GDT: Game 5: Preds vs Islanders | 7:00 PM CST

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
There was that comment earlier by the NYI follower that it didn't seem as engaging - but I suspect the MSG broadcast couldn't hear 17,113 people screaming "JOOOOOOOONESSSSSSSS" at the top of their lungs.

gratefulpred

Eternal Optimist
Jun 27, 2011
Almo Heights, KY
Not sure if it was Dish or if the NYI feed was really that bad. Choppy audio and the broadcast was not even in HD....really? No HD? I thought you big city slickers could at least have that technology. To be fair however, the announcers were not total homers however and had good things to say about us several times.

Great win! I just hope we bring the same intensity on Tuesday night when I make my next journey down to 501 Broadway!

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Nice win; was out so I had to watch the game delayed. Ellis scored from the blueline; Nabokov had a great night but you can't do that. Biggest takeaway is that A) we are amazing at the dot, and B) it's a huge advantage to have.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
God it was good to get in a game.

First off it was nice to get in touch with friends, Slake, Adzy. And meet new friends: Hunter, Diva. It was relaxing to be in a place where it meets my own personal philosophy. A place where people say how can I help YOU, not How can you help ME.

My perspective was the pre-pre game. I was at the Breaking into Sports seminar the Preds hosted. It was nice knowing I wasn't the old guy there. The seminar gave me confidence they weren't even planning. While there, I was spending time going, "I know all this crap." The entry fee was more for the chance to gladhand and the free meals and ticket. It was well worth it for the confidence alone.

As for the game. With my watch pattern I see massive changes in the team. This version of the team was mass chaos. Lot's more movement then set pieces. Lots of attacking the wing and hope for a guy at the slot to gobble up the rebound.

Nabby was giving up rebounds like nothing. The Preds were moving him left and right forcing him to scramble instead of controlling the puck.

I would feel better about the cannon shots past 40 ft if you have traffic in front of the net. Yes, the Jones goal and the Ellis goal had a very clear lane. Like a door open and you see nothing but blue sky and green grass. But how often do you have that?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Not sure if it was Dish or if the NYI feed was really that bad. Choppy audio and the broadcast was not even in HD....really? No HD? I thought you big city slickers could at least have that technology. To be fair however, the announcers were not total homers however and had good things to say about us several times.

Great win! I just hope we bring the same intensity on Tuesday night when I make my next journey down to 501 Broadway!

It was HD on Directv. ;)

Jones did a pretty good job going one on one against Tavares last night. Still too many lapses defensively from the team ... too few chances from guys facing the goal down low offensively. The team is working hard, but needs to get more "detailed" in Trotzian speak.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Seth Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I swear, if he didn't look like he was 15 years old in the face, I would think that kid is 25 years old out there.

Regarding the attendance and stuff, it was fairly weak for a Saturday but you have to remember that it's always possible to have attendance be a little lower during football season. Also, my theory is that Preds games are social events for a lot of people that attend. It just started, so Preds games aren't in the forefront of a lot of peoples minds yet. As the games get going and people have their friends telling them about going and people hear about it again, the attendance will increase. The real fans will be there, but the part of the crowd that goes to hang out with friends, drink and go out that night (nothing wrong with that), and doesn't care if we win or lose isn't coming yet. They will.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I was disappointed with the turnout but it's still quite a bit better than we were a few years ago, plus it's football season which always plays some part.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This is a weekend where neither the Vols nor the Commodores were even playing, and the Titans were playing in Seattle. Preds were playing a team relatively unknown to fans. If I wasn't a rabid Preds fan this would be my weekend for traveling elsewhere.

Glad to get to see BFC--after a few wrong turns! (Would have been a good sit-com sequence--ha ha!)

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
View from the lower bowl:
To answer a few questions I saw.

-It was said to be a sellout but it was far from it. The crowd was not great. A lot of social fans there. Fans got up for Jones goal pretty quiet other than that.

-I sure do not see the moaning about Cullen today. He played another solid game just like he has all year. Probably best forward on the ice. Him and Smith look really good together.

-Jones was an absolute stud tonight. He made several great plays on offense and defense.

-Fisher was the most physical and was all over the place.

-Weber had a solid game as usual.

-Stalberg looked like it was his first regular season game with this team. I saw one play where he was wide open in front of the net banging his stick on the ice and the player against the boards can't remember who it was late seeing him and when he finally tried to get it to him missed the pass.

-Ellis was solid tonight. He has a great shot as some saw again tonight. I wish he had a chance to use it more. He was also solid defensively and made several good plays. It looks like he has learned how to position himself against bigger players. He has looked good.

-Preds could have easily scored 5-6 goals in this game if it was not for Nab. He made several amazing saves and was solid.

-Tavares goal was a lucky bounce right back to his stick. He's a superstar and found a way to get it in. The other goal the preds flat out got beat coming back and left Isle alone in the slot.

Tickets issued matters for sellouts ... tickets sold matters for lease issues and revenue generation ... tickets used matters for butts in seats on any given night.

17,113 tickets issued = sellout.

right, I understand the difference but I was hounding ticketmaster/stubhub on tuesday just a few hours before puck drop. there were waaaaay too many tickets available on ticketmaster and the price on stubhub had bottomed out at $12.50. Add that to a meager showing by puck drop, even by halfway through the first and it was very apparent it was not a sellout. it would be interesting to know how managed to call it a sellout.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
right, I understand the difference but I was hounding ticketmaster/stubhub on tuesday just a few hours before puck drop. there were waaaaay too many tickets available on ticketmaster and the price on stubhub had bottomed out at $12.50. Add that to a meager showing by puck drop, even by halfway through the first and it was very apparent it was not a sellout. it would be interesting to know how managed to call it a sellout.

Sell to scalpers ... sell to the companies owned by the owners ... it's easy to move a few remaining tix. Anything on stubhub is on the secondary market.

The PH Factor

Mar 18, 2013
Washington, DC
Sell to scalpers ... sell to the companies owned by the owners ... it's easy to move a few remaining tix. Anything on stubhub is on the secondary market.

Exactly. Availability on stubhub isn't exactly predictive of sellout or not as they are already sold tickets on the secondary market. The price on stubhub probably is a potential predictor of attendance though (if cheaper tickets aren't selling the volume of people going is probably less).

Also, don't comps count into tickets issued for sellout count purposes? Remember reading an article from the end of last season (having trouble finding it, might have been in the NBJ) with Sean Henry where he said in spite of the sellout streak in last year's short season we actually sold less tickets per game and issued more comp tickets (averaged per game) than 2011-2012. And when the FO saw a game wasn't going to sellout they'd up their comp distributions in order to "achieve" a sellout for marketing purposes (and probably looking good to the league).

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Exactly. Availability on stubhub isn't exactly predictive of sellout or not as they are already sold tickets on the secondary market. The price on stubhub probably is a potential predictor of attendance though (if cheaper tickets aren't selling the volume of people going is probably less).

Also, don't comps count into tickets issued for sellout count purposes? Remember reading an article from the end of last season (having trouble finding it, might have been in the NBJ) with Sean Henry where he said in spite of the sellout streak in last year's short season we actually sold less tickets per game and issued more comp tickets (averaged per game) than 2011-2012. And when the FO saw a game wasn't going to sellout they'd up their comp distributions in order to "achieve" a sellout for marketing purposes (and probably looking good to the league).

Comps do count in the tickets issued column and every team has comps for every single game. The team tracks three separate numbers ... issued, sold, and used. Ideally, they'd all be 16k + per game. Realistically, if we average 16.5k issued and used with 15.5k+ sold the team will do ok. I see nothing to worry about in our ticket numbers right now and I still have the current and previous lease versions, the proposed leases, and ticket data dating back to 1998 on my various thumb and external hard drives. If I get concerned .... worry.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
if we average 16.5k issued and used with 15.5k+ sold the team will do ok. I see nothing to worry about in our ticket numbers right now and I still have the current and previous lease versions, the proposed leases, and ticket data dating back to 1998 on my various thumb and external hard drives. If I get concerned .... worry.

This-

I guess we are going to have this "sellout" or not discussion again after every home game just like last year.

The Predators aren't doing anything that every other professional sports franchise does with regards to their tickets/attendance.

If we don't start winning on the ice, then attendance will begin to suffer, but at least right now, I don't see how anyone can have anything negative to say about our attendance. It is pretty darn good considering the last year we have had on the ice.

And it seems like many seem to think last night's crowd was bad or weak?? I guess I must be blind but the building looked pretty full to me- at opening faceoff there were plenty of empty seats, but it filled in nicely as it almost always does. Was there literally a butt in every seat? Nope, but absolutely no way I would call it a "weak" crowd.

As a former Atlanta Thrashers fan, I can tell you that if this was a game in Atlanta in October against the Islanders on a Saturday night, there might not have been 10,000 in the building.

And did anyone catch the Florida Panthers game today? Crowd was announced at 12,000, but there couldn't have been more than 9 or 10k in the stands.

We are doing ok- just as a point of comparison, the St Louis Blues, with a much longer and storied hockey history and a team on the ice that is a legitimate Cup contender- has had 4 home games and haven't come close to having a sellout, not even opening night (and almost 3,000 short of one vs Blackhawks, a game that had a huge amount of Chicago fans).

Just saying that things could be much worse......

I will say this- it will be interesting to see what the actual attendance will be Tuesday- a weeknight October game vs Florida- if we are ever going to have a low attendance night, that could be it......

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
it would be interesting to know how managed to call it a sellout.

Because every ticket for the game had been sold or distributed. The tickets you were seeing for a pittance on Ticketmaster and StubHub have already been paid for and are counted as in attendance whether they are used or not. That's simply NHL policy for published attendance reporting. It's also the policy of every other sports league with any operations in the United States. Why? I don't know, but does anyone really care that much?

Because every ticket for the game had been sold or distributed.

Absolutely wrong, just based off the fact that last year they admitted that the comps were more than the previous year. There is no way they physically distributed every ticket hours before puck drop. Maybe on the books they distributed them but there is no way they put those tickets in someones hand mere hours before the game.

Sorry I'm concerned with attendance when we've come deathly close to losing this franchise.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Absolutely wrong, just based off the fact that last year they admitted that the comps were more than the previous year. There is no way they physically distributed every ticket hours before puck drop. Maybe on the books they distributed them but there is no way they put those tickets in someones hand mere hours before the game.

Sorry I'm concerned with attendance when we've come deathly close to losing this franchise.

Then go to every Sports Authority meeting and pay attention to the paid attendance numbers that the team provides the city. Even with the increased comps coming out of the lockout, the paid number (an data point the city has the right to audit) was well above anything in the lease that could trigger a relocation. The team averaged over 15k sold last season with a schedule released just days before the season began.

Announced attendance is absolutely meaningless except for feel good sellout streaks. It is an easily manipulated number. The comp, when used wisely, is a useful tool. Take a likely unused seat, get a person in it. That person then pays for parking, food, maybe some merchandise and experiences a live game. It's the same logic behind college and military discounts ... get more people than just the die hards in the arena.

All it takes is an email to distribute a ticket. Welcome to the digital age.

Less than 100% attendance against the Islanders is expected .... even on a Saturday during football season.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Absolutely wrong, just based off the fact that last year they admitted that the comps were more than the previous year.

Complimentary tickets are distributed tickets.

mind_blown.gif

Forsberg had glaringly bad possession numbers on a night where nearly everyone else was great. His icetime took a hit as well.

Leash shortening?

Probably just a reflexive thing based on that game alone. If Trotz is tightening up on him, we'll know it against Florida, where he should have an opportunity to feast on a really bad defensive team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad