vrbata
bonino matthias kassian
higgins horvat burrows
dorsett richardson hansen

that assumes that bonino and kassian can figure out how to play together and that matthias can be the goal scorer he looked like he could be that one magical march in 2013, but i think that's our best bet for a real second line this season short of trading for a legit second line center.

i'm not sure that the tenacity of higgins and burrows wouldn't buy vey the time to operate that he sorely needs. but i guess vey is still too much of a trainwreck defensively and pie-in-the-sky horvat will adapt seamlessly. this is almost certainly cloud talk though.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I would be interested to see what those numbers were last year to start and up until the calendar rolled over.

Seem to recall out shooting the heck out of the opponents then too.

Last season they took a lot of shots on net from the outside, but couldn't move the puck through the middle of the ice or penetrate the slot area. I questioned the Canucks Cori numbers last season because so few of their shots appeared to be scoring chances.

This season, it's different IMO. The skillevel is higher, allowing for quick puck movement - and most importantly, puck movement through the middle of the ice and into high percentage shooting areas.

Could be wrong, but to my eye, this Canuck team looks much more difficult to defend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad