Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Avs @ Sens | South Park Hockey | Thursday Oct. 16th 5:30 MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
The way I see it is a struggling team lost their two goalies and it hurt their confidence even more. This team is in a funk right now. Its far from pickards fault. The goals he let in were probably saveable but you have to feel for the kid. There was a ton of pressure on them to win this game and he got put in under pretty much the worst conditions possible. I still think its far from panic time. They played pretty decent outside the third IMO. Yes, their compete level needs to come way up. Yes there are way too many mental errors happening right no . They're 1-3-1 right now. Its far from time to panic. I think the fans on these boards got a bit spoiled last year. These streaks happen. I guarantee this team will be fighting for a playoff spot come the end of the year. Put the guns down for now. Patty said over and over again last year in the playoffs that we skipped some steps in the rebuild and he was right. This team hasn't had to learn how to battle through adversity yet and they're learning now.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Wow...sending Everberg down when he's played better than the likes of Cliche...

Do you really want Everberg wasting away on the 4th line? Plus there's a possibility that Winchester is coming back soon as well. Everberg needs ice time to improve his game and become a good top 9 player for us. If we need Everberg back for the 3rd line, he'll be back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Calm down... it is simply because of waivers. They needed a roster spot to hold 3 goalies and Everberg's is the easiest to get. As I said in the Everberg thread, this means Berra could potentially be back on Tuesday.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Waiver exemption and the fact that Roy sees Cliche as a good versitile C/W that can PK and play a small 4th line role made this a no brainer. Likely also means that Berra may not be headed to IR and will be back sooner than later.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I would have preferred to call Will up for a game since he sounds the most composed of our LE goalies. Hoping that whoever plays has a solid game on Saturday. I will be watching a recording of that one.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
As someone who's watched him the last few years he's been absolutely hated on by Boston fans and the Pens fans had mixed emotions about him because he produced going into the playoffs where it was possibly just the coach mismanaging him at the time.

Back to Boston though, he looked slow and played a lot of perimeter hockey. Had something like 4 goals in his first 25 games (you'd have to look that up, but it's close enough) before he picked up the pace. He skates like he's wearing cement boots a good portion of the time, but he still shows flashes of being an impact player. With Iggy I think he's still useful for his one timer on the PP and he did score or contribute on the rush a lot with the bruins (goes to the net), but he doesn't really have the speed to get in there on the forecheck anymore and create any sustained pressure which leads to a lot of him looking like a passenger on his line when his teammates can't or don't win board battles consistently (played with Lucic and Krejci.. so hardly an issue when they were playing well).

Hope this gives you a bit more of an understanding of what to expect from him. He might somehow put in another 30 goals, but he's not going to look great doing it.

Wasn't he liked in Boston? he scored 30 goals with them, can't see why they would be upset with him.

I don't see Duchene and Iginla fitting well together, I hope Roy switches this soon. Duchene just plays a much faster game than Iginla, Iginla looks lost out there, like he did with the Penguins.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Wasn't he liked in Boston? he scored 30 goals with them, can't see why they would be upset with him.

I don't see Duchene and Iginla fitting well together, I hope Roy switches this soon. Duchene just plays a much faster game than Iginla, Iginla looks lost out there, like he did with the Penguins.

many weren't happy with his playoffs.

he was snake-bit though, had so many posts. but he didn't have extra gear.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
95-96 anyone? Avs started the season 2-4.

There is still hope.

In 9 days O'Reilly will be traded for Yandle.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
ha, not a bad guess. i had chances 5-10 against the avs ES.

We had to have more than that. Did all our pressure come on the PP?

Eurolanche is saying on Twitter that Aittokallio has been recalled, leaving Will alone in LE (until they call up Tremblay assuming).

Booooooooo.

Where is the damn LE feed. I just want to see this kid play. Only player who I didn't get to see in action during camp.

Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche 1m1 minute ago
Roster moves with @monstershockey: G Sami Aittokallio has been recalled, RW Dennis Everberg has been reassigned

You got to be ******** me. What are these guys thinking? I guess being big and physical while also having skill and solid defensive acumen just isn't the right fit for the bottom line, which he should not be on anyways when the 3rd is struggling. I don't care what the waiver status is for everyone. Play the best players. Cliche, Guenin, Wilson, those guys are not going to get picked up on waivers.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's going to be interesting to see if Roy gives the start to Aittokallio or Pickard tomorrow, if Berra can't play.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Holden has been a pretty large disappointment. He had a great camp, looked good in pre-season, but nothing has carried over. He played well against Boston, and in the first period of Toronto, but other than that, hasn't been great.

Stuart on the third pairing should be alright. He's good on the PK, but the Avs need to put Redmond with him so someone can skate/move the puck.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
We had to have more than that. Did all our pressure come on the PP?

Booooooooo.

Where is the damn LE feed. I just want to see this kid play. Only player who I didn't get to see in action during camp.

You got to be ******** me. What are these guys thinking? I guess being big and physical while also having skill and solid defensive acumen just isn't the right fit for the bottom line, which he should not be on anyways when the 3rd is struggling. I don't care what the waiver status is for everyone. Play the best players. Cliche, Guenin, Wilson, those guys are not going to get picked up on waivers.

How many penalties have we had to kill already this year?
Roy sees Cliche as an integral part of our success on the PK.
He's given Everbeast a chance there, and apparently Roy wasn't impressed enough to keep him up over putting Cliche on waivers.
Everbeast can still be called up again -- and likely will be when more injuries hit the 3rd/4th lines.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
How many penalties have we had to kill already this year?
Roy sees Cliche as an integral part of our success on the PK.
He's given Everbeast a chance there, and apparently Roy wasn't impressed enough to keep him up over putting Cliche on waivers.
Everbeast can still be called up again -- and likely will be when more injuries hit the 3rd/4th lines.
Everberg did play over 3 minutes on the PK yesterday, so I don't think it's that he doesn't trust him there, it's that he's the easy one to send down to clear up a roster spot.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I think Roy just went with the waiver exempt player and nothing else. If Winch isn't back yet, I'll bet Everberg replaces one of the LE goalies when they get sent down and Cliche is scratched again. I thought Everberg was great on the PK.

Another big issue is how many penalties this team has taken. It is hard to get into any sort of rhythm or to keep lines and pairings together when they are being shaken up because of special teams, especially the PK.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm sorry but Guenin and Cliche are not good enough on the PK to be kept in the lineup over Redmond and especially Everberg...

You have O'Reilly, Talbot, Mitchell (Added), Landeskog, and Mcleod who can all PK as forwards. Not that Duchene is a main option, but he likes doing it and is good at it as well.

O'Reilly and Landeskog really should see time on the PK with their defensive ability. I understand wanting to conserve your top players energy, but they should be second unit on a regular basis IMO. It's wasting two players natural ability.

Then EJ, Stuart, Hejda, and Holden can all play on the PK as well.

Count me as tired of that excuse... :rant:

Guenin throwing the puck over the glass made me want to :banghead:

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah I don't see them going with Pickard as the backup. I believe Varly will be back in a week but if Berra isn't back soon they will probably have to sign someone. Who other than Bryz and Marty are available?

Jiggy out of retirement to rescue the team

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I don't want to dump on the guy, but he just wasn't good, would you feel confident if he gets the start tomorrow?

Confident? No, but I know when it's unfair to totally dump on a guy. I also wouldn't even feel confident with Berra in net, to be fair.

This was after.

Is it that hard to believe that they might have a source that gives them information? I don't think it is.

I would have preferred to call Will up for a game since he sounds the most composed of our LE goalies. Hoping that whoever plays has a solid game on Saturday. I will be watching a recording of that one.

Why is everyone on the "call up Will" bandwagon?

I understand he stuck around the longest at training camp, but that doesn't mean the organization has him listed as their 3rd goalie. He's 5th in my books, at least until he gets some more experience. He's raw and a bit erratic in the net. Plus a guy like Aittokallio actually has NHL experience.

The move to call him up makes perfect sense and was probably a very easy decision.

Holden has been a pretty large disappointment. He had a great camp, looked good in pre-season, but nothing has carried over. He played well against Boston, and in the first period of Toronto, but other than that, hasn't been great.

Stuart on the third pairing should be alright. He's good on the PK, but the Avs need to put Redmond with him so someone can skate/move the puck.

I was never a big fan of Holden last year and am not too surprised to see him struggling. He's an AHL defender that happened to have a good stretch last year, make the team and post an extremely high, and un-repeatable, shooting percentage.

Very upset Roy hasn't at least given Redmond a look out there considering how 3-4 of our defenceman are constant trainwrecks, Holden included.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pickard lasted the longest in camp. Chambers said last night Will was the next one to get called up. I guess he just made it up. I like Will but he hasn't even played an AHL game, how could anyone form a real opinion on him?

Holden is not that bad and he's not going anywhere. He's been playing top pairing with EJ, probably a big adjustment to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad