GDT: Game 5: Avs in LA | October 18, 2015 | 8 PM MT | Unsustainable Stats Edition

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Duchene probably puts a lot of pressure on himself to contribute so I don't have a problem with him celebrating after a goal when he's been scoreless.

I don't think his problem this year has been him trying stupid stuff, as he is prone to do when he's not produced. He just hasn't clicked with his line mates at all and to be fair, I think Iginla is a bigger reason for that than Duchene is.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Can someone explain the Duchene celebration issue to me? I've seen it mentioned on twitter a few times today. He did something wrong there?
People want players to be robots, which is beyond stupid. But it probably also has something to do with who scored. How come no one complained when MacKinnon jumped into Landy's arms after his goal on Friday night?

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I have mixed opinions on Rantanen. Objectively, I would prefer him to go down to the AHL and work on bits of his game for this level but he has flashes of good things going out there. He gets lost defensively sometimes (and sometimes offensively when he doesn't have the puck). He is not strong enough and cannot skate well enough yet to be as effective as he wants to be and I think he hesitates because of it sometimes. He looked great against the Ducks and like a rookie again last game. He is learning pretty quickly though and can be effective at this level at times. I cannot wait until his skating and strength arrives in a couple years. Kid's gonna be good.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I've said it before that I don't think it would be surprise to see Rantanen get a short AHL stint. Just to get his confidence back up, because I'm sure he'd go down and produce just fine. After that, he'd get called back up and probably get used a bit more.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, I agree. The whole discussion is just odd. That was a big goal for him and the team. He should celebrate there.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
That's just silly. He was in a slump and was pumped that he scored. And like people have said, he's always been an emotional players.

It has absolutely nothing to do with maturity.

He hasn't learned how to control his emotions, and that is a sign of his immaturity as a hockey player.

He is still pretty much the same player that he was when we drafted him.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
He hasn't learned how to control his emotions, and that is a sign of his immaturity as a hockey player.

Not being a robot = immaturity. Got it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
People want players to be robots, which is beyond stupid. But it probably also has something to do with who scored. How come no one complained when MacKinnon jumped into Landy's arms after his goal on Friday night?

"Act like you've been there before"

God I hate old-timer cliches like that. The most exciting player in the league acts like he scored his 1st career goal every time he scores, and nobody in Washington complains one bit.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Roy is using Rantanen properly. He could probably replace Tanguay on the PP and Avs would do as well, but a coach has to observe seniority as well.

Make Rantanen earn it. It won't hurt him.

I also don't mind Roy babying kids like Mikko, Mikhail and Nikita in the early going here. Those kids can be big pieces for us both later this year, and next year if we hope to make a run at the cup; and getting them accustomed to playing with this team in tiny roles while the rest of the roster settles in is not a bad idea...unless the kid's just knocking the doors down like Landy, RoR and Duchene did.

Anyway missed this game to; who did Zads end up playing with in lieu of Barrie? I hope Patrick didn't saddle him with Goofy or Plutto.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I also don't mind Roy babying kids like Mikko, Mikhail and Nikita in the early going here. Those kids can be big pieces for us both later this year, and next year if we hope to make a run at the cup; and getting them accustomed to playing with this team in tiny roles while the rest of the roster settles in is not a bad idea...unless the kid's just knocking the doors down like Landy, RoR and Duchene did.

Anyway missed this game to; who did Zads end up playing with in lieu of Barrie? I hope Patrick didn't saddle him with Goofy or Plutto.

There aren't any other options. It was Guenin.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

He played mostly with Guenin, as Guenin has proved to be a calming influence on young defensemen.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka

I know I said I wouldn't talk anymore about it, but I agree with this for the most part. To me it's more that he needs to learn how to channel his emotions better. Even out the highs and lows.

You'd think playing with all of these veterans would help him out and maybe it will in the long run. I really hope for the sake of the Avs and him that he gets through this and becomes a better player all around.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

If someone has a chance to jump into Landeskog's arms, why pass?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm loving what I'm seeing from Zadorov and he's very fun to watch. Last few games he seems to be all over the place in every zone. I know reining him in a bit has been mentioned but I think they should let him play his game. He has gotten caught a couple of times by either jumping up in the offensive zone or going for a big hit but in general he seems to pick his spots smartly.

Where do you guys think he should play going forward? I can see the argument against putting him with Barrie but they looked fine together earlier and the alternative is even worse. Barrie is also at his best when he's moving his feet and jumping up any chance he gets so we'll see some odd man rushes going the other way but that still might be the best option.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
"Act like you've been there before"

God I hate old-timer cliches like that. The most exciting player in the league acts like he scored his 1st career goal every time he scores, and nobody in Washington complains one bit.

Dude's never won a championship, so there's that.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think it's a maturity issue. He himself said it's about him having a hard time letting go when he's not playing well, so him celebrating as that is probably more a manifestation of relief than anything else.

I'm a bit surprised there is so much vitriol in some of the posts about Duchene. It's his sixth year. He is what he is and perhaps he'll become more even keeled when he ages but he's probably always going to be one of those players that's going to get caught up in pressure and emotion a bit too much.

I'm not sure why MacKinnon jumping the glass is fine and Duchene doing it isn't.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I don't think it's a maturity issue. He himself said it's about him having a hard time letting go when he's not playing well, so him celebrating as that is probably more a manifestation of relief than anything else.

I'm a bit surprised there is so much vitriol in some of the posts about Duchene. It's his sixth year. He is what he is and perhaps he'll become more even keeled when he ages but he's probably always going to be one of those players that's going to get caught up in pressure and emotion a bit too much.

I'm not sure why MacKinnon jumping the glass is fine and Duchene doing it isn't.

Yeah, this is a good argument, and I'm not really sure why I like Mack's more.

Like said a couple of days ago, to be fair to Dutchy doesn't he usually have slow starts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad