Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Avs @ Sens | South Park Hockey | Thursday Oct. 16th 5:30 MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Pretty much this.

It was just pure bad luck but Pickard played really well for his first NHL start which must have given him huge nerves to start with, nevermind getting thrown in unexpectedly, travelled all day, didn't get a morning skate and had to play with some terrible defense.

But yes absolutely it's all the rookie goalies fault :laugh:

I question if some people even watch the games or even realise it's a team game....one guy doesn't make or break a game!
I thought he played well too.

If anything he might be worse tomorrow. He had to have been on pure adrenaline last night. He had no expectations of playing and then boom...he's in.

Now if he's gonna be the starter he's gonna be sitting around thinking about it all day and the nerves start creeping in.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
So wait. Playing in the AHL and playing in the NHL (Pretty much the same thing I guess) for his first ever appearance after traveling all day to get there and literally being thrown in on a moments notice without even getting a realistic warm up doesn't count for anything?

It's his job to start in the AHL. This is like expecting mitchel and cliche to produce at duchene/mack's level because they're professional athletes and it's their new job when it falls to them.

Seriously? I thought he actually looked pretty ok all things considered and would be down for giving him another look.

So you're saying a young rookie goaltender absolutely should have a strong first game in the NHL no matter what the circumstances, and saying otherwise is just giving him cheap excuses? That's ridiculous.

Your expectations are way too high. If the best goalie in the world can have bad games, so can Pickard in the situation he was in for his first NHL game.

Bottom line to me is he looked like crap last night. All 4 goals were "bad" goals to give up imo. I just hate how people are saying it's ok for him to not play well simply because he didn't have enough time to prepare himself. He is a professional athlete - he should always be prepared no matter the situation.

It's fine for him to have a bad game don't get me wrong, but he looked fundamentally weak last night. Hopefully he comes out much stronger tomorrow night.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Bottom line to me is he looked like crap last night. All 4 goals were "bad" goals to give up imo. I just hate how people are saying it's ok for him to not play well simply because he didn't have enough time to prepare himself. He is a professional athlete - he should always be prepared no matter the situation.

It's fine for him to have a bad game don't get me wrong, but he looked fundamentally weak last night. Hopefully he comes out much stronger tomorrow night.

Pickard made at least three spectacular saves I can remember right off the top of my head. Saying he played like crap is greatly exaggerating the effort he gave last night.

Varly would have had a tough time winning that game with the way the Avs were giving up at the end. Simply put, they played no more than 30 minutes of solid hockey all game. The rest they left up to Pickard to bail their ***** out of.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm getting the feeling Pickard is going to start tomorrow. Roy had a comment about looking in his eyes today and trying to read any nervousness. You don't do or say that if you are not planning to play him.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Pickard made at least three spectacular saves I can remember right off the top of my head. Saying he played like crap is greatly exaggerating the effort he gave last night.

Varly would have had a tough time winning that game with the way the Avs were giving up at the end. Simply put, they played no more than 30 minutes of solid hockey all game. The rest they left up to Pickard to bail their ***** out of.

It's true, he did make some spectacular saves last night especially the breakaway chance, but I still believe the 4 goals he gave up were "bad goals". I think with a healthy Varly we would have at least won 3-2. The 2nd and 3rd goals were not NHL level at all.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Roy is probably trying to protect Pickard with the 'safer' Guenin. That's like trying to avoid getting pregnant by using bacon instead of condoms.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It's incredibly asinine that after the continued Nathan Guenin blunders that we see every game, he still finds himself in the starting lineup.

I'm not saying that Redmond being in would be an "automatic win"--but we already KNOW what we're getting with Guenin. We're getting someone who doesn't make good decisions with the puck, even when he's not being highly pressured (as evidenced by his Delay of Game penalty against Ottawa). He's not mobile, he doesn't make good decisions, and I'm sorry--his ability on the PK does not make up for the messes he makes.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It's incredibly asinine that after the continued Nathan Guenin blunders that we see every game, he still finds himself in the starting lineup.

I'm not saying that Redmond being in would be an "automatic win"--but we already KNOW what we're getting with Guenin. We're getting someone who doesn't make good decisions with the puck, even when he's not being highly pressured (as evidenced by his Delay of Game penalty against Ottawa). He's not mobile, he doesn't make good decisions, and I'm sorry--his ability on the PK does not make up for the messes he makes.

agreed.

at least last year he was playing well when barrie was scratched.

now that 3rd pairing has no ability to move the puck which is one of the teams biggest issues.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
J-F Chaumont ‏@JFChaumontJDM 1m
#Avalanche: À la ligne bleue: Holden-Johnson, Hejda-Barrie, Stuart-Guenin.

#FreeRedmond

Man that's such weak pairings, Holden is garbage, Hejda is done and Guenin is barely AHL material. We need EJ to be a stud and Barrie to be better. Stuart has been ok for third pairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad