Pre-Game Talk: Game 5: Pens vs. Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He thinks Bennett is a bust.

No. Not a bust at all. Don't put words in my mouth or spin what I'm saying because you may not agree. How childish.

What I mean is that he's been played on the 1st line...and then he gets bumped to the third. Don't know why but there's something there that DB sees that makes him not want him there. Doesn't mean I agree of course. If he was Blysmas answer, he'd be there longer than 1-2 shifts.

CrozJawz*

No. Not a bust at all. Don't put words in my mouth or spin what I'm saying because you may not agree. How childish.

What I mean is that he's been played on the 1st line...and then he gets bumped to the third. Don't know why but there's something there that DB sees that makes him not want him there. Doesn't mean I agree of course. If he was Blysmas answer, he'd be there longer than 1-2 shifts.

This was covered the other day. Remember that clip of Bennett "defending" Johnson on one of his goals???

His defensive game is severely lacking and probably the reason he is where he is.

ObsessedCreative*

This was covered the other day. Remember that clip of Bennett "defending" Johnson on one of his goals???

His defensive game is severely lacking and probably the reason he is where he is.

That in of itself is beyond Pejorative Slured Bylsma logic because the 3rd & 4th lines are where you want your players to be very defensively responsible... Ughhh :shakehead

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Can't we have both?

Two possible outcomes.

1) Pens are toast and they get routed.

2) Pens are awake, and they dominate.

No in between.

I think Bylsma is a punchline, but I still worship at the house of Sid and Geno, so I'll say Pens, comfortably.

I don't see why both 1 and 2 can't happen in the same game!
They pretty much have the whole series!

Maddening.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
That in of itself is beyond Pejorative Slured Bylsma logic because the 3rd & 4th lines are where you want your players to be very defensively responsible... Ughhh :shakehead

There's that, and also you need a very very good microscope to actually find a defensively responsible Penguin in this series.

But hey, Bylsma's perfectly justified to single Bennett out time and time again.

Nothing to see here, move it along.

CrozJawz*

Thus why you have Adams, Glass, and Orpik defending a 5 on 3...:help:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'll tell you what would be scary... DB and Shero learning their lessons and going as a tandem to Washington since they just fired both of theirs.

INteresting interesting interesting... could be a Pens worst nightmare.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Sid has had a couple 2 on 1 this series and a 3 on 1, none of them resulted in goals, hes also had tons of pp time, most of Sid's pp time has resulted in Sid trying to pass the puck through 3 CBJ players.

Anyways im done with the Sid and Geno bashing, its hard debating Sid and Geno on this board, there are large groups of fans who love Sid and Geno and are going to try and defend him no matter how he plays, there are even MAF fans who will defend him no matter how he plays.

I just really hated hearing Sid say its not that uncommon to go 4 playoff games without a goal.

Is that a problem with Crosby or lack of movement on our PP? When Sid has the puck, do you notice anyone doing anything to give him options? I sure don't. We play a stationary, perimeter PP and it's what forces Sid to thread passes through 3 guys(it's also why aggressive PKs eat us alive). When he actually does it, we all marvel at his passing ability. When he doesn't we **** on him for trying it.

Guys like Sid and Geno are supposed to be the ones trying the risky plays because they're the only guys with the talent to actually pull them off sometimes. You accept that they'll have some turnovers because they're, rightly, given more creative freedom. The problem isn't that Sid tries risky passes or that Geno tries beating guys one-on-one, the problem is that it's all we have. They don't choose to do it, they have to. What's the alternative? Sid and Geno playing run-of-the-mill dump and chase hockey and relying on their teammates to create? I don't see that working.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
I'll tell you what would be scary... DB and Shero learning their lessons and going as a tandem to Washington since they just fired both of theirs.

That would be, but I'm pretty convinced DB at least is incapable of learning any lesson at all.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Ha. Bring it on. And send them Adams, Orpik and co. with them.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Yea dude, Dan Bylsma coaching Alex Ovechkin really keeps me up at night

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Well, the Capitals would definitely go back to being a good regular season team under Shero and Bylsma. Not sure how they would do in the playoffs though. The more I think about Ray Shero, the more I'm starting to think he's just another David Poile.

DeadGator401

Feb 7, 2011
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the pens were playing to their opponent? Like how they play well vs. the best teams in the reg season, and like dirt vs. Florida?

I'm reaching for straws :(

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB

Ugh. I don't want to see them go to one of my least favourite teams.

That would be very interesting though. I could see it happening if we fire them.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That would be absolutely amazing if DB got canned and picked up by Washington! Oh man would that be sweet. But to be honest, I'd put actual money down on him going to Nashville. Opening up a little offense from a very strict defensive system and getting the most out of a skill challenged team.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Is that a problem with Crosby or lack of movement on our PP? When Sid has the puck, do you notice anyone doing anything to give him options? I sure don't. We play a stationary, perimeter PP and it's what forces Sid to thread passes through 3 guys(it's also why aggressive PKs eat us alive). When he actually does it, we all marvel at his passing ability. When he doesn't we **** on him for trying it.

Guys like Sid and Geno are supposed to be the ones trying the risky plays because they're the only guys with the talent to actually pull them off sometimes. You accept that they'll have some turnovers because they're, rightly, given more creative freedom. The problem isn't that Sid tries risky passes or that Geno tries beating guys one-on-one, the problem is that it's all we have. They don't choose to do it, they have to. What's the alternative? Sid and Geno playing run-of-the-mill dump and chase hockey and relying on their teammates to create? I don't see that working.

Your blaming the 4 other players on the PP for Sid trying to pass through 3 CBJ players.

I know lots of us love Sid here, but some of these excuses for him are starting to get really silly.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
That would be absolutely amazing if DB got canned and picked up by Washington! Oh man would that be sweet. But to be honest, I'd put actual money down on him going to Nashville. Opening up a little offense from a very strict defensive system and getting the most out of a skill challenged team.

I think he'd be pretty good in Nashville. DB would bring out a lot out of that team. They're not overly skilled so he'd make them a great team :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

If Bylsma hasn't learned his lesson by now, I doubt he ever will. He's shown absolutely zero growth as a coach since the time he first landed the job until now.

I mean, maybe getting fired might be the thing that flips the switch in his head. But he just seems like the type who is convinced his way is perfect and that outside factors conspire to keep his way from succeeding.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Your blaming the 4 other players on the PP for Sid trying to pass through 3 CBJ players.

I know lots of us love Sid here, but some of these excuses for him are starting to get really silly.

What's the alternative? You do realize that Crosby's impossible passes are one of the few reasons our PP has had a respectable percentage all year, right? We live and die with Sid and Geno making nearly impossible plays. It's not making excuses for them, it's being realistic about the way this team is built and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad