GDT: Game 5: Columbus at Ottawa | 10/18 7PM EDT

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Same thing with Erixon on the PP. Todd Richards is a damn good coach, but sometimes the things he does confuse me to no end...

Our D isn't leaving him with great options. I'm not entirely sure that Golo would do any better than Prout is doing, and I'm not entirely sure that Erixon is any worse than Jack on the PP. Erixon's not great, but Jack can't hit the net and it's painful to watch.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Our D isn't leaving him with great options. I'm not entirely sure that Golo would do any better than Prout is doing, and I'm not entirely sure that Erixon is any worse than Jack on the PP. Erixon's not great, but Jack can't hit the net and it's painful to watch.

JJ's play is probably my biggest disappointment do far this season.

not sure the locker room is big enough for both his ego and joey's

Calling someone with the CBJ a selfish egotist, despite evidence that is accepted only by those who say it, is all the rage these days.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Hoped we would win this one because this is a tough road trip. But, no shame in this loss. The Sens, like Dallas are an improved team. Both losses were close, and we showed resilience in both of them.

Hoping for a couple of wins out west now, but I think we are not playing bad hockey, and when our injured players return (not counting Horton at this point) things will be even better.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Wow, hadn't read any of the thread and came to post my disdain for Prout. Looks like I am not alone seeing this last page. Brutal last night. I realize he has size but he simply isn't very good.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Same thing with Erixon on the PP. Todd Richards is a damn good coach, but sometimes the things he does confuse me to no end...

What option does he have ? Erixon was really good on the power play at Springfield, and has only played a handful of games. Dubinsky and Jenner also are missing from the power play . I'm sure hockey is like other sports where the game speed is much faster until the game slows down. Were 3-2 at this point , with Dubinsky, Jenner, Murray all out, and of course Horton . I'm totally down for making a trade for a young player like erble, or yakupov because I think our team is really close to being a serious contender. If we can play around 500 hockey until the guys return , I think we will be in good shape .

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So about that "this is the most skilled team we've ever iced" thing..

not exactly sure what point you are trying to make but I would argue that the team with Nash & Carter had a lot of skill just that it didn't mesh for many reasons. Other than that I think the statement is correct because the rest of Jacket history speaks for itself. Also think the phrase probably originated thinking that Dubi, Jenner & Murray would be in the line-up.

2minpenalty

Mar 29, 2011
He's just not that good. Dunno why the CBJ media and company keep hyping him up as a key piece to our future. He's just not that good.. not downright terrible, but not good.

Prout is a big body, that's really what he is. I believe his lack of speed and mediocre passing is hurting Tyutin. Golo was an all star last year and has better mobility and from what I can see has a very good first pass. Richards needs to shake things up, that's coaching. I read somewhere the Leafs sat Jake Gardiner for 2 games, there is a coach who is trying different things.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Disappointed in coming away with nothing, West coast trip may be rough. 3/6 points is best case I am thinking. Need to get healthy and fast. Still pretty happy with the start, just need a bit more consistency night to night.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Disappointed in coming away with nothing, West coast trip may be rough. 3/6 points is best case I am thinking. Need to get healthy and fast. Still pretty happy with the start, just need a bit more consistency night to night.

I'd be happy with 3 points. Two points would surprise me.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
JJ's play is probably my biggest disappointment do far this season.

I agree Johnson is a big disappointment 5 games into the season. These games count just as much as games 81 and 82. I thought after he got off to a poor start last season (cost him a spot on Olympic team), that he would have a much better start to this season.

I am also down on Prout, way down. Looks completely lost half the time. He is slow moving the puck, and out of position way too often.

What our anyone's thoughts on acquiring Tim Gleason from the Hurricanes. I'd give them Prout straight out. Gleason brings experience, leadership, and playoff experience. Thought's?

thebus2288*

Jared Boll is not Ryan Johansen.

Dalton Prout is not Ryan Murray.

I wish Prout would've just came in hard and knocked the puck in the corner but Hoffman did make a very good, and very quick play to knock the puck over to Legwand.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Jared Boll is not Ryan Johansen.

Dalton Prout is not Ryan Murray.

I wish Prout would've just came in hard and knocked the puck in the corner but Hoffman did make a very good, and very quick play to knock the puck over to Legwand.
Yeah, they're not those guys, they are who they are. But they aren't free to play like dog **** without criticism just because "hey, I'm not Johansen/Murray!"

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think with Johnson, Tyutin, Wiz, and Savard/Erixon/Murray coming up soon that management isn't keen on spending more money on the backend (unless we move one of the aforementioned 3).

The positive that Prout has (similar to Methot years ago) is that he's cheap.

I'm a bit higher on Johnson than most. Yeah he needs to step up more offensively, but defensively I can hardly fault him these last 5 games. Last night, for instance, the ref set a MAJOR pick on him and it was Savard who misplayed the player/puck.

My issue is that the defensemen we have WORK by themselves (minus maybe Prout). They just need proper partners. Prout isn't a great partner for Tyutin, Erixon isn't a great partner for Wisniewski, and Savard isn't a great partner for Johnson. I think Ryan Murray could work with any of them, but that's about it. Thing is, trading for an established defensemen could work or it could be more of the same, we don't know. What we need to do is have the forwards work extra hard defensively and have Bob work extra hard himself. Problem is -- we're missing Jenner, Dubinsky, and Murray which really exposes our defense.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think with Johnson, Tyutin, Wiz, and Savard/Erixon/Murray coming up soon that management isn't keen on spending more money on the backend (unless we move one of the aforementioned 3).

The positive that Prout has (similar to Methot years ago) is that he's cheap.

I'm a bit higher on Johnson than most. Yeah he needs to step up more offensively, but defensively I can hardly fault him these last 5 games. Last night, for instance, the ref set a MAJOR pick on him and it was Savard who misplayed the player/puck.

My issue is that the defensemen we have WORK by themselves (minus maybe Prout). They just need proper partners. Prout isn't a great partner for Tyutin, Erixon isn't a great partner for Wisniewski, and Savard isn't a great partner for Johnson. I think Ryan Murray could work with any of them, but that's about it. Thing is, trading for an established defensemen could work or it could be more of the same, we don't know. What we need to do is have the forwards work extra hard defensively and have Bob work extra hard himself. Problem is -- we're missing Jenner, Dubinsky, and Murray which really exposes our defense.
I agree, outside of Johansen and Bob they are our most important players. Dubinsky and Jenner define our brand of hockey, and Murray acts as the stabilizer to the blue line. Without them we can easily be exposed.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Tough loss for the Jackets. They really didnt do anything wrong or play badly, the bounces simply didnt go their way and didnt capitalize on the chances that they got. Some excellent goaltending and capitalizing on chances by the Sens didnt help either. ;)

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Hartnell has been more disappointing than Johnson for me at this point....but Jack isn't far behind.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I don't really get the Hartnell bashing. He's got 4 points in 5 games. :dunno:

He's -2, is that it? No goals?

He hasn't killed us with stupid penalties and has shown some very nice touch with passes for primary assists. He sent a good pass to AA (I think) last game but it was just out of reach, after having gone through a couple defenders in the crease.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

He hasn't killed us with stupid penalties and has shown some very nice touch with passes for primary assists. He sent a good pass to AA (I think) last game but it was just out of reach, after having gone through a couple defenders in the crease.

People secretly miss Umby :sarcasm:

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

Call it bashing if you want, I'm merely disappointed. I thought he'd be an upgrade. Of course RJ isn't doing much in Philly either.

Turnovers and penalties. He was terrible in the loss vs Dallas, not hanging the game on him, but he directly contributed to 2 of their goals.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Call it bashing if you want, I'm merely disappointed. I thought he'd be an upgrade. Of course RJ isn't doing much in Philly either.

Turnovers and penalties. He was terrible in the loss vs Dallas, not hanging the game on him, but he directly contributed to 2 of their goals.

sorry, didn't mean to mischaracterize your disappointment. And thanks for elaborating, that's what I was interested in. I'll watch closer. But I must say, I do approve of the edge he brings.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
sorry, didn't mean to mischaracterize your disappointment. And thanks for elaborating, that's what I was interested in. I'll watch closer. But I must say, I do approve of the edge he brings.

np, I understand where you are coming from.

Here are two of the Hartnell defensive gems that I'm referring too (this was from a Jack Johnson thread on the mains):

[NHL]2014020005-403-h[/NHL]

[NHL]2014020042-75-h[/NHL]

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 1m1 minute ago
Try this again. #CBJ G Curtis McElhinney (head, neck) is feeling much better and will likely join club on the trip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad